Обсуждение: Re: EXCEPT/INTERSECT for v6.4

Re: EXCEPT/INTERSECT for v6.4

Дата:
I just received this via e-mail.  I am boucing the whole posting to the
patches list.  I am going to need help understanding the issues here.

> [...]
>
> -) In v6.3.2 the types of the attributes of two select statements
>    connected by the UNION keyword had to match 100%. In v6.4 the types
>    only need to be familiar (i.e. int and float can be mixed). Since this
>    feature did not exist when I worked on Intersect/Except it
>    does not work correctly for Except/Intersect queries WHEN USED IN
>    COMBINATION WITH UNIONS! (i.e. sometimes the wrong type is used for the
>    resulting table. This is because until now the types of the attributes of
>    the first select statement have been used for the resulting table.
>    When Intersects and/or Excepts are used in combination with Unions it
>    might happen, that the first select statement of the original query
>    appears at another position in the query which will be executed. The reason
>    for this is the technique used for the implementation of
>    Except/Intersect which does a query rewrite!)
>    NOTE: It is NOT broken for pure UNION queries and pure INTERSECT/EXCEPT
>          queries!!!
>
> -) I had to add the field intersect_clause to some data structures
>    but did not find time to implement printfuncs for the new field.
>    This does NOT break the debug modes but when an Except/Intersect
>    is used the query debug output will be the already rewritten query.
>
> -) Massive changes to the grammar rules for SELECT and INSERT statements
>    have been necessary (see comments in gram.y and documentation for
>    deatails) in order to be able to use mixed queries like
>    (SELECT ... UNION (SELECT ... EXCEPT SELECT)) INTERSECT SELECT...;
>
> -) When using UNION/EXCEPT/INTERSECT you will get:
>    NOTICE: equal: "Don't know if nodes of type xxx are equal".
>    I did not have  time to add comparsion support for all the needed nodes,
>    but the default behaviour of the function equal met my requirements.
>    I did not dare to supress this message!
>
>    That's the reason why the regression test for union will fail: These
>    messages are also included in the union.out file!
>
> -) Somebody of you changed the union_planner() function for v6.4
>    (I copied the targetlist to new_tlist and that was removed and
>    replaced by a cleanup of the original targetlist). These chnages
>    violated some having queries executed against views so I changed
>    it back again. I did not have time to examine the differences between the
>    two versions but now it works :-)
>    If you want to find out, try the file queries/view_having.sql on
>    both versions and compare the results . Two queries won't produce a
>    correct result with your version.
>
> -) I included some queries in the patch (intersect.sql shows which
>    Intersect/Except/Union queries are possible now!)
>
>    Create a new database dummy and populate it:
>
>    $ createdb dummy
>    $ psql dummy
>    dummy=> \i queries/create_insert.sql
>            .
>            .
>            .
>    dummy=> \i queries/intersect.sql
>

> So, that's it, hope my work will be useful!

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: EXCEPT/INTERSECT for v6.4

От
Clark Evans
Дата:
Thomas,

The documentation Stefan wrote for his Master's thesis
is great stuff.  Perhaps some of could be incorporated?

Stefan Simkovics wrote:
> > I also included the text of my Master's Thesis. (a postscript
> > version). I hope that you find something of it useful and would be
> > happy if parts of it find their way into the PostgreSQL documentation
> > project (If so, tell me, then I send the sources of the document!)

I took the liberty of making a PDF file and posting it on my server:

http://www.manhattanproject.com/stefan_simkovics_masters_thesis.pdf

If this is a problem, I'll remove it.  Also, once the paper has
a permanent home, I'll put in a re-director for it.

> > The contents of the document are:
> >   -) The first chapter might be of less interest as it gives only an
> >      overview on SQL.
> >
> >   -) The second chapter gives a description on much of PostgreSQL's
> >      features (like user defined types etc. and how to use these features)

This second chapter is a great introduction.  (***)

> >   -) The third chapter starts with an overview of PostgreSQL's internal
> >      structure with focus on the stages a query has to pass (i.e. parser,
> >      planner/optimizer, executor). Then a detailed description of the
> >      implementation of the Having clause and the Intersect/Except logic is
> >      given.

And this third chapter is wonderful, it gives a very good low level
description of the rewrite process and internal query representation
in a graphic format.  (****)

Best,

Clark Evans

Re: [HACKERS] Re: EXCEPT/INTERSECT for v6.4

От
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Дата:
> The documentation Stefan wrote for his Master's thesis
> is great stuff.  Perhaps some of could be incorporated?

I'm sure all can be incorporated. Stefan, do we have your sources yet? I
haven't looked at your text, but I'm sure it can become an integral part
of the Postgres docs. We are in sore need of both your introductory
material and your descriptive material on query processing.

I would be happy to integrate it, or perhaps others would like to help.
Either way, could you send on your sources to me and I'll put them into
our documentation source tree as a starting point?

Regards.
                  - Tom

Re: [HACKERS] Re: EXCEPT/INTERSECT for v6.4

Дата:
> > The documentation Stefan wrote for his Master's thesis
> > is great stuff.  Perhaps some of could be incorporated?
>
> I'm sure all can be incorporated. Stefan, do we have your sources yet? I
> haven't looked at your text, but I'm sure it can become an integral part
> of the Postgres docs. We are in sore need of both your introductory
> material and your descriptive material on query processing.
>
> I would be happy to integrate it, or perhaps others would like to help.
> Either way, could you send on your sources to me and I'll put them into
> our documentation source tree as a starting point?
>
> Regards.
>
>                    - Tom

I just bounced his message to the patches list again.  I have not
applied it because he is looking for comments on it, and I haven't heard
anything yet from the group.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: EXCEPT/INTERSECT for v6.4

От
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Дата:
> I just bounced his message to the patches list again.  I have not
> applied it because he is looking for comments on it, and I haven't
> heard anything yet from the group.

It's something I could look at, and it would make a nice addition to
v6.5. But I'm having a *lot* of trouble getting time to look at outer
joins, and am nowhere close to seeing a path for completion.

>From his message, I gathered that we do not yet have the sources for the
docs?
                    - Tom