Обсуждение: 7.3B3 psql talking to a 7.2.3 server?

7.3B3 psql talking to a 7.2.3 server?

От
Larry Rosenman
Дата:
Is the following supposed to work?

$ psql -U neteng -h tide netmaster
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "."
Welcome to psql 7.3b3, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Type:  \copyright for distribution terms      \h for help with SQL commands      \? for help on internal slash commands
    \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query      \q to quit

netmaster=> select version();                              version
---------------------------------------------------------------------PostgreSQL 7.2.1 on i386-portbld-freebsd4.5,
compiledby GCC 2.95.3

(1 row)

netmaster=>

neteng **IS** a superuser on tide.

Re: 7.3B3 psql talking to a 7.2.3 server?

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:
On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 11:30, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> Is the following supposed to work?
>
> $ psql -U neteng -h tide netmaster
> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "."

7.3 psql is schema safe.

So... it's trying to do silly things like:
SELECT * FROM pg_catalog.pg_class;

Of course, 7.2 and earlier did not support such syntax.

--  Rod Taylor

Re: 7.3B3 psql talking to a 7.2.3 server?

От
Larry Rosenman
Дата:
On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 10:38, Rod Taylor wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 11:30, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> > Is the following supposed to work?
> >
> > $ psql -U neteng -h tide netmaster
> > ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "."
>
> 7.3 psql is schema safe.
>
> So... it's trying to do silly things like:
> SELECT * FROM pg_catalog.pg_class;
>
> Of course, 7.2 and earlier did not support such syntax.
I know this, the question is, Should this happen?  If not, can we fix it
somehow?

Or do we need to put a note somewhere?

LER

Re: 7.3B3 psql talking to a 7.2.3 server?

Дата:
Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
> Is the following supposed to work?

No.  7.3 psql uses schema syntax in its internal queries, so it will
fail to detect superuser status on pre-7.3 backends.  Most backslash
commands won't work very well either :-(.  However, manually issued
SQL should work as expected.
        regards, tom lane

Re: 7.3B3 psql talking to a 7.2.3 server?

От
Larry Rosenman
Дата:
On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 10:43, Tom Lane wrote:
> Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
> > Is the following supposed to work?
>
> No.  7.3 psql uses schema syntax in its internal queries, so it will
> fail to detect superuser status on pre-7.3 backends.  Most backslash
> commands won't work very well either :-(.  However, manually issued
> SQL should work as expected.
Should this be prominent in some doc somewhere?

Re: 7.3B3 psql talking to a 7.2.3 server?

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:
> I know this, the question is, Should this happen?  If not, can we fix it
> somehow?
>
> Or do we need to put a note somewhere?

I think it's a little late to fix now.

Making psql support multiple versions was a suggestion Tom made a while
back, but nobody took up the challenge.

--  Rod Taylor

Re: 7.3B3 psql talking to a 7.2.3 server?

От
Larry Rosenman
Дата:
On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 12:25, Rod Taylor wrote:
> > I know this, the question is, Should this happen?  If not, can we fix it
> > somehow?
> >
> > Or do we need to put a note somewhere?
>
> I think it's a little late to fix now.
>
> Making psql support multiple versions was a suggestion Tom made a while
> back, but nobody took up the challenge.
Hmm.  Ok.  How about a cross-version/upgrade note somewhere?

Re: 7.3B3 psql talking to a 7.2.3 server?

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:
On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 14:18, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 12:25, Rod Taylor wrote:
> > > I know this, the question is, Should this happen?  If not, can we fix it
> > > somehow?
> > >
> > > Or do we need to put a note somewhere?
> >
> > I think it's a little late to fix now.
> >
> > Making psql support multiple versions was a suggestion Tom made a while
> > back, but nobody took up the challenge.
> Hmm.  Ok.  How about a cross-version/upgrade note somewhere?

Probably worth while mentioning on the psql client page that clients are
only expected to work with the version they're released with.  Some
functionality may be missing otherwise.

--  Rod Taylor

Re: 7.3B3 psql talking to a 7.2.3 server?

Дата:
Rod Taylor wrote:

> > > I think it's a little late to fix now.
> > >
> > > Making psql support multiple versions was a suggestion Tom made a while
> > > back, but nobody took up the challenge.
> > Hmm.  Ok.  How about a cross-version/upgrade note somewhere?
>
> Probably worth while mentioning on the psql client page that clients are
> only expected to work with the version they're released with.  Some
> functionality may be missing otherwise.

We have always allowed old clients to connect to new servers, but often
break new servers connecting to old clients.  I think this is documented
somewhere, but it rarely comes up as an issue.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: 7.3B3 psql talking to a 7.2.3 server?

От
Larry Rosenman
Дата:
On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 21:54, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Rod Taylor wrote:

> > > Hmm.  Ok.  How about a cross-version/upgrade note somewhere?
> >
> > Probably worth while mentioning on the psql client page that clients are
> > only expected to work with the version they're released with.  Some
> > functionality may be missing otherwise.
>
> We have always allowed old clients to connect to new servers, but often
> break new servers connecting to old clients.  I think this is documented
> somewhere, but it rarely comes up as an issue.
So, what do we do in this case, where an OLDER client (<=7.2.3) connects
to a new (>=7.3) server, and BASIC stuff like backslash commands BREAK
because of the schema stuff?

IT NEEDS TO BE AT LEAST DOCUMENTED PROMINENTLY.

(IMHO).

LER

Re: 7.3B3 psql talking to a 7.2.3 server?

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:
> > We have always allowed old clients to connect to new servers, but often
> > break new servers connecting to old clients.  I think this is documented
> > somewhere, but it rarely comes up as an issue.

> So, what do we do in this case, where an OLDER client (<=7.2.3) connects
> to a new (>=7.3) server, and BASIC stuff like backslash commands BREAK
> because of the schema stuff?

All version mismatches are expected to cause some psql features to
fail.  But the basics still work fine.  7.3 happens to be a little more
severe than previous releases -- though 7.0 <-> 7.1 wasn't overly happy
either.

See the third point in the 'NOTES' section on:
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/app-psql.html

"psql only works smoothly with servers of the same version. That does
not mean other combinations will fail outright, but subtle and
not-so-subtle problems might come up. Backslash commands are
particularly likely to fail if the server is of a different version."

However, perhaps this version is worthy of a remark in the release notes
with the schema description:

Non-schema aware versions of the utilities distributed with PostgreSQL
to be 100% functional with PostgreSQL >= 7.3.

--  Rod Taylor

Re: 7.3B3 psql talking to a 7.2.3 server?

Дата:
Larry Rosenman wrote:
> > We have always allowed old clients to connect to new servers, but often
> > break new servers connecting to old clients.  I think this is documented
> > somewhere, but it rarely comes up as an issue.
> So, what do we do in this case, where an OLDER client (<=7.2.3) connects
> to a new (>=7.3) server, and BASIC stuff like backslash commands BREAK
> because of the schema stuff?
>
> IT NEEDS TO BE AT LEAST DOCUMENTED PROMINENTLY.

In the case you are describing, it is new clients connecting to old
servers.  We have had several releases where this caused problems but
received few error reports.

Pennsylvania19073