Обсуждение: Re: [HACKERS] CVS

Re: [HACKERS] CVS

От
Daniel Lundin
Дата:
> On Fri, 14 May 1999, Todd Graham Lewis wrote:
> export CVSROOT=":pserver:anoncvs@postgresql.org:/usr/local/cvsroot"
> echo "Password is \"postgresql\" "
> cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@postgresql.org:/usr/local/cvsroot login
>
> This was supposed to have been put on the web page, as I recall...

It would be very nice to have the same kind of web interface as the
FreeBSD has, with a web accessible CVS tree.
Advantages is that it would make the source more accesible to non-hacker
users (raising the feeling-involved factor), help documentation writing by
browsing changes easily before checking out / committing and maybe other
advantages too (?).
Check it out at:  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi
Source at:  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/www/en/cgi/cvsweb.cgi

/Daniel

_______________________________________________________________  /\__
           \/      Daniel Lundin - MediaCenter, UNIX and BeOS Developer     http://www.umc.se/~daniel/

 "In C we had to code our own bugs. In C++ we can inherit them."

Re: [HACKERS] CVS

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> It would be very nice to have the same kind of web interface as the
> FreeBSD has, with a web accessible CVS tree.

Uh, we do have it. cvsup is up and running on postgresql.org (a
FreeBSD machine) and we have posted several binaries on
 ftp://postgresql.org/pub/CVSup/

Since you mention it, I had posted the other day a request for someone
to test some RPMs I have made of the latest CVSup release. It would
need a Linux glibc2 machine (I built it on a RH5.2 system), and the
RPMs include an example file for Postgres clients. They are in
/pub/CVSup/beta/ on our ftp server. Once someone installs them
successfully I'll go ahead and update them (the
/etc/rc.d/init.d/cvsupd.init startup file was not quite right, but a
test of the cvsup client would be sufficient to verify the RPMs I
think).

The *great* thing about CVSup is that you end up with the full CVS
repository on your local machine, and can do things like "cvs log"
without going over the net. CVSup has so many optimizations for file
transfer that it just screams over the network, and updates of the CVS
tree happen much faster than anonymous CVS can do.

I'm hoping to get the time to finish marking up a chapter for the docs
on CVS access to postgresql.org, including the CVSup option. In the
meantime look at doc/FAQ_CVS and doc/src/sgml/cvs.sgml. Does anyone
have an interest in picking this up as they do an install themselves?
Would be a great help...
                         - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] CVS

От
Daniel Lundin
Дата:
On Fri, 14 May 1999, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > It would be very nice to have the same kind of web interface as the
> > FreeBSD has, with a web accessible CVS tree.
>
> Uh, we do have it. cvsup is up and running on postgresql.org (a
> FreeBSD machine) and we have posted several binaries on

Oh, slight misunderstanding there.
I'm perfectly aware of the CVSup availability. What I meant was the
cvsweb.cgi perl script which lets one browse the diffs and versions
directly on the web. This is what I meant as "accessible", more to be able
to browse older versions easily than to stay up to date.

/Daniel
________________________________________________________________  /\__
             \/      Daniel Lundin - MediaCenter, UNIX and BeOS Developer     http://www.umc.se/~daniel/

 "In C we had to code our own bugs. In C++ we can inherit them."

Re: [HACKERS] CVS

Дата:
> On Fri, 14 May 1999, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
>
> > > It would be very nice to have the same kind of web interface as the
> > > FreeBSD has, with a web accessible CVS tree.
> >
> > Uh, we do have it. cvsup is up and running on postgresql.org (a
> > FreeBSD machine) and we have posted several binaries on
>
> Oh, slight misunderstanding there.
> I'm perfectly aware of the CVSup availability. What I meant was the
> cvsweb.cgi perl script which lets one browse the diffs and versions
> directly on the web. This is what I meant as "accessible", more to be able
> to browse older versions easily than to stay up to date.

You can click in the backend flowchart to see the code.  That count's,
doesn't it.  :-)

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] CVS

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > cvsweb.cgi perl script which lets one browse the diffs and versions
> > directly on the web. This is what I meant as "accessible", more to be
> > able to browse older versions easily than to stay up to date.

There is also a utility available just to create html versions of
complete cvs logs. cvs2html can be used as part of a batch-type
process and works very well.
                     - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] CVS