Обсуждение: autoconf taking forever?

autoconf taking forever?

От
bpalmer
Дата:
I'm working on making some changes to the top level configure.in and m4
has now been running for 17 minutes on a 1.4G tbird.  Am I missing
something or is this know to take forever?

Thanks guys,
- Brandon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------c: 646-456-5455
              h: 201-798-4983b. palmer,  bpalmer@crimelabs.net           pgp:crimelabs.net/bpalmer.pgp5

Re: autoconf taking forever?

Дата:
bpalmer <bpalmer@crimelabs.net> writes:
> I'm working on making some changes to the top level configure.in and m4
> has now been running for 17 minutes on a 1.4G tbird.  Am I missing
> something or is this know to take forever?

Something's broken.  autoconf executes in about 3 seconds on my machine,
which is doubtless a lot slower than yours.
        regards, tom lane

Re: autoconf taking forever?

От
Peter Eisentraut
bpalmer writes:

> I'm working on making some changes to the top level configure.in and m4
> has now been running for 17 minutes on a 1.4G tbird.  Am I missing
> something or is this know to take forever?

For me, the autoconf run is "instantaneous".  Make sure you're using
Autoconf 2.13, and you don't have actual infinite loops in your code.  Or
perhaps the problem is in OpenBSD's m4 (which I suspect you are using)?

Re: autoconf taking forever?

От
Dan

I always found with new machines and configure scripts is if gethostname
does not resolve then the autoconfig will hang.
I would make sure your /etc/resolve.conf /etc/hosts , hostname domainname
are setup right and resolve from the command line.....man gethostbyname

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:58:30 -0400
> From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> To: bpalmer <bpalmer@crimelabs.net>
> Cc: pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] autoconf taking forever?
>
> bpalmer <bpalmer@crimelabs.net> writes:
> > I'm working on making some changes to the top level configure.in and m4
> > has now been running for 17 minutes on a 1.4G tbird.  Am I missing
> > something or is this know to take forever?
>
> Something's broken.  autoconf executes in about 3 seconds on my machine,
> which is doubtless a lot slower than yours.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: autoconf taking forever?

От
bpalmer
Дата:
> > I'm working on making some changes to the top level configure.in and m4
> > has now been running for 17 minutes on a 1.4G tbird.  Am I missing
> > something or is this know to take forever?
>
> For me, the autoconf run is "instantaneous".  Make sure you're using
> Autoconf 2.13, and you don't have actual infinite loops in your code.  Or
> perhaps the problem is in OpenBSD's m4 (which I suspect you are using)?

I am running 2.13 (even on a clean checkout of 7.1.3) and the autoconf
takes forever.  However,  m4 is the process that's running forever,  so I
have no doubs that the problem is there.  What version do you use that
works?  I'll try getting a new version...  Any ideas where to look for a
solution though?

- Brandon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------c: 646-456-5455
              h: 201-798-4983b. palmer,  bpalmer@crimelabs.net           pgp:crimelabs.net/bpalmer.pgp5

Re: autoconf taking forever?

Дата:
bpalmer <bpalmer@crimelabs.net> writes:
> I am running 2.13 (even on a clean checkout of 7.1.3) and the autoconf
> takes forever.  However,  m4 is the process that's running forever,  so I
> have no doubs that the problem is there.  What version do you use that
> works?

GNU m4 ... the version I have here is

$ m4 --version
GNU m4 1.4