Обсуждение: XML Docbook

XML Docbook

От
Karel Zak
Дата:
Hi,
what use pure XML Docbook (non-SGML) for 7.5 PostgreSQL docs?
XML advantage:
- more clean and simple conversion into printable  formats by FO (Formatting Objects),- needn't huge TeX stuff (!),-
Javabased XSLT/FO processors like FOP (support PDF, PCL, PS, SVG, Print,  AWT, MIF and TXT),- conversion to
HTML/MAN/etcby xsltproc,- XML based reference docs is usable for example in clients programs as  standard help, because
integrateXML parser into program is more simple and  usual than SGML parser.

I think the current docs build system is usable for normal user only if he wantsto generate HTML docs, but for example
it'suseless if he wants PDF output...For example you can compare our current doc/src/sgml/Makefile with following code
forXML conversion:pdf:   fop -xsl /path/to/stylesheet/xsl/fo/docbook.xsl -xml book.xml -pdf book.pdfps:   fop -xsl
/path/to/stylesheet/xsl/fo/docbook.xsl-xml book.xml -ps book.ps

html:   xsltproc -o htmldir/ /path/to/stylesheet/html/chunk.xsl book.xml
man:   xsltproc /path/to/stylesheet/manpages/docbook.xsl ref.xml

 Comments?
     Karel
-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/

Re: XML Docbook

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Vendredi 14 Novembre 2003 09:26, Karel Zak a écrit :
> What use pure XML Docbook (non-SGML) for 7.5 PostgreSQL docs?

Dear Karel,

For information, how do you  plan to translate XML Docbook format?

Is there an easy way to parse XML Docbook and import/export the text into
Gettext format? I was thinking using PHP, but I would prefer using a legacy
script. Do you know any?

Best regards,
Jean-Michel Pouré

Re: XML Docbook

От
Karel Zak
Дата:
On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 09:57:16AM +0100, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Le Vendredi 14 Novembre 2003 09:26, Karel Zak a écrit :
> > What use pure XML Docbook (non-SGML) for 7.5 PostgreSQL docs?
>
> Dear Karel,
>
> For information, how do you  plan to translate XML Docbook format?
KDE project use XML docbook and I think they have same problems andmaybe already solutions too :-)
http://i18n.kde.org/translation-howto/doc-translation.html
   Karel

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/

Re: XML Docbook

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Vendredi 14 Novembre 2003 10:19, Karel Zak a écrit :
> KDE project use XML docbook and I think they have same problems and
> maybe already solutions too :-)
> http://i18n.kde.org/translation-howto/doc-translation.html
> Karel

Dear Karel,

Nice link with detailed information.
This is a valid reason for moving to XML docbook.

Cheers, Jean-Michel

Re: XML Docbook

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Karel Zak writes:

>  XML advantage:

All very true.

XML disadvantage:

- no arbitrary parameter entities

If someone can solve this for me, I'm ready to switch.

Follow-up to pgsql-docs@postgresql.org please.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: XML Docbook

От
Karel Zak
Дата:
On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 10:32:10AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> XML disadvantage:
>
> - no arbitrary parameter entities
I unsure if I understand, can you show some example of this problem?
I think there is  a lot of XML Docbook docs in a  lot of projects and Iwill wonder if in the PostgreSQL docs is
somethingspecial what disableuse XML instead SGML.

> Follow-up to pgsql-docs@postgresql.org please.
Hmm.. I must subscribe first :-)