Обсуждение: Release schedule

Release schedule

Дата:
What is the release date now?  Still tomorrow?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Release schedule

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> What is the release date now?  Still tomorrow?

Due to all the changes that have gone on in the past 24, I'm going to do a
quick beta3 up tonight with a release for Thursday ... *just in case* ....

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Release schedule

Дата:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > What is the release date now?  Still tomorrow?
>
> Due to all the changes that have gone on in the past 24, I'm going to do a
> quick beta3 up tonight with a release for Thursday ... *just in case* ....

Can we also wait until 6.5.* stabilizes before we split the cvs tree?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Release schedule

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > What is the release date now?  Still tomorrow?
> >
> > Due to all the changes that have gone on in the past 24, I'm going to do a
> > quick beta3 up tonight with a release for Thursday ... *just in case* ....
> >

> Can we also wait until 6.5.* stabilizes before we split the cvs tree?

That defeats the purpose of the split...the split is meant to allow Vadim
and all to keep moving forward while giving us a stable branch to build a
v6.5.1 off of ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Release schedule

Дата:

> > > Due to all the changes that have gone on in the past 24, I'm going to do a
> > > quick beta3 up tonight with a release for Thursday ... *just in case* ....
> > >

> > Can we also wait until 6.5.* stabilizes before we split the cvs tree?
>
> That defeats the purpose of the split...the split is meant to allow Vadim
> and all to keep moving forward while giving us a stable branch to build a
> v6.5.1 off of ...

Yes, but the double patch application is a pain.  Can you find anyone
who wants to start on 6.6 in the next two weeks, rather than working on
6.5 problems?

If there is anyone, please speak up.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: Release schedule

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Yes, but the double patch application is a pain.  Can you find anyone
> who wants to start on 6.6 in the next two weeks, rather than working on
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not me. Some issues should be discussed first.

> 6.5 problems?

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] Re: Release schedule

Дата:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > Yes, but the double patch application is a pain.  Can you find anyone
> > who wants to start on 6.6 in the next two weeks, rather than working on
>                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Not me. Some issues should be discussed first.
>
> > 6.5 problems?
>
> Vadim

All I am asking is that we wait until things get quiet with 6.5 before
splitting.  Those first weeks are all double-patching.  We also don't
want to dilute ourselves with people working on new featues while we try
to get bugs fixed.

We don't have to wait for 6.5 to be closed before splitting CVS, though,
just quiet.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: Release schedule

Дата:
> All I am asking is that we wait until things get quiet with 6.5 before
> splitting.  Those first weeks are all double-patching.

I agree with Bruce on this --- double-patching is a pain, and we could
probably save ourselves some work if we waited a couple weeks before
splitting the tree.  I know I'm not planning on doing anything but
bug-fixes for a while...
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Re: Release schedule

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
If everyone is in agreement, then I can't dispute it :)

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
> > All I am asking is that we wait until things get quiet with 6.5 before
> > splitting.  Those first weeks are all double-patching.
>
> I agree with Bruce on this --- double-patching is a pain, and we could
> probably save ourselves some work if we waited a couple weeks before
> splitting the tree.  I know I'm not planning on doing anything but
> bug-fixes for a while...
>
>             regards, tom lane

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Re: Release schedule

От
Michael Alan Dorman
Дата:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
> > All I am asking is that we wait until things get quiet with 6.5 before
> > splitting.  Those first weeks are all double-patching.
> I agree with Bruce on this --- double-patching is a pain, and we could
> probably save ourselves some work if we waited a couple weeks before
> splitting the tree.  I know I'm not planning on doing anything but
> bug-fixes for a while...

I suspect I'm probably bringing up something that the core development
team considered but had a good reason not to do, but on the offhand
chance it would be helpful, I'll nonetheless venture to point out that
if you created a branch for each release, patches applied to that
branch could be easily merged into the mainline---at least until the
sources begin to diverge, which probably wouldn't happen for the first
couple of weeks (the time period under discussion)---which would
obviate double-patching.

I'll mention that it seems to work pretty well for the egcs
development team---but again, if this has all been discussed before
and decided against, please forget I said anything.

Mike.