Обсуждение: fail in installing postgresql-6.5.3 to FreeBSD

fail in installing postgresql-6.5.3 to FreeBSD

От
"Shen Jianxiang(Outlook)"
Дата:
Hello,

I tried to install postgresql-6.5.3 through ports to FreeBSD-3.4,
but couldn't be successful.
It stopped like below. It was the same error when I tried to install postgresql-6.5.2.

Could anyone give me any advices? Thank you very much in advance.

--------------------------------------------------begin----------------------------------
---------------------------
#make install
gmake[3]: Entering directory
`/usr/ports/databases/postgresql/work/postgresql-6.5.3/src/pl/plpgsql/s
rc'
/usr/bin/install -c -o root -g wheel -m 644 libplpgsql.so.1
/usr/local/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so
gmake[3]: Leaving directory
`/usr/ports/databases/postgresql/work/postgresql-6.5.3/src/pl/plpgsql/sr
c'
gmake[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/ports/databases/postgresql/work/postgresql-6.5.3/src/pl/plpgsql'
gmake[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/ports/databases/postgresql/work/postgresql-6.5.3/src/pl'
cat ../register.txt

(1999-10-13)
PostgreSQL has a Web site at http://www.postgresql.org/ which carries details
on the latest release, upcoming features, and other information to make your
work or play with PostgreSQL more productive.

Please check the following URL for a listing of the current user-support
mailing lists:

All of the mailing lists are currently archived and viewable at:

And, so that we have an idea of who is using what, please connect to the
following registration URL:
       http://www.postgresql.org -> Helping Us -> Survey/Register

Thank you for choosing PostgreSQL, the most advanced open source database
engine.

gmake -C man install
gmake[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/ports/databases/postgresql/work/postgresql-6.5.3/src/man'
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/man
mkdir: /usr/local/pgsql/man: File exists
gmake[1]: [install] Error 1 (ignored)
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/man/man1
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/man/man3
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/man/man5
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/man/manl
cp *.1* /usr/local/pgsql/man/man1
cp *.3* /usr/local/pgsql/man/man3
cp *.5* /usr/local/pgsql/man/man5
cp *.l* /usr/local/pgsql/man/manl
gmake[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/ports/databases/postgresql/work/postgresql-6.5.3/src/man'
===>   Generating temporary packing list
Initializing PostgreSQL Databases - this may take a few minutes...
Unknown option: `-l'
Usage: su [ -bcdefilmnqstvVxX ] [ argument ... ].
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

---------------------end---------------------------------------

------------------------//~----------
Best Regards,
Shen Jianxiang
shen@nsk.nis.nec.co.jp
NEC Informatec Systems Ltd.
Network Service Platform Division
----------------------------------^-^

Re: fail in installing postgresql-6.5.3 to FreeBSD

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
do the postgresql7 port ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: fail in installing postgresql-6.5.3 to FreeBSD

>> ===>   Generating temporary packing list
>> Initializing PostgreSQL Databases - this may take a few minutes...
>> Unknown option: `-l'
>> Usage: su [ -bcdefilmnqstvVxX ] [ argument ... ].
>> *** Error code 1

I don't know what these messages are from, but they sure are not from
any code that's executed by the standard Postgres install sequence.
Postgres does not invoke su, ever.

My guess is you are trying to use some sort of platform-specific
installation script (an RPM or something like one) with the wrong kind
of platform.  Try getting an unmodified Postgres tarball and installing
it per our instructions, instead.  (While you're at it, I recommend
using 7.0.2, not 6.5.anything...)

            regards, tom lane

Re: fail in installing postgresql-6.5.3 to FreeBSD

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> >> ===>   Generating temporary packing list
> >> Initializing PostgreSQL Databases - this may take a few minutes...
> >> Unknown option: `-l'
> >> Usage: su [ -bcdefilmnqstvVxX ] [ argument ... ].
> >> *** Error code 1
>
> I don't know what these messages are from, but they sure are not from
> any code that's executed by the standard Postgres install sequence.
> Postgres does not invoke su, ever.

he's trying to install it out of ports under FreeBSD ... the install runs
as root, but does a 'su' to the postgres  user to do the initdb ... my
only major guess is that his ports are out of sync with his operating
system ...

RE: fail in installing postgresql-6.5.3 to FreeBSD

От
"Shen Jianxiang(Outlook)"
Дата:
Thanks for your replies.

Yes, I tried to install PostgreSQL to FreeBSD using port, as 'root'.
As your recomend, I tried to use port postgresql7, but I was stopped
at the same error message.
May I run 'su  [-bcdefilmnqstvVxX ] [ argument ... ]' at command line?

Thank you.

::>> >> ===>   Generating temporary packing list
::>> >> Initializing PostgreSQL Databases - this may take a
::>few minutes...
::>> >> Unknown option: `-l'
::>> >> Usage: su [ -bcdefilmnqstvVxX ] [ argument ... ].
::>> >> *** Error code 1
::>>
::>> I don't know what these messages are from, but they sure
::>are not from
::>> any code that's executed by the standard Postgres
::>install sequence.
::>> Postgres does not invoke su, ever.
::>
::>he's trying to install it out of ports under FreeBSD ...
::>the install runs
::>as root, but does a 'su' to the postgres  user to do the
::>initdb ... my
::>only major guess is that his ports are out of sync with
::>his operating
::>system ...
::>
------------------------//~----------
Best Regards,
Shen Jianxiang
shen@nsk.nis.nec.co.jp
NEC Informatec Systems Ltd.
Network Service Platform Division
----------------------------------^-^

RE: fail in installing postgresql-6.5.3 to FreeBSD

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Shen Jianxiang(Outlook) wrote:

> Thanks for your replies.
>
> Yes, I tried to install PostgreSQL to FreeBSD using port, as 'root'.
> As your recomend, I tried to use port postgresql7, but I was stopped
> at the same error message.
> May I run 'su  [-bcdefilmnqstvVxX ] [ argument ... ]' at command line?

do a 'which su'?  are you, but some odd chance, running a non-FreeBSD su?

> Thank you.

Дата:
::>> Yes, I tried to install PostgreSQL to FreeBSD using
::>port, as 'root'.
::>> As your recomend, I tried to use port postgresql7, but I
::>was stopped
::>> at the same error message.
::>> May I run 'su  [-bcdefilmnqstvVxX ] [ argument ... ]' at
::>command line?
::>
::>do a 'which su'?  are you, but some odd chance, running a
::>non-FreeBSD su?
::>
::>
I am not sure I understand what's your meaning...
When I install I have to login as 'root'. I don't know how can I
become a "FreeBSD su".