Обсуждение: Someone's broken psql's connection-failure error reporting

Someone's broken psql's connection-failure error reporting

Дата:
In CVS tip, I'm getting only an empty string from psql where it should
print connection-failure messages.

psql 7.3 does this:

$ psql -p 5555
psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory       Is the server running locally and accepting
connectionson Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5555"?

$

CVS tip does this:

$ psql -p 5555
psql: $

Have not dug to see if this is the fault of libpq or psql; but there's
been a fair amount of hacking lately in libpq's connection handling ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Someone's broken psql's connection-failure error reporting

Tom Lane wrote:
> In CVS tip, I'm getting only an empty string from psql where it should
> print connection-failure messages.
>
> psql 7.3 does this:
>
> $ psql -p 5555
> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>         Is the server running locally and accepting
>         connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5555"?
> $
>
> CVS tip does this:
>
> $ psql -p 5555
> psql: $
>
> Have not dug to see if this is the fault of libpq or psql; but there's
> been a fair amount of hacking lately in libpq's connection handling ...

I just tried and got an error:
$ psql -p 5555psql: could not create socket: No such file or directory

This is as of last night's CVS.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Someone's broken psql's connection-failure error reporting

Дата:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> In CVS tip, I'm getting only an empty string from psql where it should
>> print connection-failure messages.

> [ it works here ]

Speculation time: do you have the IPv6 code compiled in?  I don't.

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> In CVS tip, I'm getting only an empty string from psql where it should
> >> print connection-failure messages.
>
> > [ it works here ]
>
> Speculation time: do you have the IPv6 code compiled in?  I don't.

I have IPv6 enabled in the binary, but not the kernel.

Pennsylvania19073

java access to the backend (non jdbc)?

От
"Shahbaz Chaudhary"
Дата:
Hi All,
I was wondering if there is a libq or libqxx type library written in
java.  Even if it is done through jni.  I would like to do some
experiments, perhaps make a utility that reads server information such
as currently executing query, current locks, amount of disk/ram taken up
by pgsql.  Basically some very useful information for admins.  I've
forgotten most of C, C++ (from college days), but would love to try my
hand at such a utility...I'm sure there are others who would like to use
java to access such a backend.  Any pointers?

Shahbaz C.

Re: java access to the backend (non jdbc)?

Дата:
Well, we have jdbc at jdbc.postgresql.org.

Shahbaz Chaudhary wrote:
> Hi All,
> I was wondering if there is a libq or libqxx type library written in
> java.  Even if it is done through jni.  I would like to do some
> experiments, perhaps make a utility that reads server information such
> as currently executing query, current locks, amount of disk/ram taken up
> by pgsql.  Basically some very useful information for admins.  I've
> forgotten most of C, C++ (from college days), but would love to try my
> hand at such a utility...I'm sure there are others who would like to use
> java to access such a backend.  Any pointers?
>
> Shahbaz C.

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Pennsylvania19073

Re: java access to the backend (non jdbc)?

От
"Shahbaz Chaudhary"
Дата:
Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear.  I don't want to query the DB
every few seconds to get its current status.  I want to keep an open an
open connection and have immediate access to all information like I have
when I set the debug level high and see everything going on inside the
DB right on my machine.

I guess think of it as a dashboard that constantly displays the db
status.  Something like 'top' rather than 'ps -ef|grep .....'.

As far as I understand, JDBC is just a mechanism to connect to a db,
execute queries, etc., not get this kind of info.

Shahbaz C.

> I was wondering if there is a libq or libqxx type library written in
> java.  Even if it is done through jni.  I would like to do some
> experiments, perhaps make a utility that reads server information such
> as currently executing query, current locks, amount of disk/ram taken
up
> by pgsql.  Basically some very useful information for admins.  I've
> forgotten most of C, C++ (from college days), but would love to try my
> hand at such a utility...I'm sure there are others who would like to
use
> java to access such a backend.  Any pointers?
>
> Shahbaz C.

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Pennsylvania
19073

http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: java access to the backend (non jdbc)?

Дата:
Well, I wrote pgmonitor on gborg.postgresql.org, which is like top for
PostgreSQL, but is in TCL.  It uses ps internally.

Shahbaz Chaudhary wrote:
> Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear.  I don't want to query the DB
> every few seconds to get its current status.  I want to keep an open an
> open connection and have immediate access to all information like I have
> when I set the debug level high and see everything going on inside the
> DB right on my machine.
>
> I guess think of it as a dashboard that constantly displays the db
> status.  Something like 'top' rather than 'ps -ef|grep .....'.
>
> As far as I understand, JDBC is just a mechanism to connect to a db,
> execute queries, etc., not get this kind of info.
>
> Shahbaz C.

Дата:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Speculation time: do you have the IPv6 code compiled in?  I don't.

> I have IPv6 enabled in the binary, but not the kernel.

Sure enough, the IPV6 patch had broken error handling in the non-IPV6
path.

I've done a little bit of cleanup, but that code is still a mess...
someone should rewrite these routines.

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Speculation time: do you have the IPv6 code compiled in?  I don't.
>
> > I have IPv6 enabled in the binary, but not the kernel.
>
> Sure enough, the IPV6 patch had broken error handling in the non-IPV6
> path.
>
> I've done a little bit of cleanup, but that code is still a mess...
> someone should rewrite these routines.

Yes, I looked at it and struggled to get both IPv4 and IPv6 cleanly
working.  Any ideas on how to improve it?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Someone's broken psql's connection-failure error reporting

Дата:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I've done a little bit of cleanup, but that code is still a mess...
>> someone should rewrite these routines.

> Yes, I looked at it and struggled to get both IPv4 and IPv6 cleanly
> working.  Any ideas on how to improve it?

The major problem is the huge amount of #ifdefs, most of which seem to
come from the fact that we deal with a list of possible addresses in
one case and not the other.  It would help a lot if we fixed things so
that we dealt with a list in either case --- only a one-element list,
if we don't have getaddrinfo, but getaddrinfo2 could hide that and
provide a uniform API regardless.

The SSL patch is contributing a lot of ugliness too.  It would be more
functional as well as cleaner if someone rewrote that code to work in
non-blocking style (which AFAICT should be feasible with the openssl
API, it just wasn't done).
        regards, tom lane

Re: Someone's broken psql's connection-failure error reporting

От
Kurt Roeckx
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 08:55:23PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> I've done a little bit of cleanup, but that code is still a mess...
> >> someone should rewrite these routines.
>
> > Yes, I looked at it and struggled to get both IPv4 and IPv6 cleanly
> > working.  Any ideas on how to improve it?
>
> The major problem is the huge amount of #ifdefs, most of which seem to
> come from the fact that we deal with a list of possible addresses in
> one case and not the other.  It would help a lot if we fixed things so
> that we dealt with a list in either case --- only a one-element list,
> if we don't have getaddrinfo, but getaddrinfo2 could hide that and
> provide a uniform API regardless.

I'm actually working on getting rid of all those #ifdef's, but
it's going slowly.  (I have very little free time.)

Kurt