Обсуждение: NO INHERIT

NO INHERIT

От
"Simon Riggs"
Дата:
I notice that we have two versions of not INHERITing:

ALTER ROLE meek NOINHERIT earth;

ALTER TABLE meek NO INHERIT earth;

Is there some merit in deciding on just one of these syntaxes? It seems
like we will have to support both the above, but we should encourage
just one common way, just for sanity?

(Yes, I understand the word means totally different thing in each case).

--  Simon Riggs              EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: NO INHERIT

Дата:
"Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> I notice that we have two versions of not INHERITing:
> ALTER ROLE meek NOINHERIT earth;

> ALTER TABLE meek NO INHERIT earth;

Where are you reading that?
        regards, tom lane

Re: NO INHERIT

От
Gregory Stark
Дата:
"Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:

> (Yes, I understand the word means totally different thing in each case).

Geez, you had me worried. So it's just the spelling that you're noting?

Re: NO INHERIT

От
"Simon Riggs"
Дата:
> "Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> > I notice that we have two versions of not INHERITing:
> > ALTER ROLE meek NOINHERIT earth;
>
> > ALTER TABLE meek NO INHERIT earth;
>
> Where are you reading that?

http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/sql-alterrole.html

http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/sql-altertable.html

... and gram.y

--  Simon Riggs              EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: NO INHERIT

От
"Simon Riggs"
Дата:
On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 22:36 +0100, Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>
> > (Yes, I understand the word means totally different thing in each case).
>
> Geez, you had me worried. So it's just the spelling that you're noting?

Yes, the space appears to be mis spelled.

--  Simon Riggs              EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: NO INHERIT

Дата:
"Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> "Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>>> I notice that we have two versions of not INHERITing:
>>> ALTER ROLE meek NOINHERIT earth;
>>>
>>> ALTER TABLE meek NO INHERIT earth;
>>
>> Where are you reading that?

> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/sql-alterrole.html
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/sql-altertable.html

Oh, you're complaining about the lack of parallelism between ALTER ROLE
and ALTER TABLE.  They're not really that parallel anyway:

regression=# ALTER ROLE meek NOINHERIT earth;
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "earth"
LINE 1: ALTER ROLE meek NOINHERIT earth;                                 ^
regression=#

It's actually "ALTER ROLE meek NOINHERIT", which is spelled that way
because user/role related options have always been spelled that way:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/6.4/static/sql-createuser.htm
Maybe we'd do it differently if we were starting over, but I don't
see a point in changing it now.
        regards, tom lane