Обсуждение: pg 8.3beta 2 restore db with autovacuum report

pg 8.3beta 2 restore db with autovacuum report

От
andy
Дата:
with autovacuum enabled with default settings, cramd.sql is 154M:

andy@slacker:/pub/back$ time pg_restore -Fc -C -d postgres cramd.sql

real    3m43.687s
user    0m11.689s
sys     0m0.868s
andy@slacker:/pub/back$

during restore we see scary things like:

root@slacker:~# ps awx|grep postgres 2497 ?        Ss     0:00 postgres: logger process 2499 ?        Ss     0:00
postgres:writer process 2500 ?        Ss     0:00 postgres: wal writer process 2501 ?        Ss     0:00 postgres:
autovacuumlauncher process 2502 ?        Ss     0:00 postgres: stats collector process 2519 pts/0    S+     0:12
pg_restore-Fc -C -d postgres cramd.sql 2521 ?        Ss     1:04 postgres: andy cramd [local] CREATE INDEX

waiting 2526 ?        Ss     0:03 postgres: autovacuum worker process   cramd 2571 ?        Ss     0:01 postgres:
autovacuumworker process   cramd 2582 pts/1    R+     0:00 grep postgres

Now I dropdb and disable autovacuum, restart pg:

andy@slacker:/pub/back$ time ( pg_restore -Fc -C -d postgres cramd.sql;
vacuumdb -z cramd )

real    3m47.229s
user    0m9.933s
sys     0m0.744s

Sweet, about the same amount of time.
Performed on my laptop, an asus m5n, running slackware 12

-Andy

Re: pg 8.3beta 2 restore db with autovacuum report

От
Alvaro Herrera
andy wrote:

> with autovacuum enabled with default settings, cramd.sql is 154M:
>
> andy@slacker:/pub/back$ time pg_restore -Fc -C -d postgres cramd.sql
>
> real    3m43.687s

[...]

> Now I dropdb and disable autovacuum, restart pg:
>
> andy@slacker:/pub/back$ time ( pg_restore -Fc -C -d postgres cramd.sql;
> vacuumdb -z cramd )
>
> real    3m47.229s
> user    0m9.933s
> sys     0m0.744s
>
> Sweet, about the same amount of time.

Thanks.  I find it strange that it takes 3 minutes to restore a 150 MB
database ... do you have many indexes?

Even though the restore times are very similar, I find it a bit
disturbing that the "CREATE INDEX" is shown to be waiting.  Was it just
bad luck that the ps output shows it that way, or does it really wait
for long?

Re: pg 8.3beta 2 restore db with autovacuum report

От
"Guillaume Smet"
Дата:
Alvaro,

On 11/2/07, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Even though the restore times are very similar, I find it a bit
> disturbing that the "CREATE INDEX" is shown to be waiting.  Was it just
> bad luck that the ps output shows it that way, or does it really wait
> for long?

I did the test again with the reference database I used a month ago.

My previous figures with 8.3devel of October 1st were:
- autovacuum off: 14m39
- autovacuum on, delay 20: 51m37

With 8.3devel of today, I have:
- autovacuum on, delay 20: 15m26

I can see (CREATE INDEX|ALTER TABLE) waiting from time to time in my
watch -n 1 but it disappears within 1 or 2 seconds so what Simon and
you did seems to work as expected AFAICS.

--
Guillaume

Re: pg 8.3beta 2 restore db with autovacuum report

От
andy
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> andy wrote:
>> with autovacuum enabled with default settings, cramd.sql is 154M:
>>
>> andy@slacker:/pub/back$ time pg_restore -Fc -C -d postgres cramd.sql
>>
>> real    3m43.687s
>
> [...]
>
>> Now I dropdb and disable autovacuum, restart pg:
>>
>> andy@slacker:/pub/back$ time ( pg_restore -Fc -C -d postgres cramd.sql;
>> vacuumdb -z cramd )
>>
>> real    3m47.229s
>> user    0m9.933s
>> sys     0m0.744s
>>
>> Sweet, about the same amount of time.
>
> Thanks.  I find it strange that it takes 3 minutes to restore a 150 MB
> database ... do you have many indexes?
>
> Even though the restore times are very similar, I find it a bit
> disturbing that the "CREATE INDEX" is shown to be waiting.  Was it just
> bad luck that the ps output shows it that way, or does it really wait
> for long?

There are about 800 tables, each has one index.  Most tables (75%) are
very small, the rest have, maybe 50K rows.

I had to run the ps several times to catch it waiting.  It didnt seem to
wait too long.

It was run on my laptop, which may not have the best io times in the
world (and it only has 512 Meg ram).

-Andy

Re: pg 8.3beta 2 restore db with autovacuum report

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Guillaume Smet wrote:

> I did the test again with the reference database I used a month ago.
>
> My previous figures with 8.3devel of October 1st were:
> - autovacuum off: 14m39
> - autovacuum on, delay 20: 51m37
>
> With 8.3devel of today, I have:
> - autovacuum on, delay 20: 15m26

Yay!  Thanks!

(It does take a bit longer, but I'm not really concerned about it.)

--
Alvaro Herrera                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/5ZYLFMCVHXC
"En las profundidades de nuestro inconsciente hay una obsesiva necesidad