Обсуждение: src/bin/scripts seems a bit of a misnomer now

src/bin/scripts seems a bit of a misnomer now

Дата:
With Peter's latest commit, there aren't any actual scripts left in
src/bin/scripts; only C programs.  Does that bother anyone?  I was
wondering about renaming to something like src/bin/misc.  (Not that
that name seems very compelling either...)
        regards, tom lane

Re: src/bin/scripts seems a bit of a misnomer now

Tom Lane wrote:
> With Peter's latest commit, there aren't any actual scripts left in
> src/bin/scripts; only C programs.  Does that bother anyone?  I was
> wondering about renaming to something like src/bin/misc.  (Not that
> that name seems very compelling either...)

We could call it tools or admintools.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: src/bin/scripts seems a bit of a misnomer now

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:
On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 17:07, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > With Peter's latest commit, there aren't any actual scripts left in
> > src/bin/scripts; only C programs.  Does that bother anyone?  I was
> > wondering about renaming to something like src/bin/misc.  (Not that
> > that name seems very compelling either...)
>
> We could call it tools or admintools.

How about just pulling them up a directory into src/bin?

If they were complex, each would have a subdirectory in src/bin, so it
seems reasonable to have individual files there.
--
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc

Re: src/bin/scripts seems a bit of a misnomer now

Дата:
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca> writes:
> How about just pulling them up a directory into src/bin?

Nah, I don't like that.  All the programs are at the same level in the
src/bin tree, and I think it should stay that way.

Bruce's idea of calling it "tools" seems reasonable ... although there
might be some confusion because we also have a src/tools directory.
"admintools" seems a bit long to me, although I'd go along if other
people like it.  Maybe just "admin"?
        regards, tom lane

Re: src/bin/scripts seems a bit of a misnomer now

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
> With Peter's latest commit, there aren't any actual scripts left in
> src/bin/scripts; only C programs.  Does that bother anyone?  I was
> wondering about renaming to something like src/bin/misc.  (Not that
> that name seems very compelling either...)

Does anyone care about contrib/reindexdb anymore?

Chris

Re: src/bin/scripts seems a bit of a misnomer now

Дата:
> Does anyone care about contrib/reindexdb anymore?

I'd think it's still at least as useful as clusterdb.  Why, are you
thinking of doing some work on it?
        regards, tom lane

Re: src/bin/scripts seems a bit of a misnomer now

От
Jon Jensen
Дата:
On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> Does anyone care about contrib/reindexdb anymore?

I would've found it handy, but didn't know about it and wrote my own in
Perl. Inside a transaction it drops the index then rebuilds it using what
it gets from pg_get_indexdef(), and it looks at the index files on disk
before and after to show disk space saved (or grown) per index and total.
I run it weekly in cron.

Is something like that of use to anyone else?

Jon

Re: src/bin/scripts seems a bit of a misnomer now

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
> "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> writes:
> > Does anyone care about contrib/reindexdb anymore?
>
> I'd think it's still at least as useful as clusterdb.  Why, are you
> thinking of doing some work on it?

No, I just noticed that it escaped the C conversion...

Chris

Re: src/bin/scripts seems a bit of a misnomer now

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 12:09, Jon Jensen wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>
> > Does anyone care about contrib/reindexdb anymore?
>
> I would've found it handy, but didn't know about it and wrote my own in
> Perl. Inside a transaction it drops the index then rebuilds it using what
> it gets from pg_get_indexdef(), and it looks at the index files on disk
> before and after to show disk space saved (or grown) per index and total.
> I run it weekly in cron.
>
> Is something like that of use to anyone else?

I think something like this was either posted to the list, put on gborg,
or maybe hidden in contrib somewhere. I'd like a copy if you don't mind,
I currently use reindex regularly on my database but your script sounds
a little more informational.

Robert Treat

Re: src/bin/scripts seems a bit of a misnomer now

Added to TODO:

* Rename /scripts directory because they are all C programs now

Tom Lane wrote:
> Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca> writes:
> > How about just pulling them up a directory into src/bin?
>
> Nah, I don't like that.  All the programs are at the same level in the
> src/bin tree, and I think it should stay that way.
>
> Bruce's idea of calling it "tools" seems reasonable ... although there
> might be some confusion because we also have a src/tools directory.
> "admintools" seems a bit long to me, although I'd go along if other
> people like it.  Maybe just "admin"?
>
>             regards, tom lane

Pennsylvania19073