Обсуждение: Status on Jan Wieck

Status on Jan Wieck

Дата:
I know people were wondering about Jan, so I just talked to him via
e-mail, and he has been busy on a big project.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Status on Jan Wieck

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I know people were wondering about Jan, so I just talked to him via
> e-mail, and he has been busy on a big project.

Is he going to implement RI for 6.6?

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] Status on Jan Wieck

Дата:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > I know people were wondering about Jan, so I just talked to him via
> > e-mail, and he has been busy on a big project.
>
> Is he going to implement RI for 6.6?

OK, let's CC him with the question.  Jan, can you do referential
integrity for 6.6?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Status on Jan Wieck

Дата:
> I know people were wondering about Jan, so I just talked to him via
> e-mail, and he has been busy on a big project.

Good ... I was starting to fear he'd been run over by a truck or
something :-(

Does he have any idea when/if he'll return to Postgres hacking?
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Status on Jan Wieck

Дата:
> Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
> > I know people were wondering about Jan, so I just talked to him via
> > e-mail, and he has been busy on a big project.
>
> Good ... I was starting to fear he'd been run over by a truck or
> something :-(

Yep.  He says "don't worry".

> Does he have any idea when/if he'll return to Postgres hacking?

I didn't have the heart to ask him.  I just hit him with the referential
integrity question.  Let's see what he says.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Status on Jan Wieck

Дата:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > I know people were wondering about Jan, so I just talked to him via
> > e-mail, and he has been busy on a big project.
>
> Is he going to implement RI for 6.6?

Jan, you know we miss you when you have your own subject thread on the
hackers list.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Status on Jan Wieck

Дата:
> Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
> > I know people were wondering about Jan, so I just talked to him via
> > e-mail, and he has been busy on a big project.
>
> Good ... I was starting to fear he'd been run over by a truck or
> something :-(
>
> Does he have any idea when/if he'll return to Postgres hacking?

That brings up another issue.

Why do people think programmers are throwing themselves in front of
trucks?  Any idea?  I hear it often.

jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > I know people were wondering about Jan, so I just talked to him via
> > e-mail, and he has been busy on a big project.
>
> Is he going to implement RI for 6.6?

    Depends on WHEN 6.6 is planned to go into feature-freeze.

Jan

Jan Wieck wrote:

> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > >
> > > I know people were wondering about Jan, so I just talked to him via
> > > e-mail, and he has been busy on a big project.
> >
> > Is he going to implement RI for 6.6?
>
>     Depends on WHEN 6.6 is planned to go into feature-freeze.

Well, I believe that we have at least 3 months before 1st beta.
We need in DIRTY READs for RI and I'll implement them.
If you'll not be able to do RI itself then we might
change refint.c to use DIRTY READs and so avoid LOCK TABLE
on application level (i.e. restore pre-6.5 refint.c using).

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] Status on Jan Wieck

> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > >
> > > I know people were wondering about Jan, so I just talked to him via
> > > e-mail, and he has been busy on a big project.
> >
> > Is he going to implement RI for 6.6?
>
>     Depends on WHEN 6.6 is planned to go into feature-freeze.

You tell us...  We clearly could wait if you have some idea on a
timeframe.  There has been no talk of a 6.6 release schedule yet.  Vadim
is still working on logging, and Tom Lane is working too.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Status on Jan Wieck

Дата:
> >     Depends on WHEN 6.6 is planned to go into feature-freeze.
>
> Well, I believe that we have at least 3 months before 1st beta.
> We need in DIRTY READs for RI and I'll implement them.
> If you'll not be able to do RI itself then we might
> change refint.c to use DIRTY READs and so avoid LOCK TABLE
> on application level (i.e. restore pre-6.5 refint.c using).

Yikes.  Three months.  That puts us at release in mid-January.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Status on Jan Wieck

От
Peter Mount
Дата:
On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Is he going to implement RI for 6.6?
> >
> >     Depends on WHEN 6.6 is planned to go into feature-freeze.
>
> You tell us...  We clearly could wait if you have some idea on a
> timeframe.  There has been no talk of a 6.6 release schedule yet.  Vadim
> is still working on logging, and Tom Lane is working too.

I want to get as much of the JDBC api done for 6.6 as well, so I think
there is going to be a lot of new stuff in it.

Peter

--      Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk     Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Faq: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgresJava PDF Generator: http://www.retep.org.uk/pdf

Re: [HACKERS] Status on Jan Wieck

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Jan Wieck wrote:

> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > >
> > > I know people were wondering about Jan, so I just talked to him via
> > > e-mail, and he has been busy on a big project.
> >
> > Is he going to implement RI for 6.6?
>
>     Depends on WHEN 6.6 is planned to go into feature-freeze.

After you implement RI? :)  Since we've gone the -STABLE branch
fixes/releases route, 6.6 is less of a panic, so if you have some sort of
a timeline for this, its *very* easy to work around it :)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Status on Jan Wieck

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
> > > I know people were wondering about Jan, so I just talked to him via
> > > e-mail, and he has been busy on a big project.
> >
> > Good ... I was starting to fear he'd been run over by a truck or
> > something :-(
> >
> > Does he have any idea when/if he'll return to Postgres hacking?
>
> That brings up another issue.
>
> Why do people think programmers are throwing themselves in front of
> trucks?  Any idea?  I hear it often.

Few of us get the window office on a high enough floor to jump? :)  Those
are reserved for the accountants and stock brokers :)

wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)

> Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
> > I know people were wondering about Jan, so I just talked to him via
> > e-mail, and he has been busy on a big project.
>
> Good ... I was starting to fear he'd been run over by a truck or
> something :-(
>
> Does he have any idea when/if he'll return to Postgres hacking?

    As  soon  as I see the light at the end of the tunnel (and am
    sure that it's not the coming train). I think  it  will  take
    another two or three weeks.

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] Status on Jan Wieck

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)

> > Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
> > > I know people were wondering about Jan, so I just talked to him via
> > > e-mail, and he has been busy on a big project.
> >
> > Good ... I was starting to fear he'd been run over by a truck or
> > something :-(
> >
> > Does he have any idea when/if he'll return to Postgres hacking?
>
> That brings up another issue.
>
> Why do people think programmers are throwing themselves in front of
> trucks?  Any idea?  I hear it often.

    Maybe   because  it's  one  of  the  most  failsafe  methods?
    Additionally the risk for the truck driver isn't as  high  as
    it  would be for the driver of an A-Class (besides that an A-
    Class driver would treat the whole think like an  elk-test  -
    and we all know what the result of that is :-).

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] Status on Jan Wieck

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)

> > >     Depends on WHEN 6.6 is planned to go into feature-freeze.
> >
> > Well, I believe that we have at least 3 months before 1st beta.
> > We need in DIRTY READs for RI and I'll implement them.
> > If you'll not be able to do RI itself then we might
> > change refint.c to use DIRTY READs and so avoid LOCK TABLE
> > on application level (i.e. restore pre-6.5 refint.c using).
>
> Yikes.  Three months.  That puts us at release in mid-January.

    Three  months  - sounds fine. I just posted another few ideas
    on the issue. After rereading it, I'm sure now that doing  RI
    with  the  rulesystem  would  open  a  horrible can of worms.
    Especially in the case a trigger procedure is using  a  query
    which in turn triggers a deferred rule.

    Each  trigger  invocation  (maybe for thousands of rows) will
    execute it's own queries, resulting in a  separate  parsetree
    for the deferred actions.  Where to hold them? Parsetrees can
    be huge!

    I'm sure now that remembering the CTID's of the  tuples  that
    must get reread to fire the trigger is the smaller problem.

    I  need a little break in my current project - thus I'll take
    a look at it NOW!

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] Status on Jan Wieck

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Jan Wieck wrote:

> > Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
> > > I know people were wondering about Jan, so I just talked to him via
> > > e-mail, and he has been busy on a big project.
> >
> > Good ... I was starting to fear he'd been run over by a truck or
> > something :-(
> >
> > Does he have any idea when/if he'll return to Postgres hacking?
>
>     As  soon  as I see the light at the end of the tunnel (and am
>     sure that it's not the coming train). I think  it  will  take
>     another two or three weeks.

Figure a Jan/Feb release for 6.6...enough time? :)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Status on Jan Wieck

От
"Billy G. Allie"
Jan Wieck wrote:

> > Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
> > > I know people were wondering about Jan, so I just talked to him via
> > > e-mail, and he has been busy on a big project.
> >
> > Good ... I was starting to fear he'd been run over by a truck or
> > something :-(
> >
> > Does he have any idea when/if he'll return to Postgres hacking?
>
>     As  soon  as I see the light at the end of the tunnel (and am
>     sure that it's not the coming train). I think  it  will  take
>     another two or three weeks.

Didn't you hear Jan?  Due to budget constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off :-)
--
____       | Billy G. Allie    | Domain....: Bill.Allie@mug.org
|  /|      | 7436 Hartwell     | Compuserve: 76337,2061
|-/-|----- | Dearborn, MI 48126| MSN.......: B_G_Allie@email.msn.com
|/  |LLIE  | (313) 582-1540    |