Обсуждение: continuing daily testing of dbt2 against postgresql

continuing daily testing of dbt2 against postgresql

От
Mark Wong
Дата:
Hi everyone,

After over a year of problems (old site
http://developer.osdl.org/markw/postgrescvs/)  I have resumed producing
daily results of dbt-2 against PostgreSQL CVS code with results here:http://dbt.osdl.org/dbt2.html

The only really new thing is better described stats on the i/o activity
per tablespace.  I'm generating iostat plots for devices per tablespace.  I'm going to track results at two scale
factors,one where the system

is not quite overloaded and one where the system is overloaded.

I'll have dbt3 results shortly, I hope.  Let me know if there are any
questions.

Regards,
Mark

Re: continuing daily testing of dbt2 against postgresql

Дата:
Mark Wong <markw@osdl.org> writes:
> After over a year of problems (old site
> http://developer.osdl.org/markw/postgrescvs/)  I have resumed producing
> daily results of dbt-2 against PostgreSQL CVS code with results here:
>     http://dbt.osdl.org/dbt2.html

This is good to hear!  I am curious where we are now compared to where
we were a year ago ... do you still have the old data, and is the test
setup still comparable?
        regards, tom lane

Re: continuing daily testing of dbt2 against postgresql

От
markw@osdl.org
Дата:
> Mark Wong <markw@osdl.org> writes:
>> After over a year of problems (old site
>> http://developer.osdl.org/markw/postgrescvs/)  I have resumed producing
>> daily results of dbt-2 against PostgreSQL CVS code with results here:
>>     http://dbt.osdl.org/dbt2.html
>
> This is good to hear!  I am curious where we are now compared to where
> we were a year ago ... do you still have the old data, and is the test
> setup still comparable?

The test setup is on completely different hardware.  I still have the old
data and it's accessible, but it'll take a little bit of work to
regenerate the links.  I'll try to work on that.

Mark

Re: continuing daily testing of dbt2 against postgresql

От
Michael Paesold
Дата:
markw@osdl.org wrote:
>> Mark Wong <markw@osdl.org> writes:
>>> After over a year of problems (old site
>>> http://developer.osdl.org/markw/postgrescvs/)  I have resumed producing
>>> daily results of dbt-2 against PostgreSQL CVS code with results here:
>>>     http://dbt.osdl.org/dbt2.html
>> This is good to hear!  I am curious where we are now compared to where
>> we were a year ago ... do you still have the old data, and is the test
>> setup still comparable?
>
> The test setup is on completely different hardware.  I still have the old
> data and it's accessible, but it'll take a little bit of work to
> regenerate the links.  I'll try to work on that.

I think it would also help if you would create reference runs for the
latest 8.0 and 8.1 releases on the new hardware.

Best Regards
Michael Paesold

Tom Lane wrote:
> Mark Wong <markw@osdl.org> writes:
>> After over a year of problems (old site
>> http://developer.osdl.org/markw/postgrescvs/)  I have resumed producing
>> daily results of dbt-2 against PostgreSQL CVS code with results here:
>>     http://dbt.osdl.org/dbt2.html
>
> This is good to hear!  I am curious where we are now compared to where
> we were a year ago ... do you still have the old data, and is the test
> setup still comparable?

I made another couple of gross mistakes of forgetting to compile
PostgreSQL with --enable-thread-safe and enabling the user space irq
balancing program in Linux.  I've restarted the histories with 600 and
800 warehouse runs where 600 should be below peak system performance and
800 pushing the system beyond it's peak performance.

Still working on getting pointers to the old data...

Regards,
Mark

Re: continuing daily testing of dbt2 against postgresql

От
Mark Wong
Дата:
Michael Paesold wrote:
> markw@osdl.org wrote:
>>> This is good to hear!  I am curious where we are now compared to where
>>> we were a year ago ... do you still have the old data, and is the test
>>> setup still comparable?
>>
>> The test setup is on completely different hardware.  I still have the old
>> data and it's accessible, but it'll take a little bit of work to
>> regenerate the links.  I'll try to work on that.
>
> I think it would also help if you would create reference runs for the
> latest 8.0 and 8.1 releases on the new hardware.

Ok, I'll try to work those in within the next couple days.

Regards,
Mark

Re: continuing daily testing of dbt2 against postgresql

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 05:26:11PM -0700, Mark Wong wrote:
> I made another couple of gross mistakes of forgetting to compile
> PostgreSQL with --enable-thread-safe and enabling the user space irq
> balancing program in Linux.  I've restarted the histories with 600 and

What's the advantage of irq balancing in user space as opposed to the
kernel (which is the default, right?)

Re: continuing daily testing of dbt2 against postgresql

От
Mark Wong
Дата:
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 05:26:11PM -0700, Mark Wong wrote:
>> I made another couple of gross mistakes of forgetting to compile
>> PostgreSQL with --enable-thread-safe and enabling the user space irq
>> balancing program in Linux.  I've restarted the histories with 600 and
>
> What's the advantage of irq balancing in user space as opposed to the
> kernel (which is the default, right?)

Linux doesn't have irq balancing in the kernel.  They've made the
decision to leave that to a user space process.  The irq balancing flag
in the kernel is just to enable the hooks for a user space program.

Mark

Re: continuing daily testing of dbt2 against postgresql

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 10:37:32AM -0700, Mark Wong wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> >On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 05:26:11PM -0700, Mark Wong wrote:
> >>I made another couple of gross mistakes of forgetting to compile
> >>PostgreSQL with --enable-thread-safe and enabling the user space irq
> >>balancing program in Linux.  I've restarted the histories with 600 and
> >
> >What's the advantage of irq balancing in user space as opposed to the
> >kernel (which is the default, right?)
>
> Linux doesn't have irq balancing in the kernel.  They've made the
> decision to leave that to a user space process.  The irq balancing flag
> in the kernel is just to enable the hooks for a user space program.

Oooh, interesting... I wonder how many installs out there are running
without IRQ balancing enabled.

Re: continuing daily testing of dbt2 against postgresql

От
Mark Wong
Дата:
Luke Lonergan wrote:
> +1
>
> Mark, can you quantify the impact of not running with IRQ balancing enabled?

Yeah, I'll try to have that done within a couple of days.

Mark