Обсуждение: vacuum updated...

vacuum updated...

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
So, beta can be started...

My vacation begins today.
I'll come back Apr 5th and run mooore tests.

There are also some small things to do.

BTW, btrees are changed -> initdb is required...

Have a good days!

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] vacuum updated...

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
Almight Webmaster(s)...please propogate the news!!

We are now officially in Beta.

Release date is officially set for May 1st, no new features are to be
added, only bug fixes from here until then.  This time through, I'm going
to be really really harsh...I pull CVS access to anyone adding new
features :)  We're already 2 months late on this release, and I'd like for
it to be *smoother* then the last one :)

On May 1st, v6.5 will be tag'd so that work can resume...

Vadim/Bruce...enjoy your holidays and look forward to seeing you both back
:)

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Vadim Mikheev wrote:

> So, beta can be started...
>
> My vacation begins today.
> I'll come back Apr 5th and run mooore tests.
>
> There are also some small things to do.
>
> BTW, btrees are changed -> initdb is required...
>
> Have a good days!
>
> Vadim

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] vacuum updated...

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Almight Webmaster(s)...please propogate the news!!

The announcement is now on the main page.  Updates to follow.

Vince.

> We are now officially in Beta.
>
> Release date is officially set for May 1st, no new features are to be
> added, only bug fixes from here until then.  This time through, I'm going
> to be really really harsh...I pull CVS access to anyone adding new
> features :)  We're already 2 months late on this release, and I'd like for
> it to be *smoother* then the last one :)
>
> On May 1st, v6.5 will be tag'd so that work can resume...
>
> Vadim/Bruce...enjoy your holidays and look forward to seeing you both back
> :)
>

> On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Vadim Mikheev wrote:
>
> > So, beta can be started...
> >
> > My vacation begins today.
> > I'll come back Apr 5th and run mooore tests.
> >
> > There are also some small things to do.
> >
> > BTW, btrees are changed -> initdb is required...
> >
> > Have a good days!
> >
> > Vadim
> >

> Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick: Scrappy
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: [HACKERS] vacuum updated...

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
>Almight Webmaster(s)...please propogate the news!!
>
>We are now officially in Beta.
>
>Release date is officially set for May 1st, no new features are to be
>added, only bug fixes from here until then.  This time through, I'm going
>to be really really harsh...I pull CVS access to anyone adding new
>features :)  We're already 2 months late on this release, and I'd like for
>it to be *smoother* then the last one :)
>
>On May 1st, v6.5 will be tag'd so that work can resume...

I have some patches contributed by a user corresponding to one of our
TODO list:

* Add version number in startup banners for psql and postmaster

(actually the patches only add banners to psql, not to postmaster)

Also these include tiny  fixes to psql. Do I have any chance to apply
them for 6.5beta?
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: [HACKERS] vacuum updated...

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> >Almight Webmaster(s)...please propogate the news!!
> >
> >We are now officially in Beta.
> >
> >Release date is officially set for May 1st, no new features are to be
> >added, only bug fixes from here until then.  This time through, I'm going
> >to be really really harsh...I pull CVS access to anyone adding new
> >features :)  We're already 2 months late on this release, and I'd like for
> >it to be *smoother* then the last one :)
> >
> >On May 1st, v6.5 will be tag'd so that work can resume...
>
> I have some patches contributed by a user corresponding to one of our
> TODO list:
>
> * Add version number in startup banners for psql and postmaster
>
> (actually the patches only add banners to psql, not to postmaster)
>
> Also these include tiny  fixes to psql. Do I have any chance to apply
> them for 6.5beta?

How will this affect user scripts that use psql?

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] vacuum updated...

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
>> I have some patches contributed by a user corresponding to one of our
>> TODO list:
>>
>> * Add version number in startup banners for psql and postmaster
>>
>> (actually the patches only add banners to psql, not to postmaster)
>>
>> Also these include tiny  fixes to psql. Do I have any chance to apply
>> them for 6.5beta?
>
>How will this affect user scripts that use psql?

Nothing except new option "-E" which shows actual queries issued by
some \ commands (Example session follows). Sorry, I forgot to mention
about it. I believe this will greatly reduce beginners questions: "How
can I list tables in my database?":-)

./psql -E regression Welcome to the POSTGRESQL interactive sql
monitor: Please read the file COPYRIGHT for copyright terms of POSTGRESQL
[PostgreSQL 6.5.0 on i386-unknown-freebsd2.2.6, compiled by gcc 2.7.2.]
  type \? for help on slash commands  type \q to quit  type \g or terminate with semicolon to execute queryYou are
currentlyconnected to the database: regression

regression=> \d
QUERY: SELECT usename, relname, relkind, relhasrules FROM pg_class, pg_user WHERE ( relkind = 'r' OR relkind = 'i' OR
relkind= 'S')   and relname !~ '^pg_' and usesysid = relowner ORDER BY relname

Database    = regression+------------------+----------------------------------+----------+|  Owner           |
  Relation             |   Type   |+------------------+----------------------------------+----------+| t-ishii
|a_star                           | table    || t-ishii          | abstime_tbl                      | table    |

[snip]

--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: [HACKERS] vacuum updated...

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> >> I have some patches contributed by a user corresponding to one of our
> >> TODO list:
> >>
> >> * Add version number in startup banners for psql and postmaster
> >>
> >> (actually the patches only add banners to psql, not to postmaster)
> >>
> >> Also these include tiny  fixes to psql. Do I have any chance to apply
> >> them for 6.5beta?
> >
> >How will this affect user scripts that use psql?
>
> Nothing except new option "-E" which shows actual queries issued by
> some \ commands (Example session follows). Sorry, I forgot to mention
> about it. I believe this will greatly reduce beginners questions: "How
> can I list tables in my database?":-)

Sounds and looks reasonable...as it doesn't affect the backend at all,
please go for it :)

> ./psql -E regression Welcome to the POSTGRESQL interactive sql
> monitor:
>   Please read the file COPYRIGHT for copyright terms of POSTGRESQL
> [PostgreSQL 6.5.0 on i386-unknown-freebsd2.2.6, compiled by gcc 2.7.2.]
>
>    type \? for help on slash commands
>    type \q to quit
>    type \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
>  You are currently connected to the database: regression
>
> regression=> \d
> QUERY: SELECT usename, relname, relkind, relhasrules FROM pg_class, pg_user WHERE ( relkind = 'r' OR relkind = 'i' OR
relkind= 'S')   and relname !~ '^pg_' and usesysid = relowner ORDER BY relname

> Database    = regression
>  +------------------+----------------------------------+----------+
>  |  Owner           |             Relation             |   Type   |
>  +------------------+----------------------------------+----------+
>  | t-ishii          | a_star                           | table    |
>  | t-ishii          | abstime_tbl                      | table    |
> [snip]
>

> --
> Tatsuo Ishii

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] vacuum updated...

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Sounds and looks reasonable...as it doesn't affect the backend at all,
> please go for it :)

Oh good, scrappy gave the right answer :) That is a nice feature...
                - Tom

Re: [HACKERS] vacuum updated...

Дата:
> The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > Sounds and looks reasonable...as it doesn't affect the backend at all,
> > please go for it :)
>
> Oh good, scrappy gave the right answer :) That is a nice feature...

Thomas is definitely back!

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] vacuum updated...

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > > Sounds and looks reasonable...as it doesn't affect the backend at all,
> > > please go for it :)
> >
> > Oh good, scrappy gave the right answer :) That is a nice feature...
>
> Thomas is definitely back!

That's okay...Tatsuo found a place in my heart...he actually *asked*
before adding the code after Beta started *grin*

Systems Administrator @ hub.org