Обсуждение: Chapter on PostreSQL in a book

Chapter on PostreSQL in a book

От
Sailesh Krishnamurthy
Дата:
Hackers

Along with some other folks I am co-authoring a chapter on PostgreSQL
in the next edition of "Database System Concepts" by Silberschatz,
Korth and Sudarshan (http://db-book.com)

This is in the form of a "case study" and will follow the pattern in
Chapters 25,26 and 27 (Part 8 in the Table of Contents available at
the above URL) that deal with Oracle, DB2 and MS SQL Server
respectively.

There are three sections, though, that are non-engine specific:
- Database Design and Querying Tools- Replication, Distribution and External Data- Database Administration Tools

I'm at a loss as to how much we should focus on these sections. Do we
use what's in GBorg ? Do the hackers have any suggestions ?

There are 33 DBA tools and 19 Design tools in GBorg .. are there any
specific tools that are "recommended" ?

Suggestions appreciated ..

--
Pip-pip
Sailesh

Re: Chapter on PostreSQL in a book

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
> I'm at a loss as to how much we should focus on these sections. Do we
> use what's in GBorg ? Do the hackers have any suggestions ?
>
> There are 33 DBA tools and 19 Design tools in GBorg .. are there any
> specific tools that are "recommended" ?

Well, I think there are really just two major active free database
administration tools: pgAdmin3 and phpPgAdmin

Chris

Re: Chapter on PostreSQL in a book

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
On Wednesday 24 March 2004 01:38, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > I'm at a loss as to how much we should focus on these sections. Do we
> > use what's in GBorg ? Do the hackers have any suggestions ?
> >
> > There are 33 DBA tools and 19 Design tools in GBorg .. are there any
> > specific tools that are "recommended" ?
>
> Well, I think there are really just two major active free database
> administration tools: pgAdmin3 and phpPgAdmin

There's RedHat's java-based stuff too. That's freely downloadable and GPLed
too IIRC.

--  Richard Huxton Archonet Ltd

Re: Chapter on PostreSQL in a book

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Richard Huxton wrote:

> On Wednesday 24 March 2004 01:38, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > > I'm at a loss as to how much we should focus on these sections. Do we
> > > use what's in GBorg ? Do the hackers have any suggestions ?
> > >
> > > There are 33 DBA tools and 19 Design tools in GBorg .. are there any
> > > specific tools that are "recommended" ?
> >
> > Well, I think there are really just two major active free database
> > administration tools: pgAdmin3 and phpPgAdmin
>
> There's RedHat's java-based stuff too. That's freely downloadable and GPLed
> too IIRC.

I *believe* that CommandPrompt PgManage interface was also released OSS
... ?   That one too was Java based, if I recall correctly ...

----

Re: Chapter on PostreSQL in a book

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Sailesh,

First off, I'd suggest reopening this topic on Advocacy or Docs.   Hackers is
really not the list for this, and I think you'd get more feedback on those
other lists.

>  - Database Design and Querying Tools

Well, I think there is no question that phpPgAdmin and pgAdminIII are our two
leading Admin/Database Browsing tools.   If you drop to the runners-up,
though, you have a choice of 8 or 9 different tools which are still current.
Perhaps this page will give some perspective?
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/GUITools

I might suggest, for a single chapter, going over the top two but mentioning
that there are many others.

>  - Replication, Distribution and External Data

For replication we have and will continute to have several solutions, both OSS
and commercial.   Replication is not a problem that suits itself to a single,
monolithic solution, and our diversity is superiority.   You should mention
eRServer, SlonyI, DBmirror, and Mammoth Replication.

What are distribution & external data?

>  - Database Administration Tools

How is this different from the first item?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions