Обсуждение: Help needed in testing my code.

Help needed in testing my code.

От
Srikanth M
Дата:
Dear Sir,

I want to know the compilaiton and execution of my
code. Suppose if i add a test printf statement in the
src/backend/tcop/postgres.c and after compilation and
execution i should get that statement every time i give
a query to psql.
After running make I even added the executables
in the /usr/bin/ directory but i couldn't see the test
statement after giving a query to psql.
please tell me the procedure of adding a test
printf statement in postgres.c(or in any file), and
compiling and running it so that i get the test statement
as an output when i give the query.

Sincerely
Srikanth M

Re: Help needed in testing my code.

От
Sailesh Krishnamurthy
Дата:
Why don't you use elog(LOG, instead of printf ?

--
Pip-pip
Sailesh

Re: Help needed in testing my code.

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
Hi,

This is a much better way than printf:

elog(NOTICE, "this is my test: %s", string);

Chris

> I want to know the compilaiton and execution of my
> code. Suppose if i add a test printf statement in the
> src/backend/tcop/postgres.c and after compilation and
> execution i should get that statement every time i give
> a query to psql.
>
> After running make I even added the executables
> in the /usr/bin/ directory but i couldn't see the test
> statement after giving a query to psql.
>
> please tell me the procedure of adding a test
> printf statement in postgres.c(or in any file), and
> compiling and running it so that i get the test statement
> as an output when i give the query.
>
> Sincerely
> Srikanth M

Re: Help needed in testing my code.

От
Kris Jurka
Дата:
I'm guessing his problem is that he's expecting this to come out of psql
and not go to the backend's stdout.

Kris Jurka

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is a much better way than printf:
>
> elog(NOTICE, "this is my test: %s", string);
>
> Chris

Дата:
Dear SirI am new to postgres and dont know the excat procedure of
testing my code, okay i will use elog, but please tell me the procedure
of testing that.

for example,pls tell what should i do after i add code, what make files
should i run and where should i place the new executables.

Thanks for ur reply.

Srikanth.

runOn 28 May 2003,
Sailesh Krishnamurthy wrote:

> Why don't you use elog(LOG, instead of printf ?

--
big fan of not reinventing the wheel - good programmers write code,
great programmers steal code ;-)

Re: Help needed in testing my code.

От
Sailesh Krishnamurthy
Дата:
   Srikanth> Dear Sir I am new to postgres and dont know the excat   Srikanth> procedure of testing my code, okay i
willuse elog, but   Srikanth> please tell me the procedure of testing that.

Srikanth

As you're a big fan of stealing code, why don't you grep the source
for occurences of "elog(LOG" or "elog(NOTICE".

elog(NOTICE should send NOTICE messages to the psql client (I think !)
while elog(LOG while only send it to the logfile you might have
specified while starting the postmaster
   Srikanth> for example,pls tell what should i do after i add code,   Srikanth> what make files should i run and where
shouldi place   Srikanth> the new executables.

Well you sould start out by RTFM .. read how to build postgres. I run
"make install" in my postgres directory (right above src/).

--
Pip-pip
Sailesh
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~sailesh

describe statement

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Is anyone working on, or planning on working on the describe statement?

It is very useful for ecpg, and a project I am working on.

Depending on the amount, I may be able to get compensation for this, if
this helps motivate anyone?

--
Dave Cramer <dave@fastcrypt.com>
fastcrypt

Re: Help needed in testing my code.

От
Alvaro Herrera Munoz
Дата:
On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 12:59:56PM +0200, Sailesh Krishnamurthy wrote:

> elog(NOTICE should send NOTICE messages to the psql client (I think !)
> while elog(LOG while only send it to the logfile you might have
> specified while starting the postmaster

Whether a given elog level is sent to the postmaster log and to the
client, is controlled by client_min_messages and server_min_messages.
At least in recent sources, that is.

We take risks not to escape from life, but to prevent life escaping from us.