Обсуждение: inheritance question 2/ref integrity

inheritance question 2/ref integrity

От
Alex Pilosov
Дата:
Can I do  following?

create table foo (
x int4 references bar*
)

Or, since 7.1 will have bar* as default for bar, will using 'references
bar' do what I want?

-alex

Re: inheritance question 2/ref integrity

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Sat, 7 Oct 2000, Alex Pilosov wrote:

> Can I do  following?
>
> create table foo (
> x int4 references bar*
> )
>
> Or, since 7.1 will have bar* as default for bar, will using 'references
> bar' do what I want?

No, and not really.  Parts of it may sort of work, but referential
actions will definately fail (this includes the default no action)
because I don't believe triggers inherit in an automatic fashion.

Also, at least under 7.0 and earlier, constraints don't inherit and
they would have to for the above to be meaningful (the values in bar*'s
primary key have to be unique through all of the inheritance tree or
most of the references stuff simply doesn't work right).

Re: inheritance question 2/ref integrity

От
Chris
Дата:
The referential integrity doesn't work properly with inheritance I
think. It would be nice if it was fixed to work with inheritance but
that would probably also need inheritable indexes to work (?? I don't
know how much ref integrity relies on having an index in place).

--
Chris Bitmead
mailto:chris@bitmead.com