Обсуждение: pg_ctl options

pg_ctl options

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
I notice that quite a few pg_ctl options have no long form equivalents,
namely these: NopPwW

Also, none of the long forms seems to be documented at all.

Should this be cleared up (maybe a nice first project for lurking new
contributors)?\

If we don't want long forms for some reason, then a comment in the code
saying why would make sense.

cheers

andrew

Re: pg_ctl options

От
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Дата:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Should this be cleared up (maybe a nice first project for lurking new
> contributors)?\

Maybe.

> If we don't want long forms for some reason, then a comment in the code
> saying why would make sense.

I don't see a strong reason for not to do it. But if you look closely at
the postgres binaries you'll notice some "inconsistencies" e.g.,
pg_ctl doesn't have long options, pg_config doesn't have short options,
postgres almost don't have long options. I agree that it deserves a
cleanup but I don't know if it's worth to do.

--  Euler Taveira de Oliveira http://www.timbira.com/

Re: pg_ctl options

Added to TODO:

* Make consistent use of long/short command options --- pg_ctl needs long ones, pg_config doesn't have short ones,
postgresdoesn't have enough long ones, etc.

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> I notice that quite a few pg_ctl options have no long form equivalents,
> namely these: NopPwW
>
> Also, none of the long forms seems to be documented at all.
>
> Should this be cleared up (maybe a nice first project for lurking new
> contributors)?\
>
> If we don't want long forms for some reason, then a comment in the code
> saying why would make sense.
>
> cheers
>
> andrew

Re: pg_ctl options

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Added to TODO:
>
> * Make consistent use of long/short command options --- pg_ctl needs
>   long ones, pg_config doesn't have short ones, postgres doesn't have
>   enough long ones, etc.

Certainly postgres has plenty of long ones.  And I don't know why
pg_config would need short ones.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: pg_ctl options

Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Added to TODO:
> >
> > * Make consistent use of long/short command options --- pg_ctl needs
> >   long ones, pg_config doesn't have short ones, postgres doesn't have
> >   enough long ones, etc.
>
> Certainly postgres has plenty of long ones.  And I don't know why

I don't see them.

> pg_config would need short ones.

Seems we should have some, though you could make the case it has too
many options to support single letters.

Re: pg_ctl options

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > pg_config would need short ones.
>
> Seems we should have some,

But why?  What is the use case?  It's not like pg_config is a frequently
typed command.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: pg_ctl options

Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > pg_config would need short ones.
> >
> > Seems we should have some,
>
> But why?  What is the use case?  It's not like pg_config is a frequently
> typed command.

I thought consistency.  Why do any of the commands have long and short
options?

Re: pg_ctl options

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 20:14 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > >
> > > Seems we should have some,
> >
> > But why?  What is the use case?  It's not like pg_config is a frequently
> > typed command.
>
> I thought consistency.  Why do any of the commands have long and short
> options?

That would be my argument. Consistency is good.

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: pg_ctl options

Дата:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Certainly postgres has plenty of long ones.  And I don't know why

> I don't see them.

postgres/postmaster accept --any-guc-variable=value.  AFAIR all the
single-letter options these days are equivalent to one of those.
There's not anything else to do there, except perhaps fix the
documentation (I'm not clear on why Table 17-1 is where it is and
not on the postgres command reference page).

I can't get excited about inventing short options for pg_config.
        regards, tom lane