Обсуждение: Mhonarc for the docs list

Mhonarc for the docs list

От
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Дата:
Can we *really* fix up the docs list, or kill it? People ask what list
they should be posting on for docs questions, and I'm not sure what
answer I should give them. Without it being archived, it means that
there is no searchable list of answers to questions, so I've been
recommending using the hackers list instead.

Heck, on the web page it isn't even listed anymore afaik.

btw, the web pages are looking great. A couple of small things:

The  Info Central->Searchable Mailing List:PostgreSQL.org
page may have some formatting problems in that all the available lists
are written across the top of my browser as one line.

Also, the mhonarc thread listings are showing a line BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFDEC">
at the top of each page.

I'm running Netscape-4.07, which is fairly recent...

TIA
                  - Tom

Re: [HACKERS] Mhonarc for the docs list

От
Oleg Broytmann
Дата:
Hi!

On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
> Also, the mhonarc thread listings are showing a line
>   BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFDEC">
> at the top of each page.
>
> I'm running Netscape-4.07, which is fairly recent...
  It don't depends on browser - generated HTML just left '<'.

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann  National Research Surgery Centre  http://sun.med.ru/~phd/          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.

RE: [HACKERS] Mhonarc for the docs list

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On 23-Dec-98 Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
> Can we *really* fix up the docs list, or kill it? People ask what list
> they should be posting on for docs questions, and I'm not sure what
> answer I should give them. Without it being archived, it means that
> there is no searchable list of answers to questions, so I've been
> recommending using the hackers list instead.
>
> Heck, on the web page it isn't even listed anymore afaik.

Sure.  Now that I subscribe you mention killing it!  :)

And no it's not listed under mailing lists.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2  Online Searchable Campground Listings    http://www.camping-usa.com      "There is no outfit less
entitledto lecture me about bloat              than the federal government"  -- Tony Snow

Re: [HACKERS] Mhonarc for the docs list

От
Hal Snyder
Дата:
"Thomas G. Lockhart" <lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:

> Can we *really* fix up the docs list, or kill it? People ask what list
> they should be posting on for docs questions, and I'm not sure what
> answer I should give them. Without it being archived, it means that
> there is no searchable list of answers to questions, so I've been
> recommending using the hackers list instead.

I have a pretty good feel for which HTML files need revision - need
Marc to fix or turn me loose on several points of breakage in the
archiving scripts. [nudges Marc, who has understandably been busy with
other things lately]

> Heck, on the web page it isn't even listed anymore afaik.
>
> btw, the web pages are looking great. A couple of small things:
>
> The
>   Info Central->Searchable Mailing List:PostgreSQL.org
> page may have some formatting problems in that all the available lists
> are written across the top of my browser as one line.

Gak. Will look at it ASAP.

> Also, the mhonarc thread listings are showing a line
>   BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFDEC">
> at the top of each page.

Known breakage in archiving scripts. See above.

> I'm running Netscape-4.07, which is fairly recent...

Plan is to change the look of the site gradually to make it hang
together better and put most frequently accessed info toward the top
of the site tree. I've been phasing out .shtml and phasing in CSS.

Thanks for the feedback on the web site.

Re: [HACKERS] Mhonarc for the docs list

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On 23 Dec 1998, Hal Snyder wrote:

> "Thomas G. Lockhart" <lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:
>
> > Can we *really* fix up the docs list, or kill it? People ask what list
> > they should be posting on for docs questions, and I'm not sure what
> > answer I should give them. Without it being archived, it means that
> > there is no searchable list of answers to questions, so I've been
> > recommending using the hackers list instead.
>
> I have a pretty good feel for which HTML files need revision - need
> Marc to fix or turn me loose on several points of breakage in the
> archiving scripts. [nudges Marc, who has understandably been busy with
> other things lately]
Just an FYI...I'm not home right now...at folks spending
Xmas...get back on the 27th, have the 28th off, so will be spending time
getting the 'missing lists' mhonarc'd and indexed...

> Plan is to change the look of the site gradually to make it hang
> together better and put most frequently accessed info toward the top
> of the site tree. I've been phasing out .shtml and phasing in CSS.
Any further word from/on that Italian company that wanted to do a
rebuild for us?  Last I recall, you were going to send them a site map to
work off of? *raised eyebrow*

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Mhonarc for the docs list

От
Peter T Mount
Дата:
On 23 Dec 1998, Hal Snyder wrote:

> Plan is to change the look of the site gradually to make it hang
> together better and put most frequently accessed info toward the top
> of the site tree. I've been phasing out .shtml and phasing in CSS.

That would be good for me. I have spare web space that I can provide a UK
mirror, except I can't handle .shtml - CSS is possible however.

PS: My details in the developers page seems to have reverted back to an
old email address (fortunately they still work).

The correct email address should be peter@retep.org.uk

--       Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk     Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Faq: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgresJava PDF Generator: http://www.retep.org.uk/pdf