Обсуждение: Beta going well

Beta going well

Дата:
We have seen very few bug reports since going beta.  That means either
no one is testing the beta, which I don't believe, or that the beta is
quite stable.  Maybe we should start thinking about a date for the final
7.2 release, perhaps mid to end November.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Beta going well

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
I don't think so ... let's talk beta2 in mid November, with a much broader
announcement then just -hackers, with maybe an rc1 around the end of
November, schedualing a release for January 1st or there abouts ...

Few ppl ever jump onto Beta1 of anything ... there have been some changes
since Beta, so a Beta2 is warranted ... rc1 is when we've always stated
that we are confident with it for release, so that more ppl start to jump
on ...

On Sat, 3 Nov 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> We have seen very few bug reports since going beta.  That means either
> no one is testing the beta, which I don't believe, or that the beta is
> quite stable.  Maybe we should start thinking about a date for the final
> 7.2 release, perhaps mid to end November.

Re: Beta going well

От
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Дата:
On Saturday 03 November 2001 07:51 pm, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> I don't think so ... let's talk beta2 in mid November, with a much broader
> announcement then just -hackers, with maybe an rc1 around the end of
> November, schedualing a release for January 1st or there abouts ...

FYI, I went to the developers page on the web site and clicked on the link
"Beta versions of PostgreSQL".  That took me to
http://developer.postgresql.org/beta.php which said, "No beta software
currently available"  Since beta 1 has been released, is the site just out of
date, or is it intentionally not listed there?

Re: Beta going well

От
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Дата:
On Saturday 03 November 2001 07:51 pm, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> I don't think so ... let's talk beta2 in mid November, with a much broader
> announcement then just -hackers, with maybe an rc1 around the end of
> November, schedualing a release for January 1st or there abouts ...
>
> Few ppl ever jump onto Beta1 of anything ... there have been some changes
> since Beta, so a Beta2 is warranted ... rc1 is when we've always stated
> that we are confident with it for release, so that more ppl start to jump
> on ...

In addition to my previous post, I have been trying unsuccessfully for the
last 10 - 15 mintues to find somewhere that I can download the beta software
from.  ftp.postgresql.org is at it's user limit and the message references
the mirror list found at

http://www.postgresql.org/sites.html

However when I go to this link I am redirected to

http://www.postgresql.org/

Re: Beta going well

> I don't think so ... let's talk beta2 in mid November, with a much broader
> announcement then just -hackers, with maybe an rc1 around the end of
> November, schedualing a release for January 1st or there abouts ...
>
> Few ppl ever jump onto Beta1 of anything ... there have been some changes
> since Beta, so a Beta2 is warranted ... rc1 is when we've always stated
> that we are confident with it for release, so that more ppl start to jump
> on ...

I am afraid you may be correct.  It bothers me that we will spend
another two months doing little but waiting, and considering post-final,
there could be three months of downtime here.   Yuck.

Folks, can we shorten this up?  If no one is reporting on beta1, let's
roll a beta2, and if we don't get anything major in a week, can't we go
to rc1?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Beta going well

От
bpalmer

> Folks, can we shorten this up?  If no one is reporting on beta1, let's
> roll a beta2, and if we don't get anything major in a week, can't we go
> to rc1?

I've asked it before and I'll ask it again,  is there somewhere TO report
success or only failures?

- Brandon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------c: 646-456-5455
              h: 201-798-4983b. palmer,  bpalmer@crimelabs.net           pgp:crimelabs.net/bpalmer.pgp5

Re: Beta going well

От
Justin Clift

"Matthew T. O'Connor" wrote:

<snip>

> http://www.postgresql.org/sites.html

Just tried this link (using Netscape) and got a :

Not Found

The requested URL /css/depts.css was not found on this server.

Seems to be a missing CSS.  :(

+ Justin

> However when I go to this link I am redirected to
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/

first group; there was less competition there."  - Indira Gandhi

Re: Broken downloads (was: Beta going well)

От
Jeremy Wohl
Дата:
On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 09:08:54PM -0600, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> > [beta1 talk]
>
> In addition to my previous post, I have been trying unsuccessfully for the
> last 10 - 15 mintues to find somewhere that I can download the beta software
> from.  ftp.postgresql.org is at it's user limit and the message references
> the mirror list found at
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/sites.html
>
> However when I go to this link I am redirected to
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/

Worse, that's been the case for at least a few weeks.  I've only satisfied
my repeated downloads of 7.1.3 by having known about ftp.us.postgresql.org.
The web site has been looping, in various states of broken, as you say.

-jeremy
jeremy wohl ..: http://igmus.org

Re: Beta going well

> > Folks, can we shorten this up?  If no one is reporting on beta1, let's
> > roll a beta2, and if we don't get anything major in a week, can't we go
> > to rc1?
>
> I've asked it before and I'll ask it again,  is there somewhere TO report
> success or only failures?

That is a good question.  Right now we only get problem reports.
However, considering we sort of stopped adding stuff around
mid-September, we really have been in beta for 1.5 months now so it is
no surprise things are looking very stable.

I just hate to wait around if there is a low probability that something
major will be reported.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Beta going well

От
Justin Clift
bpalmer wrote:

> > Folks, can we shorten this up?  If no one is reporting on beta1, let's
> > roll a beta2, and if we don't get anything major in a week, can't we go
> > to rc1?
>
> I've asked it before and I'll ask it again,  is there somewhere TO report
> success or only failures?

We have a place where we can report platforms which pass the regression
tests, called the "Regression Test Database" :

http://developer.postgresql.org/regress/

Is this what you're after?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> - Brandon

first group; there was less competition there."  - Indira Gandhi

Re: Beta going well

Дата:
"Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net> writes:
> In addition to my previous post, I have been trying unsuccessfully for the
> last 10 - 15 mintues to find somewhere that I can download the beta software
> from.

Try ftp://ftp.us.postgresql.org/beta/

> ftp.postgresql.org is at it's user limit and the message references
> the mirror list found at
> http://www.postgresql.org/sites.html
> However when I go to this link I am redirected to
> http://www.postgresql.org/

Hmm, you're right; the index-of-mirrors page has disappeared from view.
Vince, can you straighten this out?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Beta going well

Дата:
>> I don't think so ... let's talk beta2 in mid November, with a much broader
>> announcement then just -hackers, with maybe an rc1 around the end of
>> November, schedualing a release for January 1st or there abouts ...

> I am afraid you may be correct.  It bothers me that we will spend
> another two months doing little but waiting, and considering post-final,
> there could be three months of downtime here.   Yuck.

> Folks, can we shorten this up?

In the past we've usually targeted a one-month beta cycle, haven't we?
Often it took longer, but with so few trouble reports I can't see a
justification for suddenly changing the target to ten weeks.

I would almost say that we could plan to do beta2 this week, rc1 the
week of Thanksgiving, and final about Dec 1 (barring major trouble
reports of course).

But ... there are a couple of flies in the ointment.  One is that with
the kinks still not completely worked out of the new server setup,
I don't have much confidence that there are really a lot of people doing
beta testing.  (If Marc ever put out an actual announcement of beta1,
I didn't get it.  And we know some people have been unable to download
the beta.)  The other is that with the holiday season coming up, many
people will have less spare time than usual to spend on Postgres.  So
maybe Marc's unaggressive schedule proposal is appropriate.

On the whole, though, I agree with Bruce.  We've been in "almost beta"
mode for two months now, we shouldn't need another two months to get to
release.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Beta going well

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Justin Clift wrote:

> "Matthew T. O'Connor" wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > http://www.postgresql.org/sites.html
>
> Just tried this link (using Netscape) and got a :
>
> Not Found
>
> The requested URL /css/depts.css was not found on this server.
>
> Seems to be a missing CSS.  :(

fixed.  lynx seems to be acting differently than it was before and rather
than doing a redirect it's downloading the redirected source.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: Beta going well

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Sat, 3 Nov 2001, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:

> On Saturday 03 November 2001 07:51 pm, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > I don't think so ... let's talk beta2 in mid November, with a much broader
> > announcement then just -hackers, with maybe an rc1 around the end of
> > November, schedualing a release for January 1st or there abouts ...
> >
> > Few ppl ever jump onto Beta1 of anything ... there have been some changes
> > since Beta, so a Beta2 is warranted ... rc1 is when we've always stated
> > that we are confident with it for release, so that more ppl start to jump
> > on ...
>
> In addition to my previous post, I have been trying unsuccessfully for the
> last 10 - 15 mintues to find somewhere that I can download the beta software
> from.  ftp.postgresql.org is at it's user limit and the message references
> the mirror list found at
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/sites.html
>
> However when I go to this link I am redirected to
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/

The machine the database is on doesn't appear to be available.  I guess
things will be disrupted until the game of musical machines is over :(

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: Beta going well

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Sat, 3 Nov 2001, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:

> On Saturday 03 November 2001 07:51 pm, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > I don't think so ... let's talk beta2 in mid November, with a much broader
> > announcement then just -hackers, with maybe an rc1 around the end of
> > November, schedualing a release for January 1st or there abouts ...
>
> FYI, I went to the developers page on the web site and clicked on the link
> "Beta versions of PostgreSQL".  That took me to
> http://developer.postgresql.org/beta.php which said, "No beta software
> currently available"  Since beta 1 has been released, is the site just out of
> date, or is it intentionally not listed there?

None of the above, I forgot to uncomment the listing in the php code!
It's there now.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: Beta going well

От
bpalmer
Дата:
> We have a place where we can report platforms which pass the regression
> tests, called the "Regression Test Database" :
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/regress/

Sure,  can this list be reset for 7.2b1?

- Brandon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------c: 646-456-5455
              h: 201-798-4983b. palmer,  bpalmer@crimelabs.net           pgp:crimelabs.net/bpalmer.pgp5

Re: Beta going well

Дата:
> In the past we've usually targeted a one-month beta cycle, haven't we?
> Often it took longer, but with so few trouble reports I can't see a
> justification for suddenly changing the target to ten weeks.

That was my reading of events.

> I would almost say that we could plan to do beta2 this week, rc1 the
> week of Thanksgiving, and final about Dec 1 (barring major trouble
> reports of course).

It would be great if we could do this.  If there were server problems,
that would be a good reason to get those all ironed out, if they aren't
already, and announce a big beta2, and tell people they have ~1 week and
if we don't hear anything, we are going RC1.  That will get their
attention.  :-)

> But ... there are a couple of flies in the ointment.  One is that with
> the kinks still not completely worked out of the new server setup,
> I don't have much confidence that there are really a lot of people doing
> beta testing.  (If Marc ever put out an actual announcement of beta1,
> I didn't get it.  And we know some people have been unable to download
> the beta.)  The other is that with the holiday season coming up, many
> people will have less spare time than usual to spend on Postgres.  So
> maybe Marc's unaggressive schedule proposal is appropriate.

Actually, the Christmas holiday season is often busy with development,
especially the week between Christmas and New Years because most offices
are slow during the period.  Also, lots of people like to upgrade during
that period for the same reason, which makes releaseing a final prior to
Christmas a double win -- we get development time and they can upgrade
during a slow period.

> On the whole, though, I agree with Bruce.  We've been in "almost beta"
> mode for two months now, we shouldn't need another two months to get to
> release.

In previois betas, we have had the occasional "Wow, I am glad that
didn't get into final" bugs, but I haven't seen _any_ yet and I am
doubting if I will.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Beta going well

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Sunday 04 November 2001 01:08 pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > In the past we've usually targeted a one-month beta cycle, haven't we?
> > Often it took longer, but with so few trouble reports I can't see a
> > justification for suddenly changing the target to ten weeks.

> That was my reading of events.

I am concerned in that I have yet to receive a request for RPMs of the beta.

In previous release cycles, those requests have come hot and heavy shortly
after the beta announcements. Unless the interest in RPM has drastically
reduced in the last couple of months, my gut feel is that our beta1 has had
very little exposure outside this list -- and the netizens of this list
aren't typically RPM addicts.

I have not had time in the past couple of weeks to do much with them, though.
Looking for a break in the action this week, hopefully.

I would, however, guard against rushing a release -- we _do_ have a 'solid
release' reputation to protect.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: Beta going well

Дата:
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> ... my gut feel is that our beta1 has had
> very little exposure outside this list

Probably not, considering it has not been announced anywhere outside
this list.  Ahem.

Since we've made a number of fixes in the past two weeks, I think
our next step should be to roll a beta2, and then actually announce it
[as in pgsql-announce].  We can argue more about schedule after that's
been out for a week or so.

Anyone have stuff that they need to get in there before beta2?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Beta going well

От
Brent Verner
Дата:
On 04 Nov 2001 at 19:59 (-0500), Tom Lane wrote:
| Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
| > ... my gut feel is that our beta1 has had
| > very little exposure outside this list
|
| Probably not, considering it has not been announced anywhere outside
| this list.  Ahem.
|
| Since we've made a number of fixes in the past two weeks, I think
| our next step should be to roll a beta2, and then actually announce it
| [as in pgsql-announce].  We can argue more about schedule after that's
| been out for a week or so.
|
| Anyone have stuff that they need to get in there before beta2?
 I've an in progress (er, stalled ATM) attempt to squash a bug
in ALTER TABLE RENAME, where the args to referenced in function
calls are updtead to reflect the new name[1].  There is also the
outstanding resolution to David Ford's libpq EINTR issues[2], on which
I  agree with your assessment of handling EINTR the same as EINPROGRESS
for connect(), though [AFAICT] David has not confirmed that your
proposed solution solves his problem.
 I'll do my best to get a patch to the list tonight for the ALTER
TABLE RENAME fixes.  If I don't wrap this up tonight, it will be
next weekend before I'll have time to dive back in.  I don't consider
this pending work any reason to hold up any beta2/rc1 scheduling,
since the change is very localized, but this fix should be in before
7.2 is released.

cheers, Brent

1) http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1038272
2) http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1041165

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman

Re: Beta going well

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> Probably not, considering it has not been announced anywhere outside
> this list.  Ahem.
>
> Since we've made a number of fixes in the past two weeks, I think
> our next step should be to roll a beta2, and then actually announce it
> [as in pgsql-announce].  We can argue more about schedule after that's
> been out for a week or so.
>
> Anyone have stuff that they need to get in there before beta2?

Yes. doesn't compile on AIX 5L. I would like to fix it before beta2
(see attached pacthes below).

However I'm not sure if it's a correct solution. Problem is, AIX 5L
has sys/inttypes.h where int8, int16, int32 and int64 are
defined. Should we detect them in configure? Also, I'm afraid it would
break other AIX versions. Comments?
--
Tatsuo Ishii

*** include/c.h.orig    Mon Oct 29 11:58:33 2001
--- include/c.h    Mon Oct 29 12:08:13 2001
***************
*** 205,213 ****
--- 205,215 ----  *        frontend/backend protocol.  */ #ifndef __BEOS__                /* this shouldn't be
required,but is is! */

+ #if !defined(_AIX) typedef signed char int8;        /* == 8 bits */ typedef signed short int16;        /* == 16 bits
*/typedef signed int int32;        /* == 32 bits */

+ #endif /* _AIX */ #endif     /* __BEOS__ */  /*
***************
*** 275,281 ****
--- 277,285 ---- #else #ifdef HAVE_LONG_LONG_INT_64 /* We have working support for "long long int", use that */
+ #if !defined(_AIX) typedef long long int int64;
+ #endif /* _AIX */ typedef unsigned long long int uint64;  #else

Re: Beta going well

Дата:
> However I'm not sure if it's a correct solution. Problem is, AIX 5L
> has sys/inttypes.h where int8, int16, int32 and int64 are
> defined. Should we detect them in configure? Also, I'm afraid it would
> break other AIX versions. Comments?

Perhaps have configure test for the presence of <sys/inttypes.h>
and then let c.h do
#ifdef HAVE_SYS_INTTYPES_H#include <sys/inttypes.h>#elsetypedef signed char int8;... etc#endif

Could this substitute for the ugly #ifndef __BEOS__ as well?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Beta going well

Дата:
> I never got a beta notification, it's not mentioned on the PostgreSQL page,
> and I personally have no idea from where to download it.  I looked though
> the Australian mirror FTP site, but I could find no trace of a beta
> download.

I think Tom's suggestion was best.  Let's package beta2, publicise it,
and see what things look like one week after that.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Beta going well

От
"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD"
Дата:
> > Anyone have stuff that they need to get in there before beta2?
>
> Yes. doesn't compile on AIX 5L. I would like to fix it before beta2
> (see attached pacthes below).

IIRC not all (old) versions of AIX define those, thus your patch would
break those that havent :-( I am not sure we care about those old
versions
anymore though.
Also I actually see those defines as a bug in AIX, since a comment
states,
that BSD requires them, I certainly havent heard BSD'ers complain about
redefines ?

Also I don't understand why your compiler stops ? Mine only give a
warning.

These defines are only included if _ALL_SOURCE is defined. I think this
define
stems from another system header file, that gets included somewhere
else.
Maybe a better fix would be to #undef _ALL_SOURCE before including
inttypes.h ?

Andreas

Re: Beta going well

От
"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD"
Дата:
> Perhaps have configure test for the presence of <sys/inttypes.h>
> and then let c.h do

It is directly in /usr/include/inttypes.h in AIX 4.3.2 :-(

Andreas

Re: Beta going well

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> IIRC not all (old) versions of AIX define those, thus your patch would
> break those that havent :-( I am not sure we care about those old
> versions
> anymore though.
> Also I actually see those defines as a bug in AIX, since a comment
> states,
> that BSD requires them, I certainly havent heard BSD'ers complain about
> redefines ?
>
> Also I don't understand why your compiler stops ? Mine only give a
> warning.
>
> These defines are only included if _ALL_SOURCE is defined. I think this
> define
> stems from another system header file, that gets included somewhere
> else.
> Maybe a better fix would be to #undef _ALL_SOURCE before including
> inttypes.h ?

Ok, let me see if it fixes the problems.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: Beta going well

От
darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
Дата:
Thus spake Tatsuo Ishii
> > Anyone have stuff that they need to get in there before beta2?
>
> Yes. doesn't compile on AIX 5L. I would like to fix it before beta2
> (see attached pacthes below).
>
> However I'm not sure if it's a correct solution. Problem is, AIX 5L
> has sys/inttypes.h where int8, int16, int32 and int64 are
> defined. Should we detect them in configure? Also, I'm afraid it would
> break other AIX versions. Comments?

I see the same problem on rs6000-ibm-aix4.3.3.0.  Your patch fixes it
there as well.

Re: Beta going well

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
> But ... there are a couple of flies in the ointment.  One is that with
> the kinks still not completely worked out of the new server setup,
> I don't have much confidence that there are really a lot of people doing
> beta testing.  (If Marc ever put out an actual announcement of beta1,
> I didn't get it.  And we know some people have been unable to download
> the beta.)  The other is that with the holiday season coming up, many
> people will have less spare time than usual to spend on Postgres.  So
> maybe Marc's unaggressive schedule proposal is appropriate.

I never got a beta notification, it's not mentioned on the PostgreSQL page,
and I personally have no idea from where to download it.  I looked though
the Australian mirror FTP site, but I could find no trace of a beta
download.

Chris

Re: Beta going well

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Sunday 04 November 2001 07:59 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> > ... my gut feel is that our beta1 has had
> > very little exposure outside this list

> Probably not, considering it has not been announced anywhere outside
> this list.  Ahem.

Me needs another podondectomy..... :-)
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: Beta going well

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> > But ... there are a couple of flies in the ointment.  One is that with
> > the kinks still not completely worked out of the new server setup,
> > I don't have much confidence that there are really a lot of people doing
> > beta testing.  (If Marc ever put out an actual announcement of beta1,
> > I didn't get it.  And we know some people have been unable to download
> > the beta.)  The other is that with the holiday season coming up, many
> > people will have less spare time than usual to spend on Postgres.  So
> > maybe Marc's unaggressive schedule proposal is appropriate.
>
> I never got a beta notification, it's not mentioned on the PostgreSQL page,
> and I personally have no idea from where to download it.  I looked though
> the Australian mirror FTP site, but I could find no trace of a beta
> download.

Which "PostgreSQL page" and there is no official Australian mirror ftp
(or web for all that matter) site so they wouldn't have a copy of the
beta.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: Beta going well

От
Adrian Phillips
Дата:
   Tom> Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp> writes:   >> However I'm not sure if it's a correct solution. Problem is,   >>
AIX5L has sys/inttypes.h where int8, int16, int32 and int64   >> are defined. Should we detect them in configure? Also,
I'm  >> afraid it would break other AIX versions. Comments?

   Tom> Perhaps have configure test for the presence of   Tom> <sys/inttypes.h> and then let c.h do
   Tom>     #ifdef HAVE_SYS_INTTYPES_H #include <sys/inttypes.h> #else   Tom> typedef signed char int8; ... etc #endif
   Tom> Could this substitute for the ugly #ifndef __BEOS__ as well?

Hmm, AIX 4.2 and 4.1 define these in sys/ltypes.h. How that affects
the result of this discussion I have no idea.

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--
Your mouse has moved.
Reboot now?  [OK]

Re: Beta going well

От
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Дата:
On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Lamar Owen wrote:

> I am concerned in that I have yet to receive a request for RPMs of
> the beta.

Sorry Lamar.  I thought I saw a message saying you were putting the RPMs
together so I was waiting to hear they were ready.

I'd like the RPMs!!!

I have a RHL7.1 system that I can use to test the RPMs and probably do
the regression tests and friends on also.

Waiting for my new SDSL line so it will be a couple of days before I
report back as I have to downlaod to a fast-connected system, move onto
tape, and take home for loading and testing.

Rod
--                      Let Accuracy Triumph Over Victory
                                                      Zetetic Institute
     "David's Sling"                                                        Marc Stiegler

Re: Beta going well

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Monday 05 November 2001 10:35 am, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > I am concerned in that I have yet to receive a request for RPMs of
> > the beta.

> Sorry Lamar.  I thought I saw a message saying you were putting the RPMs
> together so I was waiting to hear they were ready.

> I'd like the RPMs!!!

Ah, a customer... :-)

I'll wait for 7.2b2, which fixes some things that currently prevent RPM
building without patching from CVS.

Plus, my time has been extremely tight the last couple of months, but a few
days off actually looks possible now -- and building this set shouldn't be
too difficult, thanks to PeterE's patchwork.

RPM's will be built at this time on RHL7.1and RHL7.2 -- although the 7.1
option will disappear here when I upgrade my devel server to 7.2.  As stated
before, I don't currently have other machines (except LER's OpenUnix system)
on which to built and test -- so you having 7.1 will be nice further down the
cycle.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: Beta going well

Дата:
"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA@spardat.at> writes:
> Maybe a better fix would be to #undef _ALL_SOURCE before including
> inttypes.h ?

Is it possible to avoid including inttypes.h altogether?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Beta going well

От
"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD"
Дата:
> > Maybe a better fix would be to #undef _ALL_SOURCE before including
> > inttypes.h ?
>
> Is it possible to avoid including inttypes.h altogether?

Looks like we get it from arpa/inet.h. I don't see any content why we
would need inttypes.h directly.

Andreas

Re: Beta going well

От
Horst Herb
Дата:
On Tuesday 06 November 2001 02:35, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > I am concerned in that I have yet to receive a request for RPMs of
> > the beta.
>
> Sorry Lamar.  I thought I saw a message saying you were putting the RPMs
> together so I was waiting to hear they were ready.
>
> I'd like the RPMs!!!
>
> I have a RHL7.1 system that I can use to test the RPMs and probably do
> the regression tests and friends on also.

And so would I! I have a RH7.2 system plus a Mandrake 8.1 system eager to
start testing.

Horst

Re: Beta going well

От
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Дата:
On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Lamar Owen wrote:

> Ah, a customer... :-)

Too bad it wasn't the millionth so I could win a door prize or
something.

> I'll wait for 7.2b2, which fixes some things that currently prevent RPM
> building without patching from CVS.

Sounds good to me.

> Plus, my time has been extremely tight the last couple of months, but a few
> days off actually looks possible now -- and building this set shouldn't be
> too difficult, thanks to PeterE's patchwork.

When I get the DSL line in I'd like to help more with the RPM packaging.
Dialup works OK but only OK.

> RPM's will be built at this time on RHL7.1and RHL7.2 -- although the 7.1
> option will disappear here when I upgrade my devel server to 7.2.  As stated
> before, I don't currently have other machines (except LER's OpenUnix system)
> on which to built and test -- so you having 7.1 will be nice further down the
> cycle.

Yeah I'm a late migrator.  I can do 7.1 for quite awhile.

Let us(me) know when and where.

Cheers,
Rod
--                      Let Accuracy Triumph Over Victory
                                                      Zetetic Institute
     "David's Sling"                                                        Marc Stiegler

Re: Beta going well

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
> Which "PostgreSQL page" and there is no official Australian mirror ftp
> (or web for all that matter) site so they wouldn't have a copy of the
> beta.

On www.postgresql.org and the Australian(-ish) mirror site is:

http://postgresql.planetmirror.com/

Chris

Re: Beta going well

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> It is directly in /usr/include/inttypes.h in AIX 4.3.2 :-(

Isn't it linked to /usr/include/sys/inttypes.h ?
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: Beta going well

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> > Which "PostgreSQL page" and there is no official Australian mirror ftp
> > (or web for all that matter) site so they wouldn't have a copy of the
> > beta.
>
> On www.postgresql.org and the Australian(-ish) mirror site is:
>
> http://postgresql.planetmirror.com/

www.postgresql.org is a list of mirror sites.  As to the mirror you
refer to, I timestamp ALL mirrors:

http://postgresql.planetmirror.com/timestamp.txt

shows: Thu Oct 18 00:01:00 EDT 2001   not exactly up to date.

http://www.at.postgresql.org/timestamp.txt is the Austrian mirror,
it shows:  Mon Nov  5 00:01:00 EST 2001

The stamp is written at midnite local time.   As I said above, there
is currently no official PostgreSQL mirror in Australia.   Beta info
is found on the Developer's website, I keep it separated because of
our history of stable releases, many people come to expect it out of
the betas as well and aren't happy if it doesn't have release version
stability.  The developer's website is: http://developer.postgresql.org/

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: Beta going well

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
> The stamp is written at midnite local time.   As I said above, there
> is currently no official PostgreSQL mirror in Australia.   Beta info
> is found on the Developer's website, I keep it separated because of
> our history of stable releases, many people come to expect it out of
> the betas as well and aren't happy if it doesn't have release version
> stability.  The developer's website is: http://developer.postgresql.org/

May I ask why there isn't an active Australian mirror?  I, for one, would
find it quite helpful.   I did notice when it was removed from the
www.postgresql.org 'flags' list tho.

Chris

Re: Beta going well

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> Also I don't understand why your compiler stops ? Mine only give a
> warning.

Maybe due to the difference of the compiler verion. xlc coming with
AIX 5L stops. Note that gcc doesn't. What is your OS version?

> These defines are only included if _ALL_SOURCE is defined. I think this
> define
> stems from another system header file, that gets included somewhere
> else.
> Maybe a better fix would be to #undef _ALL_SOURCE before including
> inttypes.h ?

It seems inttypes.h is included by types.h which is included by
stdio.h which is included by c.h. I inserted #undef into c.h but it
does not help at all:-<
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: Beta going well

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> > The stamp is written at midnite local time.   As I said above, there
> > is currently no official PostgreSQL mirror in Australia.   Beta info
> > is found on the Developer's website, I keep it separated because of
> > our history of stable releases, many people come to expect it out of
> > the betas as well and aren't happy if it doesn't have release version
> > stability.  The developer's website is: http://developer.postgresql.org/
>
> May I ask why there isn't an active Australian mirror?  I, for one, would
> find it quite helpful.   I did notice when it was removed from the
> www.postgresql.org 'flags' list tho.

We don't solicit mirrors.  If someone wants to mirror, they contact us.
Recently we changed the rsync host and requirements for mirror hosts,
planetmirror hasn't responded.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: Beta going well

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA@spardat.at> writes:
> > Maybe a better fix would be to #undef _ALL_SOURCE before including
> > inttypes.h ?
>
> Is it possible to avoid including inttypes.h altogether?

It seems not possible. inttypes.h is included by types.h which is
included by stdio.h which is included by c.h.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: Beta going well

От
"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD"
Дата:
> > It is directly in /usr/include/inttypes.h in AIX 4.3.2 :-(
>
> Isn't it linked to /usr/include/sys/inttypes.h ?

Yes, I didn't see that, sorry.

Andreas

Re: Beta going well

Дата:
> The correct way would be to check for the existance of int8, int16, etc.

Good in theory ... but ... are you sure you have included the correct
set of system headers before checking this?  (It's not at all clear
to me that we know what "correct" is in this context.)
        regards, tom lane

Re: Beta going well

От
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane writes:

> Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp> writes:
> > However I'm not sure if it's a correct solution. Problem is, AIX 5L
> > has sys/inttypes.h where int8, int16, int32 and int64 are
> > defined. Should we detect them in configure? Also, I'm afraid it would
> > break other AIX versions. Comments?
>
> Perhaps have configure test for the presence of <sys/inttypes.h>
> and then let c.h do
>
>     #ifdef HAVE_SYS_INTTYPES_H
>     #include <sys/inttypes.h>
>     #else
>     typedef signed char int8;
>     ... etc
>     #endif

This is not correct, since we don't have any portable guarantees about the
content of <sys/inttypes.h>.

The correct way would be to check for the existance of int8, int16, etc.
The Autoconf <=2.13 macros for existance of types have been deprecated in
2.50 because they're broken.  (If the type is missing the replacement type
is #define'd, not typedef'd, which is claimed to be incorrect.  I don't
know why offhand, but let's not start finding out now.)

A possible workaround until we update our Autoconf (not now) would be

AC_CHECK_SIZEOF(int8)

#if SIZEOF_INT8 == 0
typedef signed char int8;
#endif

because the sizeof check results in 0 if the type doesn't exist.

I have attached a patch to this effect which I ask the affected people to
try out.

This patch could theoretically be insufficient if 'long int' is 64 bits
but int64 exists and is actually 'long long int'.  You would probably get
warnings about mismatched printf arguments, but I don't think there would
be actual problems.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Beta going well

От
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane writes:

> > The correct way would be to check for the existance of int8, int16, etc.
>
> Good in theory ... but ... are you sure you have included the correct
> set of system headers before checking this?

I'm sure I haven't, that's why someone is supposed to check this.

> (It's not at all clear to me that we know what "correct" is in this
> context.)

If the compiler is complaining that int8 is defined twice we need to check
if its already defined once and avoid a second declaration.  The problem
is setting up an appropriate environment to be relatively sure about the
result of "already defined once".  That's the usual procedure in autoconf
programming.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Java's Unicode Notation

От
Tatsuo Ishii
From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm.poure@freesurf.fr>
Subject: Java's Unicode Notation
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 14:12:04 +0100

> Dear Tatsuo,
>
> Could it be possible to use the Java Unicode Notation to define UTF-8
> strings in PostgreSQL 7.2.

No. It's too late. We are in the beta freeze stage.

> Information can be found on http://czyborra.com/utf/
>
> Do you think it is hard to implement?
>
> Best regards,
> Jean-Michel POURE

> Java's Unicode Notation
> There are some less compact but more readable ASCII transformations the
> most important of which is the Java Unicode Notation as allowed in Java
> source code and processed by Java's native2ascii converter:
> putwchar(c)
> {
> if (c >= 0x10000) {
> printf ("\\u%04x\\u%04x" , 0xD7C0 + (c >> 10), 0xDC00 | c & 0x3FF);
> }
> else if (c >= 0x100) printf ("\\u%04x", c);
> else putchar (c);
> }
> The advantage of the \u20ac notation is that it is very easy to type it in
> on any old ASCII keyboard and easy to look up the intended character if you
> happen to have a copy of the Unicode book or the
> {unidata2,names2,unihan}.txt files from the Unicode FTP site or CD-ROM or
> know what U+20AC is the �.
> What's not so nice about the \u20ac notation is that the small letters are
> quite unusual for Unicode characters, the backslashes have to be quoted for
> many Unix tools, the four hexdigits without a terminator may appear merged
> with the following word as in \u00a333 for ��33, it is unclear when and how
> you have to escape the backslash character itself, 6 bytes for one
> character may be considered wasteful, and there is no way to clearly
> present the characters beyond \uffff without \ud800\udc00 surrogates, and
> last but not least the plain hexnumbers may not be very helpful.
> JAVA is one of the target and source encodings of yudit and its uniconv
> converter.

Re: Beta going well

От
"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD"
Дата:
> > > The correct way would be to check for the existance of int8,
int16, etc.

Just tried to check your patch, but failed because I don't have a
running autoconf
:-(

Tried manual edit of pg_config:
It is important that all lines #undef SIZEOF_INTxx get replaced.
Wouldn't it be better to default those lines to #define SIZEOF_INT8 0

The check for int64 and uint64 has to be separated, my AIX
has: int8, int16, int32, int64
but not: uint8, uint16, uint32, uint64

Would you be so kind, as to supply me another patch (maybe including
configure) I can test before beta3 ?

Thanks in advance
Andreas
2.