Обсуждение: geographic coordinate types?

geographic coordinate types?

От
Brook Milligan
Дата:
Is anyone working on a set of types and transformations suitable for
geographic coordinates, e.g., to use in mapping or GIS applications?
Do there exist any such types already?  Note that I'm familiar with
the "normal" geometry types, but these are not really suitable for
"real" mapping/GIS applications.

Thanks for any pointers.

Cheers,
Brook

Re: geographic coordinate types?

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
For example?  We use the point type for doing long/lat coordinates, and
for calculating distance between  places on one of our projects ... but I
take it you are thinking of something more elaborate then that?

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: geographic coordinate types?

От
Jeff Hoffmann
Дата:
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> For example?  We use the point type for doing long/lat coordinates, and
> for calculating distance between  places on one of our projects ... but I
> take it you are thinking of something more elaborate then that?

i got the impression that the "real" mapping types includes
transformation functions -- i.e., we have data in both state plane and
lat/long (UTM) and they need to play nice together.  some more details
would be nice -- there are free packages out there to do the
transformation at the application level (search for PROJ and gctpc for a
couple of pointers), but nobody i know of has needed anything like that
enough to actually put it in the database itself.  i think it would be
interesting to put out there exactly what you need to see what isn't
there, what can be worked around, what would be a good target for future
development, etc.   i've had a few "wouldn't it be nice thoughts" about
similar things, but it's always been easier to workaround because as far
as i can tell there's not a whole lot of interest in those features.

--

Jeff Hoffmann
PropertyKey.com

Re: geographic coordinate types?

От
Brook Milligan
Дата:
For example?  We use the point type for doing long/lat coordinates, and  for calculating distance between  places on
oneof our projects ... but I  take it you are thinking of something more elaborate then that?

Yes.  I was thinking of a 3D coordinate system and the various
transformations needed to span the globe, take into account
measurement errors, etc.

Cheers,
Brook

Re: geographic coordinate types?

От
"Timothy H. Keitt"
Дата:
There is a group working on a GIS front end to PostgreSQL over at:
http://fmaps.sourceforge.net/

Also, take a look at:
http://www.ossim.org/

More information can be found at:
http://freegis.org/

T.

--
Timothy H. Keitt
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis

Re: geographic coordinate types?

От
"Timothy H. Keitt"
Дата:
It would be quite easy to add functions for projecting into different
coordinate systems using PROJ.4.  The problem is how do you keep track
of the metadata?  The projections take parameters (prime meridian, etc.)
and so it would be up to the user to keep track of which projection they
are using.  (Otherwise you have to define a new data type for all
projection/parameter combinations which doesn't make much sense.)

AFAICT, most GIS programs simply project into a cartesian projection and
then use standard euclidean geometry for queries, i.e., exactly what is
currently supported in postgres (at least in 2D).  For small scale work,
that's probably sufficient.  However, linearity of the coordinate system
will not hold at larger scales.

At any rate, it would be very nice to have a geographic coordinate type
in postgres.  Once the meaning of certain predicates (greater than,
contains, etc.) are defined, these can be indexed as well.  Add in the
aforementioned projection code and you have a reasonable start on a GIS.

Tim