Обсуждение: Nightly builds (was: [SQL] Function Parameters in GROUP BY clause cause errors)

Nightly builds (was: [SQL] Function Parameters in GROUP BY clause cause errors)

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 05:30:28AM -0800, Davidson, Robert wrote:
> How amazing is that? I call it a night and come back to find that a bug has been identified and patched while I
sleep.

> When will it appear in the binaries (I see that the release version is still 8.1.3)? I thought about trying to
compilefrom source, but after looking at the mingw page was too intimidated by figuring out what to download to try
compilingsource.

We generally don't worry about point releases too much unless there's a
pretty serious bug, so it'll probably take a while.

Unfortunately I don't know of anyone building nightly binaries. This is
something we should think about doing, especially for windows...

Re: Nightly builds

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
Jim C. Nasby wrote:

>On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 05:30:28AM -0800, Davidson, Robert wrote:
>

>>How amazing is that? I call it a night and come back to find that a bug has been identified and patched while I
sleep.

>>When will it appear in the binaries (I see that the release version is still 8.1.3)? I thought about trying to
compilefrom source, but after looking at the mingw page was too intimidated by figuring out what to download to try
compilingsource.

>We generally don't worry about point releases too much unless there's a
>pretty serious bug, so it'll probably take a while.
>
>Unfortunately I don't know of anyone building nightly binaries. This is
>something we should think about doing, especially for windows...

What for? The only binaries we should be letting out are for declared
releases. If the bug is serious enough to warrant cutting a generally
distributed binary for, it's worth making a release for, IMNSHO. The
Windows packaging team usually follow up a release with a package very
quickly indeed.

cheers

andrew

Re: Nightly builds

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 09:32:27AM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 05:30:28AM -0800, Davidson, Robert wrote:
> >

> >>How amazing is that? I call it a night and come back to find that a bug
> >>has been identified and patched while I sleep.
> >>
> >>When will it appear in the binaries (I see that the release version is
> >>still 8.1.3)? I thought about trying to compile from source, but after
> >>looking at the mingw page was too intimidated by figuring out what to
> >>download to try compiling source.
> >>

> >We generally don't worry about point releases too much unless there's a
> >pretty serious bug, so it'll probably take a while.
> >
> >Unfortunately I don't know of anyone building nightly binaries. This is
> >something we should think about doing, especially for windows...
> >

> What for? The only binaries we should be letting out are for declared
> releases. If the bug is serious enough to warrant cutting a generally
> distributed binary for, it's worth making a release for, IMNSHO. The
> Windows packaging team usually follow up a release with a package very
> quickly indeed.

In this case, my guess is that this bugfix isn't important enough to
push a release. If there was a nightly build, the bug reporter could use
that for development until an official release came out.

The only reason I even suggested this is because setting up a windows
build environment is substantially more complicated than building on
unix. If he was on unix, he could easily just cvs up on the appropriate
branch and build it himself.