Обсуждение: OT: IRC nick to real world mapping

OT: IRC nick to real world mapping

От
Lukas Kahwe Smith
Дата:
Hi,

I know this is slightly off topic, but I hope still useful enough to not
get my head cut off for posting this:
http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/IRC2RWNames

This is essentially a mapping of IRC nicks to real world names. While
maintaining the wishlist I keep forgetting the IRC nicks of people to
map to from the wishlist real world names. But I think this could be
generally useful, so I started the list. Please mail me off list with
whatever editions people have.

regards,
Lukas

Re: OT: IRC nick to real world mapping

Дата:
Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know this is slightly off topic, but I hope still useful enough to not
> get my head cut off for posting this:
> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/IRC2RWNames
>
> This is essentially a mapping of IRC nicks to real world names. While
> maintaining the wishlist I keep forgetting the IRC nicks of people to
> map to from the wishlist real world names. But I think this could be
> generally useful, so I started the list. Please mail me off list with
> whatever editions people have.

Ah, excellent.  Should we put this in the IRC topic line?

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: OT: IRC nick to real world mapping

От
Lukas Kahwe Smith
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I know this is slightly off topic, but I hope still useful enough to not
>> get my head cut off for posting this:
>> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/IRC2RWNames
>>
>> This is essentially a mapping of IRC nicks to real world names. While
>> maintaining the wishlist I keep forgetting the IRC nicks of people to
>> map to from the wishlist real world names. But I think this could be
>> generally useful, so I started the list. Please mail me off list with
>> whatever editions people have.
>
> Ah, excellent.  Should we put this in the IRC topic line?

if there is still some space in the topic ... sure!

regards,
Lukas

Re: OT: IRC nick to real world mapping

Дата:
Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith@pooteeweet.org> writes:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
>>> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/IRC2RWNames
>>
>> Ah, excellent.  Should we put this in the IRC topic line?

> if there is still some space in the topic ... sure!

Is there any cross-check on the correctness of this list?

(Hint: if someone shows up in IRC claiming to be me, he's more than
likely lying.)
        regards, tom lane

Re: OT: IRC nick to real world mapping

От
"Niels Breet"
Дата:
On Tue, February 13, 2007 07:39, Tom Lane wrote:
> Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith@pooteeweet.org> writes:
>
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>> Ah, excellent.  Should we put this in the IRC topic line?
>>>

>> if there is still some space in the topic ... sure!
>
> Is there any cross-check on the correctness of this list?
>

> (Hint: if someone shows up in IRC claiming to be me, he's more than
> likely lying.)

That is what registering your nick is supposed to help for.
http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#registering

- Niels

Re: OT: IRC nick to real world mapping

От
Dennis Bjorklund
Tom Lane skrev:

> Is there any cross-check on the correctness of this list?

As have been said, there is a registration service that makes it harder
to steal nicks.

There is no guarantee that anyone who claim to be this or that really is
who he say he is. On the other hand, a lot of us have been there most
every day the last 5 years or so and after a while you do get to know
the guy (or girl) behind the nick.

> (Hint: if someone shows up in IRC claiming to be me, he's more than
> likely lying.)

In the special case of you I'm pretty sure we would spot it very fast if
someone is pretending to be you. And if someone can fool us he would be
just as good as having the real thing in the channel :-)

/Dennis