Обсуждение: ECPG / Release

ECPG / Release

От
Michael Meskes
Дата:
When will we release 7.0? I just checked and found that I'm way behind my
schedule. The parser is in sync, but there are quite some open bugs. So
hopefully there is either enough time left or someone who would like to
spend some time on fixing bugs. :-)

Michael
Email: Michael@Fam-Meskes.De           | Use PostgreSQL!

Splitting distributions (Was: Re: [HACKERS] ECPG / Release)

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Michael Meskes wrote:

> When will we release 7.0? I just checked and found that I'm way behind my
> schedule. The parser is in sync, but there are quite some open bugs. So
> hopefully there is either enough time left or someone who would like to
> spend some time on fixing bugs. :-)

April 1st is what I announced, but I'll be shocked if that actually
happens :)  You should have loads of time ...

As far as I'm concerned, stuff like ECPG and JDBC and ODBC are changeable
pretty much up to the release date ... they are generally touched, and
modified by only one person ...

One of the things I'd like to look at for 7.1 is start to split off the
distributions ... we're up to a 7meg distribution and growing ...

We should be able to do a pgsql-docs.tar.gz and pgsql-src.tar.gz at the
very least ... putting 'doc' in a seperate tar file would reduce the size
by ~3meg:

total 3024
-rw-r--r--   1 scrappy  wheel  2969424 Feb 22 15:27 doc.tar.gz

Actually, is there a reason we can't do this now?  I can change the 'tar
build' system so that we have split systems that way ... this would at
least safe testers from downloading 3meg worth of tar file that most
likely won't get touched often ...

I'm going to do this tonight, put it up and see what ppl thing ... if
nothing else, it makes it easier for ppl to download smaller chunks ...

Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC
Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Splitting distributions (Was: Re: [HACKERS] ECPG / Release)

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> We should be able to do a pgsql-docs.tar.gz and pgsql-src.tar.gz at the
> very least ... putting 'doc' in a seperate tar file would reduce the size
> by ~3meg:
[snip]
> I'm going to do this tonight, put it up and see what ppl thing ... if
> nothing else, it makes it easier for ppl to download smaller chunks ...

Kindof like how the RPM distribution is split, but not as fine, right?

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: Splitting distributions (Was: Re: [HACKERS] ECPG / Release)

Дата:
> One of the things I'd like to look at for 7.1 is start to split off the
> distributions ... we're up to a 7meg distribution and growing ...
>
> We should be able to do a pgsql-docs.tar.gz and pgsql-src.tar.gz at the
> very least ... putting 'doc' in a seperate tar file would reduce the size
> by ~3meg:
>
> total 3024
> -rw-r--r--   1 scrappy  wheel  2969424 Feb 22 15:27 doc.tar.gz
>
> Actually, is there a reason we can't do this now?  I can change the 'tar
> build' system so that we have split systems that way ... this would at
> least safe testers from downloading 3meg worth of tar file that most
> likely won't get touched often ...
>
> I'm going to do this tonight, put it up and see what ppl thing ... if
> nothing else, it makes it easier for ppl to download smaller chunks ...

Seems like a good idea.  Only RPM packages would have to know of the
split.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Splitting distributions (Was: Re: [HACKERS] ECPG / Release)

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Lamar Owen wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > We should be able to do a pgsql-docs.tar.gz and pgsql-src.tar.gz at the
> > very least ... putting 'doc' in a seperate tar file would reduce the size
> > by ~3meg:
> [snip]
> > I'm going to do this tonight, put it up and see what ppl thing ... if
> > nothing else, it makes it easier for ppl to download smaller chunks ...
>
> Kindof like how the RPM distribution is split, but not as fine, right?

Pretty much ... longer term goal, IMHO, is to make a more compact
distribution so that if I want libpq on a clint machine, I don't have to
download the whole backend code too ...

But, for now, I'm just creating simple .tar.gz files that all have to be
downloaded, but, for instance, for those with slow links, they don't have
to hope all 7meg gets down ... they can download smaller files.

I'm creating them right now, broken down as:

docs -> pgsql/docs
test -> pgsql/src/test
support -> pgsql/src/{interfaces,bin}
base -> pgsql (minus the above)

Basically, it makes this:

-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  wheel  7543517 Feb 22 16:04 postgresql.snapshot.tar.gz

Download as:

-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  wheel  2261079 Feb 22 16:06 postgresql.snapshot.base.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  wheel  2973217 Feb 22 16:04 postgresql.snapshot.docs.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  wheel  1318456 Feb 22 16:06 postgresql.snapshot.support.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  wheel   987847 Feb 22 16:05 postgresql.snapshot.test.tar.gz

I've just split the 7.0beta1.tar.gz file up also:

-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql    wheel  7533458 Feb 21 18:34 postgresql-7.0beta1.tar.gz

-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql    wheel  2260487 Feb 22 16:14 postgresql-7.0beta1.base.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql    wheel  1310901 Feb 22 16:14 postgresql-7.0beta1.support.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql    wheel   987270 Feb 22 16:13 postgresql-7.0beta1.test.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql    wheel  2973182 Feb 22 16:13 postgresql-7.0beta1.docs.tar.gz

Vince, can you put something on the Web page showing the 'split' files as
well, so that ppl know they exist and can download those ones instead?

Re: Splitting distributions (Was: Re: [HACKERS] ECPG / Release)

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > One of the things I'd like to look at for 7.1 is start to split off the
> > distributions ... we're up to a 7meg distribution and growing ...
> >
> > We should be able to do a pgsql-docs.tar.gz and pgsql-src.tar.gz at the
> > very least ... putting 'doc' in a seperate tar file would reduce the size
> > by ~3meg:
> >
> > total 3024
> > -rw-r--r--   1 scrappy  wheel  2969424 Feb 22 15:27 doc.tar.gz
> >
> > Actually, is there a reason we can't do this now?  I can change the 'tar
> > build' system so that we have split systems that way ... this would at
> > least safe testers from downloading 3meg worth of tar file that most
> > likely won't get touched often ...
> >
> > I'm going to do this tonight, put it up and see what ppl thing ... if
> > nothing else, it makes it easier for ppl to download smaller chunks ...
>
> Seems like a good idea.  Only RPM packages would have to know of the
> split.

Huh? *raised eyebrow*

Re: Splitting distributions (Was: Re: [HACKERS] ECPG / Release)

Дата:
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> I'm creating them right now, broken down as:

> docs -> pgsql/docs
> test -> pgsql/src/test
> support -> pgsql/src/{interfaces,bin}
> base -> pgsql (minus the above)

One gripe on this --- the docs are sort-of optional, and the test stuff
is certainly optional, but the interfaces and bin directories are *not*
optional.  It'd be a good idea to make sure this is noted on the webpage
or in the FTP directory's README file...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Splitting distributions (Was: Re: [HACKERS] ECPG / Release)

Дата:
Keep in mind psql needs the doc/src/sgml files for psql help.

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Lamar Owen wrote:
>
> > The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > > We should be able to do a pgsql-docs.tar.gz and pgsql-src.tar.gz at the
> > > very least ... putting 'doc' in a seperate tar file would reduce the size
> > > by ~3meg:
> > [snip]
> > > I'm going to do this tonight, put it up and see what ppl thing ... if
> > > nothing else, it makes it easier for ppl to download smaller chunks ...
> >
> > Kindof like how the RPM distribution is split, but not as fine, right?
>
> Pretty much ... longer term goal, IMHO, is to make a more compact
> distribution so that if I want libpq on a clint machine, I don't have to
> download the whole backend code too ...
>
> But, for now, I'm just creating simple .tar.gz files that all have to be
> downloaded, but, for instance, for those with slow links, they don't have
> to hope all 7meg gets down ... they can download smaller files.
>
> I'm creating them right now, broken down as:
>
> docs -> pgsql/docs
> test -> pgsql/src/test
> support -> pgsql/src/{interfaces,bin}
> base -> pgsql (minus the above)
>
> Basically, it makes this:
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  wheel  7543517 Feb 22 16:04 postgresql.snapshot.tar.gz
>
> Download as:
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  wheel  2261079 Feb 22 16:06 postgresql.snapshot.base.tar.gz
> -rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  wheel  2973217 Feb 22 16:04 postgresql.snapshot.docs.tar.gz
> -rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  wheel  1318456 Feb 22 16:06 postgresql.snapshot.support.tar.gz
> -rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  wheel   987847 Feb 22 16:05 postgresql.snapshot.test.tar.gz
>
> I've just split the 7.0beta1.tar.gz file up also:
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 pgsql    wheel  7533458 Feb 21 18:34 postgresql-7.0beta1.tar.gz
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 pgsql    wheel  2260487 Feb 22 16:14 postgresql-7.0beta1.base.tar.gz
> -rw-r--r--  1 pgsql    wheel  1310901 Feb 22 16:14 postgresql-7.0beta1.support.tar.gz
> -rw-r--r--  1 pgsql    wheel   987270 Feb 22 16:13 postgresql-7.0beta1.test.tar.gz
> -rw-r--r--  1 pgsql    wheel  2973182 Feb 22 16:13 postgresql-7.0beta1.docs.tar.gz
>
> Vince, can you put something on the Web page showing the 'split' files as
> well, so that ppl know they exist and can download those ones instead?
>

> ************

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Splitting distributions (Was: Re: [HACKERS] ECPG / Release)

Дата:
> > > I'm going to do this tonight, put it up and see what ppl thing ... if
> > > nothing else, it makes it easier for ppl to download smaller chunks ...
> >
> > Seems like a good idea.  Only RPM packages would have to know of the
> > split.
>
> Huh? *raised eyebrow*

Don't RPM's have to know to download two tarballs?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Splitting distributions (Was: Re: [HACKERS] ECPG / Release)

Дата:
> The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> > I'm creating them right now, broken down as:
>
> > docs -> pgsql/docs
> > test -> pgsql/src/test
> > support -> pgsql/src/{interfaces,bin}
> > base -> pgsql (minus the above)
>
> One gripe on this --- the docs are sort-of optional, and the test stuff
> is certainly optional, but the interfaces and bin directories are *not*
> optional.  It'd be a good idea to make sure this is noted on the webpage
> or in the FTP directory's README file...

psql needs the sgml files for help, so none are optional, I think.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Splitting distributions (Was: Re: [HACKERS] ECPG / Release)

Дата:
>> One gripe on this --- the docs are sort-of optional, and the test stuff
>> is certainly optional, but the interfaces and bin directories are *not*
>> optional.  It'd be a good idea to make sure this is noted on the webpage
>> or in the FTP directory's README file...

> psql needs the sgml files for help, so none are optional, I think.

But the tarball has a prebuilt psql help file, or should.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Splitting distributions (Was: Re: [HACKERS] ECPG / Release)

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Seems like a good idea.  Only RPM packages would have to know of the
> > > split.
> >
> > Huh? *raised eyebrow*
>
> Don't RPM's have to know to download two tarballs?

Or three, or ten..... In the case of our RPM's, there are eight source
files needed.  Not a big deal, though.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: Splitting distributions (Was: Re: [HACKERS] ECPG / Release)

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> > I'm creating them right now, broken down as:
>
> > docs -> pgsql/docs
> > test -> pgsql/src/test
> > support -> pgsql/src/{interfaces,bin}
> > base -> pgsql (minus the above)
>
> One gripe on this --- the docs are sort-of optional, and the test stuff
> is certainly optional, but the interfaces and bin directories are *not*
> optional.  It'd be a good idea to make sure this is noted on the webpage
> or in the FTP directory's README file...

Already done...see README.dist-split :)  As I note in that file, all
chunks have to be downloaded, since I didn't want to differentiate at this
time between what is optional and what isn't.  The purpose, for v7.0, was
just to make it 4 smaller tar files then one large one ... for v7.1, I'd
like to work on cleaning up the 'optional' stuff ...

Re: Splitting distributions (Was: Re: [HACKERS] ECPG / Release)

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:

> > > Seems like a good idea.  Only RPM packages would have to know of the
> > > split.
> >
> > Huh? *raised eyebrow*
>
> Don't RPM's have to know to download two tarballs?

the RPMs are totally seperate tarballs ... unrelated to this ... about the
only thing that would/could be affected is the FreeBSD ports collection,
but I'm still making the 'all-inclusive tar ball', so if ppl have a high
speed connection and want to download it all at once, they can ... just
increasing the options

Re: Splitting distributions (Was: Re: [HACKERS] ECPG / Release)

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> > > I'm creating them right now, broken down as:
> >
> > > docs -> pgsql/docs
> > > test -> pgsql/src/test
> > > support -> pgsql/src/{interfaces,bin}
> > > base -> pgsql (minus the above)
> >
> > One gripe on this --- the docs are sort-of optional, and the test stuff
> > is certainly optional, but the interfaces and bin directories are *not*
> > optional.  It'd be a good idea to make sure this is noted on the webpage
> > or in the FTP directory's README file...
>
> psql needs the sgml files for help, so none are optional, I think.

Technically, there should be a way of buildling a release distribution
that can build psql without requiring anything but libpq being installed
... its stuff I'm currently looking into ... but not for v7.0 ...

Re: Splitting distributions (Was: Re: [HACKERS] ECPG / Release)

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On 22-Feb-00 The Hermit Hacker wrote:

>> > Huh? *raised eyebrow*
>>
>> Don't RPM's have to know to download two tarballs?
>
> the RPMs are totally seperate tarballs ... unrelated to this ... about the
> only thing that would/could be affected is the FreeBSD ports collection,

Speaking of which, I sent a note back to Andreas about that.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net  128K ISDN: $24.95/mo or less - 56K Dialup:
$17.95/moor less at Pop4       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop
Superstore   http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: Splitting distributions (Was: Re: [HACKERS] ECPG / Release)

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2000-02-22, The Hermit Hacker mentioned:

> Pretty much ... longer term goal, IMHO, is to make a more compact
> distribution so that if I want libpq on a clint machine, I don't have to
> download the whole backend code too ...

Unfortunately there are currently some severe bogosities in the build
process that will prevent this. Certain subdirectories reach half way
across the source tree to get the stuff they need. I've thrown several
hints around in this direction, I would like to give the build process a
serious massage for the next release. This item would be considered.

Re: Splitting distributions (Was: Re: [HACKERS] ECPG / Release)

Дата:
Ooh, good point. Never mind.

> >> One gripe on this --- the docs are sort-of optional, and the test stuff
> >> is certainly optional, but the interfaces and bin directories are *not*
> >> optional.  It'd be a good idea to make sure this is noted on the webpage
> >> or in the FTP directory's README file...
>
> > psql needs the sgml files for help, so none are optional, I think.
>
> But the tarball has a prebuilt psql help file, or should.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Pennsylvania19026