Обсуждение: Re: [GENERAL] capturing and storing query statement with rules

Re: [GENERAL] capturing and storing query statement with rules

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
(moving to HACKERS)

Mike Mascari wrote:
> Joe Conway wrote:
>>I think this shows how to do what you want:
>>http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-sql/2003-05/msg00301.php
>
> Maybe debug_query_string should be mapped into a variable like
> CURRENT_USER? Perhaps something like CURRENT_QUERY?

I was thinking something similar. This exact question has come up at
least three times in the last three months. I doubt we'd want a special
keyword like CURRENT_QUERY, but maybe current_query()?

Comments?

Joe

Re: [GENERAL] capturing and storing query statement with

От
Larry Rosenman

--On Tuesday, June 24, 2003 14:07:23 -0700 Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com>
wrote:

> (moving to HACKERS)
>
> Mike Mascari wrote:
>> Joe Conway wrote:
>>> I think this shows how to do what you want:
>>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-sql/2003-05/msg00301.php
>>
>> Maybe debug_query_string should be mapped into a variable like
>> CURRENT_USER? Perhaps something like CURRENT_QUERY?
>>

> I was thinking something similar. This exact question has come up at
> least three times in the last three months. I doubt we'd want a special
> keyword like CURRENT_QUERY, but maybe current_query()?
>
> Comments?
I was thinking the same thing.  Currently I use the contrib/dblink supplied
function, but a firstclass, in the default install, version would be nice.

Re: [GENERAL] capturing and storing query statement with rules

Дата:
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> I was thinking something similar. This exact question has come up at
> least three times in the last three months. I doubt we'd want a special
> keyword like CURRENT_QUERY, but maybe current_query()?

Not unless you want to promote a quick debugging hack, not expected or
required to work 100%, into a supported feature.  I don't think
debug_query_string can be relied on to always reflect what the system
is doing, particularly not in the 3.0 protocol extended-query case.
And how about when you're executing queries inside a function --- is it
supposed to tell you about the most closely nested SQL query?

I don't say this is not worth doing --- but I do say you are opening a
larger can of worms than you probably think.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
>
>>I was thinking something similar. This exact question has come up at
>>least three times in the last three months. I doubt we'd want a special
>>keyword like CURRENT_QUERY, but maybe current_query()?
>
> Not unless you want to promote a quick debugging hack, not expected or
> required to work 100%, into a supported feature.  I don't think
> debug_query_string can be relied on to always reflect what the system
> is doing, particularly not in the 3.0 protocol extended-query case.
> And how about when you're executing queries inside a function --- is it
> supposed to tell you about the most closely nested SQL query?
>
> I don't say this is not worth doing --- but I do say you are opening a
> larger can of worms than you probably think.

Hmmm. Good points. This one may best wait for 7.5 at least. Does it make
sense to turn it into a TODO?
 * promote debug_query_string into a documented, supported feature

Anyone who *does* use the function from dblink, please be sure to report
circumstances where dblink_current_query() returns something other than
what you would expect.

Thanks,

Joe

Re: [GENERAL] capturing and storing query statement with

Added to TODO:
* Promote debug_query_string into a server-side function  current_query()

Joe Conway wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> >
> >>I was thinking something similar. This exact question has come up at
> >>least three times in the last three months. I doubt we'd want a special
> >>keyword like CURRENT_QUERY, but maybe current_query()?
> >
> > Not unless you want to promote a quick debugging hack, not expected or
> > required to work 100%, into a supported feature.  I don't think
> > debug_query_string can be relied on to always reflect what the system
> > is doing, particularly not in the 3.0 protocol extended-query case.
> > And how about when you're executing queries inside a function --- is it
> > supposed to tell you about the most closely nested SQL query?
> >
> > I don't say this is not worth doing --- but I do say you are opening a
> > larger can of worms than you probably think.
> >

> Hmmm. Good points. This one may best wait for 7.5 at least. Does it make
> sense to turn it into a TODO?
>
>   * promote debug_query_string into a documented, supported feature
>
> Anyone who *does* use the function from dblink, please be sure to report
> circumstances where dblink_current_query() returns something other than
> what you would expect.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Pennsylvania19073

Re: [GENERAL] capturing and storing query statement with

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Joe Conway writes:

> I was thinking something similar. This exact question has come up at
> least three times in the last three months. I doubt we'd want a special
> keyword like CURRENT_QUERY, but maybe current_query()?

The current statement can be examined using the statistics views and
functions.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: [GENERAL] capturing and storing query statement with

Дата:
> Joe Conway writes:
>> I was thinking something similar. This exact question has come up at
>> least three times in the last three months. I doubt we'd want a special
>> keyword like CURRENT_QUERY, but maybe current_query()?

> The current statement can be examined using the statistics views and
> functions.

That's not very reliable though --- unless the current query has been
running for quite a few milliseconds, there's no guarantee it will be
reflected in the statistics collector's output.
        regards, tom lane