Обсуждение: Status report on 8.3 release

Status report on 8.3 release

Дата:
I wanted to give everyone an overview of where we are for 8.3.  We have
addressed almost every major issue for 8.3 but we are getting a steady
stream of minor cleanups.  These cleanups are vital to keep the quality
of Postgres at a high level.  It allows us to make major changes in
every release but continue to produce a very reliable database system.
8.3 is going to be a watershed release, like 8.0, so it is not
surprising we have cleaning up to do.  Please keep up that activity.

I expect these cleanups to continue for at least another week or two.
Once they slow we will schedule RC1.  Of course, we are getting near
Christmas, so that might affect the final release schedule as well.
Based on everything above, it is likely that 8.3 final will not be until
the first week of January.

I know everyone wanted this to be a short release schedule but the
feature set just kept growing, so while we have the normal year-to-year
release schedule, we do have a blockbuster release that we can all be
proud of.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: Status report on 8.3 release

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 11:26 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I expect these cleanups to continue for at least another week or two.
> Once they slow we will schedule RC1.

So are there no plans for an additional beta? Given the recent addition
of changes like

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2007-11/msg00552.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2007-11/msg00532.php

I wonder if another beta before RC1 would be warranted.

-Neil

Re: Status report on 8.3 release

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: Status report on 8.3 release

Дата:
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> So are there no plans for an additional beta?

Yes, there are, but not till we do something about
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-11/msg01302.php
        regards, tom lane

Re: Status report on 8.3 release

От
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Дата:
Hello,

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:21:09 -0500 Tom Lane wrote:

> Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> > So are there no plans for an additional beta?
>
> Yes, there are, but not till we do something about
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-11/msg01302.php

i would also like to test another Beta, if we do something about this
problem:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-11/msg00960.php

Kind regards

--             Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: Status report on 8.3 release

От
"Brendan Jurd"
Дата:
On Nov 30, 2007 11:10 AM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:
> i would also like to test another Beta, if we do something about this
> problem:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-11/msg00960.php

Hi Andreas,

Tom's already committed the quote_literal(anyelement) function.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2007-11/msg00530.php

Cheers
BJ

Re: Status report on 8.3 release

От
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Дата:
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 11:26:35 +1100 Brendan Jurd wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2007 11:10 AM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:
> > i would also like to test another Beta, if we do something about this
> > problem:
> >
> > http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-11/msg00960.php
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
> Tom's already committed the quote_literal(anyelement) function.
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2007-11/msg00530.php

Ups, i've overseen this one. Forget my posting and i will keep testing
the next beta ;-)

Kind regards

--             Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: Status report on 8.3 release

От
Gregory Stark
Дата:
"Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> writes:

> i would also like to test another Beta, if we do something about this
> problem:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-11/msg00960.php

That's already done, it would be in the next beta. You could check out a copy
from CVS HEAD if you want to test it now.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's PostGIS support!

Re: Status report on 8.3 releaset

Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 14:01:11 -0800
> Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 11:26 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > I expect these cleanups to continue for at least another week or
> > > two. Once they slow we will schedule RC1.
> >
> > So are there no plans for an additional beta? Given the recent
> > addition of changes like
> >
> > http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2007-11/msg00552.php
> > http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2007-11/msg00532.php
> >
> > I wonder if another beta before RC1 would be warranted.
>
> I think the email is not quite clear :). There is a Beta 4 coming, the
> problem is packagers aren't really available this week so if it comes
> it will be next week.

Yes, there will be another beta before RC1.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com