Обсуждение: Our archive searching stinks

Our archive searching stinks

Дата:
OK, I have finally decided that our archive searching stinks.  I have
emails in my mailbox that don't appear in the archives.

Our main site, http://archives.postgresql.org/ doesn't archive the
'patches' list.  (It isn't listed on the main site, and I can't find
postings via searching.) Also, why does it open a separate window for
each email.  That doesn't make any sense to me.

My backup is Google,
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=comp.databases.postgresql,
but that seems to be missing emails too.  Our email/news link regulary
drops messages and therefore Google can't see them.

It isn't one thing, but a general lack of quality in this area.  Heck,
we had no usable archives for _months_.  Is this really only important
to me?

Oh, I see FTS is back working at http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/.  I
like the output format, but all three are give me different results.
However, fts is invisible because I can't find a link to it from
anywhere on our web pages.

I guess I am asking:
Can our main archive start doing the patches list?Can it stop opening a new window for every email?Can we find out why
theemail/news gateway drops messages?Can we link to the fts site?

Search for 'dbmirror' on all three and you will see the differences.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Our archive searching stinks

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> OK, I have finally decided that our archive searching stinks.  I have
> emails in my mailbox that don't appear in the archives.
>
> Our main site, http://archives.postgresql.org/ doesn't archive the
> 'patches' list.  (It isn't listed on the main site, and I can't find
> postings via searching.) Also, why does it open a separate window for
> each email.  That doesn't make any sense to me.
>
> My backup is Google,
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=comp.databases.postgresql,
> but that seems to be missing emails too.  Our email/news link regulary
> drops messages and therefore Google can't see them.
>
> It isn't one thing, but a general lack of quality in this area.  Heck,
> we had no usable archives for _months_.  Is this really only important
> to me?
>
> Oh, I see FTS is back working at http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/.  I
> like the output format, but all three are give me different results.
> However, fts is invisible because I can't find a link to it from
> anywhere on our web pages.
>
> I guess I am asking:
>
>     Can our main archive start doing the patches list?

Yes ...

>     Can it stop opening a new window for every email?

Yes ...

>     Can we find out why the email/news gateway drops messages?

Email->News gateways aren't the best to start with, since they rely on far
too many variables ... main one coming to mind is if the news server is
down for any length of time ... this should be improved now, as we moved
it over to the new server pretty much as soon as it came online, and so
far has been *alot* more stable there then on the old one ...

>     Can we link to the fts site?

Should be, but it was down for a long time there, and nobody informed that
it was back up and running ... I have to talk to Theo about moving it tho,
since when we got the postgresql.org server upgraded to 4gig (from a
measely 512MB), I moved everything except for fts to v7.2 with a 1.5gig
shared memory buffer :)  disk I/O still sucks, mind you, but nothing I can
do about *that* at this time ...

Re: Our archive searching stinks

Дата:
This is all great news.  Thanks.

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > OK, I have finally decided that our archive searching stinks.  I have
> > emails in my mailbox that don't appear in the archives.
> >
> > Our main site, http://archives.postgresql.org/ doesn't archive the
> > 'patches' list.  (It isn't listed on the main site, and I can't find
> > postings via searching.) Also, why does it open a separate window for
> > each email.  That doesn't make any sense to me.
> >
> > My backup is Google,
> > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=comp.databases.postgresql,
> > but that seems to be missing emails too.  Our email/news link regulary
> > drops messages and therefore Google can't see them.
> >
> > It isn't one thing, but a general lack of quality in this area.  Heck,
> > we had no usable archives for _months_.  Is this really only important
> > to me?
> >
> > Oh, I see FTS is back working at http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/.  I
> > like the output format, but all three are give me different results.
> > However, fts is invisible because I can't find a link to it from
> > anywhere on our web pages.
> >
> > I guess I am asking:
> >
> >     Can our main archive start doing the patches list?
>
> Yes ...
>
> >     Can it stop opening a new window for every email?
>
> Yes ...
>
> >     Can we find out why the email/news gateway drops messages?
>
> Email->News gateways aren't the best to start with, since they rely on far
> too many variables ... main one coming to mind is if the news server is
> down for any length of time ... this should be improved now, as we moved
> it over to the new server pretty much as soon as it came online, and so
> far has been *alot* more stable there then on the old one ...
>
> >     Can we link to the fts site?
>
> Should be, but it was down for a long time there, and nobody informed that
> it was back up and running ... I have to talk to Theo about moving it tho,
> since when we got the postgresql.org server upgraded to 4gig (from a
> measely 512MB), I moved everything except for fts to v7.2 with a 1.5gig
> shared memory buffer :)  disk I/O still sucks, mind you, but nothing I can
> do about *that* at this time ...

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Our archive searching stinks

От
Alessio Bragadini
Дата:
On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 17:07, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> >     Can we find out why the email/news gateway drops messages?
>
> Email->News gateways aren't the best to start with, since they rely on far
> too many variables ... main one coming to mind is if the news server is
> down for any length of time ... this should be improved now, as we moved
> it over to the new server pretty much as soon as it came online, and so
> far has been *alot* more stable there then on the old one ...

Unfortunately, I've received only an handful of messages in the
newsgroups during the last couple of week, and it doesn't seem to
improve.

In fact, I've suggested to my users to go back to using lists, because
the service is not reliable.

--
Alessio F. Bragadini        alessio@albourne.com
APL Financial Services        http://village.albourne.com

"It is more complicated than you think"    -- The Eighth Networking Truth from RFC 1925

Re: Our archive searching stinks

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
damn, I wish ppl would bring stuff like this up earlier :(  I've just gone
through the configs, and think the problem(s) are fixed with this ... :(

On 21 Jun 2002, Alessio Bragadini wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 17:07, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
> > >     Can we find out why the email/news gateway drops messages?
> >
> > Email->News gateways aren't the best to start with, since they rely on far
> > too many variables ... main one coming to mind is if the news server is
> > down for any length of time ... this should be improved now, as we moved
> > it over to the new server pretty much as soon as it came online, and so
> > far has been *alot* more stable there then on the old one ...
>
> Unfortunately, I've received only an handful of messages in the
> newsgroups during the last couple of week, and it doesn't seem to
> improve.
>
> In fact, I've suggested to my users to go back to using lists, because
> the service is not reliable.
>
> --
> Alessio F. Bragadini        alessio@albourne.com
> APL Financial Services        http://village.albourne.com
> Nicosia, Cyprus             phone: +357-22-755750
>
> "It is more complicated than you think"
>         -- The Eighth Networking Truth from RFC 1925

Re: Our archive searching stinks

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> OK, I have finally decided that our archive searching stinks.  I have
> emails in my mailbox that don't appear in the archives.
>
> Our main site, http://archives.postgresql.org/ doesn't archive the
> 'patches' list.  (It isn't listed on the main site, and I can't find
> postings via searching.) Also, why does it open a separate window for
> each email.  That doesn't make any sense to me.
>
> My backup is Google,
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=comp.databases.postgresql,
> but that seems to be missing emails too.  Our email/news link regulary
> drops messages and therefore Google can't see them.
>
> It isn't one thing, but a general lack of quality in this area.  Heck,
> we had no usable archives for _months_.  Is this really only important
> to me?
>
> Oh, I see FTS is back working at http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/.  I
> like the output format, but all three are give me different results.
> However, fts is invisible because I can't find a link to it from
> anywhere on our web pages.
>
> I guess I am asking:
>
>     Can our main archive start doing the patches list?
>     Can it stop opening a new window for every email?
>     Can we find out why the email/news gateway drops messages?
>     Can we link to the fts site?

The only thing I can help with is the fts link, but I'm hesitant to
link to something that disappears.  If it's going to be here and not
go away again I'll be happy to add it.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: Our archive searching stinks

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> >     Can we link to the fts site?
>
> The only thing I can help with is the fts link, but I'm hesitant to
> link to something that disappears.  If it's going to be here and not
> go away again I'll be happy to add it.

The only reason it "disappeared" was more my fault then anything ... I
spec'd out that server for what I *thought* we were using on the old one,
and didn't realize how much memory was required ... the upgraded to 4gig
appears to have helped ...