Обсуждение: BSD gettext

BSD gettext

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
http://www.postgresql.org/~petere/gettext.html

This is a compilation of the BSD-licensed gettext tools from NetBSD plus
some of my own code, put into a (hopefully) portable package, intended to
be evaluated for possible use in PostgreSQL.  Give it a try if you're
interested.  I've already tried it on FreeBSD, Linux, and Unixware, so
don't bother with those.

I feel that this is ready to go.  NetBSD is using it in production as a
GNU gettext replacement, even for large packages.  The .mo file format is
pretty simple actually, so if issues came up we could tackle them
ourselves.

As for portability, the fanciest feature it uses is mmap(), but only to
map a real file into memory to read it there.  The missing functions
(strlcat, strlcpy, strsep) I've worked around with autoconf, the rest
looks all like basic POSIX stuff.

So I suppose if this looks okay I will start trying to work out how we can
use this for PostgreSQL.

Re: BSD gettext

От
Rick Robino
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> http://www.postgresql.org/~petere/gettext.html
>
> This is a compilation of the BSD-licensed gettext tools from NetBSD plus
> some of my own code, put into a (hopefully) portable package, intended to
> be evaluated for possible use in PostgreSQL.  Give it a try if you're
> interested.  I've already tried it on FreeBSD, Linux, and Unixware, so
> don't bother with those.

# uname -a
SunOS mage 5.8 Generic_108528-06 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
# pwd
/usr/local/src/3/bsd-gettext-0.0
# gmake install >/dev/null 2>&1
# echo $?
0
# LANGUAGE=sv /usr/local/bin/gettext
/usr/local/bin/gettext: argument saknas
#

--

Rick Robino                                 v. (503) 891-9283
Wave Division Consulting                    @. wavedivision.com

Re: BSD gettext

От
Alessio Bragadini
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> This is a compilation of the BSD-licensed gettext tools from NetBSD plus
> some of my own code, put into a (hopefully) portable package, intended to
> be evaluated for possible use in PostgreSQL.  Give it a try if you're
> interested.  I've already tried it on FreeBSD, Linux, and Unixware, so
> don't bother with those.
I tried on Digital Unix 4.0f, using Digital cc:

Making all in gettext
make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/bsd-gettext-0.0/gettext'
cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..
-DLOCALEDIR=\"/tmp/gettext/share/locale\" -I ../libintl   -g -c
gettext-main.c
cc: Severe: ../config.h, line 36: Cannot find file <unistd.h> specified
in #include directive. (noinclfilef)
#include <unistd.h>
-^
make[2]: *** [gettext-main.o] Error 1

Using gcc it breaks when linking against snprintf (this can be worked
around)

Hope it helps.

--
Alessio F. Bragadini        alessio@albourne.com
APL Financial Services        http://village.albourne.com

"It is more complicated than you think"    -- The Eighth Networking Truth from RFC 1925

Re: Re: BSD gettext

От
pgsql-hackers@thewrittenword.com
Дата:
On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 10:55:35AM +0300, Alessio Bragadini wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > This is a compilation of the BSD-licensed gettext tools from NetBSD plus
> > some of my own code, put into a (hopefully) portable package, intended to
> > be evaluated for possible use in PostgreSQL.  Give it a try if you're
> > interested.  I've already tried it on FreeBSD, Linux, and Unixware, so
> > don't bother with those.
>
> I tried on Digital Unix 4.0f, using Digital cc:
>
> Making all in gettext
> make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/bsd-gettext-0.0/gettext'
> cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..
> -DLOCALEDIR=\"/tmp/gettext/share/locale\" -I ../libintl   -g -c
> gettext-main.c
> cc: Severe: ../config.h, line 36: Cannot find file <unistd.h> specified
> in #include directive. (noinclfilef)
> #include <unistd.h>
> -^
> make[2]: *** [gettext-main.o] Error 1

Make sure you have no spaces after -I on Tru64 UNIX.

--
albert chin (china@thewrittenword.com)

Re: BSD gettext

От
Alessio Bragadini
Дата:
pgsql-hackers@thewrittenword.com wrote:

> Make sure you have no spaces after -I on Tru64 UNIX.

That was it, thanks. Sent a micro-patch to Peter.

--
Alessio F. Bragadini        alessio@albourne.com
APL Financial Services        http://village.albourne.com
Nicosia, Cyprus             phone: +357-2-755750

"It is more complicated than you think"    -- The Eighth Networking Truth from RFC 1925

Re: BSD gettext

Дата:
> This is a compilation of the BSD-licensed gettext tools from NetBSD plus
> some of my own code, put into a (hopefully) portable package, intended to
> be evaluated for possible use in PostgreSQL.  Give it a try if you're
> interested.

On HPUX 10.20:

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/tgl/pgsql/bsd-gettext-0.0/libintl'
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..     -g -O2 -c gettext.c
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -g -O2 -c gettext.c -o gettext.o
gettext.c: In function `mapit':
gettext.c:313: `MAP_FAILED' undeclared (first use in this function)
gettext.c:313: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
gettext.c:313: for each function it appears in.)
gettext.c: In function `unmapit':
gettext.c:442: `MAP_FAILED' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[2]: *** [gettext.lo] Error 1

The HPUX man page for mmap documents its failure return value as "-1",
so I hacked around this with

#ifndef MAP_FAILED
#define MAP_FAILED ((void *) (-1))
#endif

whereupon it built and passed the simple self-test you suggested.
However, I think it's pretty foolish to depend on mmap for such
little reason as this code does.  I suggest ripping out the mmap
usage and just reading the file with good old read(2).
        regards, tom lane

Re: BSD gettext

Дата:
> The HPUX man page for mmap documents its failure return value as "-1",
> so I hacked around this with
>
> #ifndef MAP_FAILED
> #define MAP_FAILED ((void *) (-1))
> #endif
>
> whereupon it built and passed the simple self-test you suggested.
> However, I think it's pretty foolish to depend on mmap for such
> little reason as this code does.  I suggest ripping out the mmap
> usage and just reading the file with good old read(2).

Agreed.  Let read() use mmap() internally if it wants to.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: BSD gettext

От
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane writes:

> However, I think it's pretty foolish to depend on mmap for such
> little reason as this code does.  I suggest ripping out the mmap
> usage and just reading the file with good old read(2).

I'm prepared to do that if mmap doesn't work for someone, but I'm not
eager to fork the code without proven breakage.

Re: BSD gettext

От
ncm@zembu.com (Nathan Myers)
Дата:
On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 10:30:01AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > The HPUX man page for mmap documents its failure return value as "-1",
> > so I hacked around this with
> >
> > #ifndef MAP_FAILED
> > #define MAP_FAILED ((void *) (-1))
> > #endif
> >
> > whereupon it built and passed the simple self-test you suggested.
> > However, I think it's pretty foolish to depend on mmap for such
> > little reason as this code does.  I suggest ripping out the mmap
> > usage and just reading the file with good old read(2).
>
> Agreed.  Let read() use mmap() internally if it wants to.

The reason mmap() is faster than read() is that it can avoid copying
data to the place you specify.  read() can "use mmap() internally" only
in cases rare enough to hardly be worth checking for.

Stdio is often able to use mmap() internally for parsing, and in
glibc-2.x (and, I think, on recent Solarix and BSDs) it does.  Usually,
therefore, it would be better to use stdio functions (except fread()!)
in place of read(), where possible, to allow this optimization.

Using mmap() in place of disk read() almost always results in enough
performance improvement to make doing so worth a lot of disruption.
Today mmap() is used heavily enough, in important programs, that
worries about unreliability are no better founded than worries about
read().

Nathan Myers
ncm@zembu.com