Обсуждение: Large queries - again...

Large queries - again...

От
"Steve Howe"
Дата:
Hello all,
       I've tried again sending large queries using libpq on Windows
environment, without success.       I downloaded the PostgreSQL v7.12 sources, compiled libpq.dll using
Microsoft's Visual C++ 6.0, and tried sending a large query.       The problem is, when the query is > 8192 large, a
NULLpointer is

returned from PQexec().       I have tried using ZDE (http://www.zeoslib.org), which I helped
develop, and pgAccess. ZDE is based on the Zeos Database Objects library,
which provides full access to PostgreSQL to Borland Delphi and Borland C++
Builder compilers.       Could anyone please try this query:
ftp://carcass.dhs.org/pub/test.zip on windows (using libpq) and confirm it
suceed ? This archive contains a test.sql source, which will create a dumb
table with a text filed and then try to insert in it a large data (>8192
bytes) on it, and the libpq.dll I just compiled, for who want a fresh libpq
(it's virus free, don't worry... ). All my current PostgreSQL driver
implementation is depending on this. I'm sure the libpq will fail, unless
something very weird is happening in here... :)       Other friends have confirmed this behaviour.       I tried to
lookat the libpq sources to find out where's the error,

but I think it will take much less time to who develops it...

Best Regards,
Steve Howe

Re: Large queries - again...

Дата:
"Steve Howe" <howe@carcass.dhs.org> writes:
>         I downloaded the PostgreSQL v7.12 sources, compiled libpq.dll using
> Microsoft's Visual C++ 6.0, and tried sending a large query.
>         The problem is, when the query is > 8192 large, a NULL pointer is
> returned from PQexec().

It sure sounds to me like you are invoking an old (6.5 or before) libpq.
Perhaps you should check around to see if there are multiple libpq.dll
files on your system ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Large queries - again...

От
"Eduardo Stern"
Дата:
Well, I tested the query you sent, and I got these results accessing the
data:

1) libpq from Windows (freshly compiled from 7.1.2 sources): Error:
pqReadData() --  read() failed: errno=0
No error
2) ODBC from Windows: It works ok.

Steve Howe <howe@carcass.dhs.org> escreveu nas not�cias de
mensagem:9j8jce$ddo$1@news.tht.net...
> Hello all,
>
>         I've tried again sending large queries using libpq on Windows
> environment, without success.
>         I downloaded the PostgreSQL v7.12 sources, compiled libpq.dll
using
> Microsoft's Visual C++ 6.0, and tried sending a large query.
>         The problem is, when the query is > 8192 large, a NULL pointer is
> returned from PQexec().
>         I have tried using ZDE (http://www.zeoslib.org), which I helped
> develop, and pgAccess. ZDE is based on the Zeos Database Objects library,
> which provides full access to PostgreSQL to Borland Delphi and Borland C++
> Builder compilers.
>         Could anyone please try this query:
> ftp://carcass.dhs.org/pub/test.zip on windows (using libpq) and confirm it
> suceed ? This archive contains a test.sql source, which will create a dumb
> table with a text filed and then try to insert in it a large data (>8192
> bytes) on it, and the libpq.dll I just compiled, for who want a fresh
libpq
> (it's virus free, don't worry... ). All my current PostgreSQL driver
> implementation is depending on this. I'm sure the libpq will fail, unless
> something very weird is happening in here... :)
>         Other friends have confirmed this behaviour.
>         I tried to look at the libpq sources to find out where's the
error,
> but I think it will take much less time to who develops it...
>
> Best Regards,
> Steve Howe

Re: Large queries - again...

От
"Steve Howe"
Дата:
Hello Tom,
       Nope, I'm 100% sure that the libpq.dll used is the one I just
compiled. And I never installed an older libpq.dll on this system.       My application loads specifically the
libpq.dllI compiled (I use

the full library path on the call to LoadLibrary() call, so there is no way
it is an older library.       Eduardo Stern from dbExperts (http://www.dbexperts.com.br), a
PostgreSQL specialized consulting company, got the same results.       The ODBC driver, however, do not suffer from the
sameproblem, once

it does not use libpq.       Maybe I should write a C sample that proves libpq under windows has
this bug ???

Best Regards,
Steve Howe

> >         I downloaded the PostgreSQL v7.12 sources, compiled libpq.dll
using
> > Microsoft's Visual C++ 6.0, and tried sending a large query.
> >         The problem is, when the query is > 8192 large, a NULL pointer
is
> > returned from PQexec().
>
> It sure sounds to me like you are invoking an old (6.5 or before) libpq.
> Perhaps you should check around to see if there are multiple libpq.dll
> files on your system ...
>
> regards, tom lane

Re: Large queries - again...

От
"Steve Howe"
Дата:
Hello Tom,
       It returns "Error: pqReadData() --  read() failed: errno=0 No error
" as expected when a nil pointer is returned.

Best Regards,
Steve Howe

> >         Nope, I'm 100% sure that the libpq.dll used is the one I just
> > compiled. And I never installed an older libpq.dll on this system.
>
> Hmph.  So what is left in PQerrorMessage() after the failure?
>
> regards, tom lane

Re: Large queries - again...

Дата:
"Steve Howe" <howe@carcass.dhs.org> writes:
>         Nope, I'm 100% sure that the libpq.dll used is the one I just
> compiled. And I never installed an older libpq.dll on this system.

Hmph.  So what is left in PQerrorMessage() after the failure?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Large queries - again...

Дата:
"Steve Howe" <howe@carcass.dhs.org> writes:
>         It returns "Error: pqReadData() --  read() failed: errno=0 No error
> " as expected when a nil pointer is returned.

"As expected"?  That's not what I'd expect, especially not for a
behavior that's dependent on the size of an *outgoing* message.

(Thinks for awhile...)  You're not using PQsetnonblocking() are you,
by any chance?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Large queries - again...

От