Обсуждение: VACUUM ANALYZE Problem

VACUUM ANALYZE Problem

От
James Hughes
Дата:
I am getting the error...

    ERROR:  fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed

        ...after creating a database, creating tables - indexes
and sequences, inserting data (with perl scripts) into 2 tables (570
records in one and 100 records in another), using "vacuum analyze" on
the database then trying "\d <tablename>" or "\dS". Running "vacuum"
alone is OK.

I run the query from psql.c:601 on the psql command line and get the
same result.

I tried the same sequence with a small test database and only a few
records and there were no problems.

I am still looking into this and would appreciate any pointers.

-James

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE Problem

От
"Vadim B. Mikheev"
Дата:
James Hughes wrote:

> I am getting the error...
>
>         ERROR:  fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed
>
>                 ...after creating a database, creating tables - indexes
> and sequences, inserting data (with perl scripts) into 2 tables (570
> records in one and 100 records in another), using "vacuum analyze" on
> the database then trying "\d <tablename>" or "\dS". Running "vacuum"
> alone is OK.
>
> I run the query from psql.c:601 on the psql command line and get the
> same result.
>
> I tried the same sequence with a small test database and only a few
> records and there were no problems.
>
> I am still looking into this and would appreciate any pointers.

Version ?
gdb output ?

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE Problem

От
James Hughes

: >         ERROR:  fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed
: >
: >                 ...after creating a database, creating tables - indexes
: > and sequences, inserting data (with perl scripts) into 2 tables (570
: > records in one and 100 records in another), using "vacuum analyze" on
: > the database then trying "\d <tablename>" or "\dS". Running "vacuum"
: > alone is OK.
: >
: > I run the query from psql.c:601 on the psql command line and get the
: > same result.
: >
: > I tried the same sequence with a small test database and only a few
: > records and there were no problems.
: >
: > I am still looking into this and would appreciate any pointers.
:
: Version ?

1-31 cvs tree

: gdb output ?

I'll see if I can narrow it down a bit. Might be larger than the sources
at this point ;)

-James

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE Problem

От
James Hughes
Дата:
After poking arround some more, I found that the "vacuum analyze" is
causing problems with the "<" and ">" operators. The "> 0" in the SELECT
for "/d <table>" and "/dS" commands in psql cause the error.

I verified that any simple query using the "<" or ">" operators fail
with the same message...

    ERROR:  fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed

             ...after using the "vacuum analyse" command.
But, only after vacuuming any relation that was created and populated by
me. Vacumming system catalogs poses no problems.

I did go back to 6.2.0. Found no problems there.

-James

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE Problem

От
"Vadim B. Mikheev"
Дата:
James Hughes wrote:

> After poking arround some more, I found that the "vacuum analyze" is
> causing problems with the "<" and ">" operators. The "> 0" in the SELECT
> for "/d <table>" and "/dS" commands in psql cause the error.
>
> I verified that any simple query using the "<" or ">" operators fail
> with the same message...

Analyze uses oper("=",...), oper("<",...) and oper(">",...)...
Are queries with "=" OK ?

>         ERROR:  fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed
>
>                         ...after using the "vacuum analyse" command.
> But, only after vacuuming any relation that was created and populated by
> me. Vacumming system catalogs poses no problems.

There are comments into vc_updstats:

    /*
     * invalidating system relations confuses the function cache of
     * pg_operator and pg_opclass
     */
    if (!IsSystemRelationName(pgcform->relname.data))
        RelationInvalidateHeapTuple(rd, rtup);

==> invalidation of user relation causes problems too, Bruce ?

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE Problem

От
James Hughes

: > After poking arround some more, I found that the "vacuum analyze" is
: > causing problems with the "<" and ">" operators. The "> 0" in the SELECT
: > for "/d <table>" and "/dS" commands in psql cause the error.
: >
: > I verified that any simple query using the "<" or ">" operators fail
: > with the same message...
:
: Analyze uses oper("=",...), oper("<",...) and oper(">",...)...
: Are queries with "=" OK ?
:

Yes...

    "=" is OK,
    "<>" is OK,
    "<" is broken,
    ">" is broken,
    "<=" is broken,
    ">=" is broken

        ...maybe others, I have no geometrical tables to test
with. I could use some of the code from the regression tests if needed.

-James

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE Problem

От
"Vadim B. Mikheev"
Дата:
James Hughes wrote:

> After poking arround some more, I found that the "vacuum analyze" is
> causing problems with the "<" and ">" operators. The "> 0" in the SELECT
> for "/d <table>" and "/dS" commands in psql cause the error.
>
> I verified that any simple query using the "<" or ">" operators fail
> with the same message...
>
>         ERROR:  fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed
>
>                         ...after using the "vacuum analyse" command.
> But, only after vacuuming any relation that was created and populated by
> me. Vacumming system catalogs poses no problems.

Well, I found that this problem was caused by selfuncs.c:gethilokey():

    static ScanKeyData key[3] = {
        {0, Anum_pg_statistic_starelid, F_OIDEQ},
        {0, Anum_pg_statistic_staattnum, F_INT2EQ},
        {0, Anum_pg_statistic_staop, F_OIDEQ}

: skankeys are hardcoded without call to ScanKeyEntryInitialize() =>
without initialization of sk_func.fn_oid required, I assume, by
new PL support code. Patch for this place follows...
One should check all places where ScanKeyData is used.
Jan, could you do this ?

(Oh, hell! I got this ERROR while testing subselect and spent so many time
to fix this problem...)

Vadim

Вложения

[...]

THANKS! I'll patch my code and check the other instances.

: (Oh, hell! I got this ERROR while testing subselect and spent so many time
: to fix this problem...)
:
: Vadim

-James

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE Problem

> James Hughes wrote:
> >
> > After poking arround some more, I found that the "vacuum analyze" is
> > causing problems with the "<" and ">" operators. The "> 0" in the SELECT
> > for "/d <table>" and "/dS" commands in psql cause the error.
> >
> > I verified that any simple query using the "<" or ">" operators fail
> > with the same message...
>
> Analyze uses oper("=",...), oper("<",...) and oper(">",...)...
> Are queries with "=" OK ?
>

> >         ERROR:  fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed
> >
> >                         ...after using the "vacuum analyse" command.
> > But, only after vacuuming any relation that was created and populated by
> > me. Vacumming system catalogs poses no problems.
>
> There are comments into vc_updstats:
>
>     /*
>      * invalidating system relations confuses the function cache of
>      * pg_operator and pg_opclass
>      */
>     if (!IsSystemRelationName(pgcform->relname.data))
>         RelationInvalidateHeapTuple(rd, rtup);
>
> ==> invalidation of user relation causes problems too, Bruce ?

So this is not a problem?  right?

maillist@candle.pha.pa.us

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE Problem

> After poking arround some more, I found that the "vacuum analyze" is
> causing problems with the "<" and ">" operators. The "> 0" in the SELECT
> for "/d <table>" and "/dS" commands in psql cause the error.
>
> I verified that any simple query using the "<" or ">" operators fail
> with the same message...
>
>     ERROR:  fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed
>
>              ...after using the "vacuum analyse" command.
> But, only after vacuuming any relation that was created and populated by
> me. Vacumming system catalogs poses no problems.
>
> I did go back to 6.2.0. Found no problems there.

Glad it wasn't my vacuum code.  Lots of bad scan initializations.  Who
is working on that?  I think someone volunteered.

maillist@candle.pha.pa.us

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE Problem

> On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Vadim B. Mikheev wrote:
>
> : James Hughes wrote:
> : >
> : > After poking arround some more, I found that the "vacuum analyze" is
> : > causing problems with the "<" and ">" operators. The "> 0" in the SELECT
> : > for "/d <table>" and "/dS" commands in psql cause the error.
> : >
> : > I verified that any simple query using the "<" or ">" operators fail
> : > with the same message...
> : >
> : >         ERROR:  fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed
> : >
> : >                         ...after using the "vacuum analyse" command.
> : > But, only after vacuuming any relation that was created and populated by
> : > me. Vacumming system catalogs poses no problems.
> :
> : Well, I found that this problem was caused by selfuncs.c:gethilokey():
> :
> :     static ScanKeyData key[3] = {
> :         {0, Anum_pg_statistic_starelid, F_OIDEQ},
> :         {0, Anum_pg_statistic_staattnum, F_INT2EQ},
> :         {0, Anum_pg_statistic_staop, F_OIDEQ}
> :
> : : skankeys are hardcoded without call to ScanKeyEntryInitialize() =>
> : without initialization of sk_func.fn_oid required, I assume, by
> : new PL support code. Patch for this place follows...
> : One should check all places where ScanKeyData is used.
> : Jan, could you do this ?
> :
>
> THANKS! I'll patch my code and check the other instances.

James, are you going to submit a patch for all the source code?

maillist@candle.pha.pa.us

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE Problem

От
James Hughes

: > : > After poking arround some more, I found that the "vacuum analyze" is
: > : > causing problems with the "<" and ">" operators. The "> 0" in the SELECT
: > : > for "/d <table>" and "/dS" commands in psql cause the error.
: > : >
: > : > I verified that any simple query using the "<" or ">" operators fail
: > : > with the same message...
: > : >
: > : >         ERROR:  fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed
: > : >
: > : >                         ...after using the "vacuum analyse" command.
: > : > But, only after vacuuming any relation that was created and populated by
: > : > me. Vacumming system catalogs poses no problems.
: > :
[...]

Go ahead with just Vadim's patch for now. It fixes the analyze problem.
I am going out of town for a few days and won't have access to my Dev
System until then. I'll work on it this weekend if it still needs doing.

-James

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE Problem

Дата:
OK, I have looked at this, but can't figure out how to fix the many
initializations of ScanKeyData.  Can someone who understands this please
submit a patch for all these initializations so we can stop these vacuum
analyze reports?

Vadim has found the problem, but we need someone to properly fix it.

> James Hughes wrote:
> >
> > After poking arround some more, I found that the "vacuum analyze" is
> > causing problems with the "<" and ">" operators. The "> 0" in the SELECT
> > for "/d <table>" and "/dS" commands in psql cause the error.
> >
> > I verified that any simple query using the "<" or ">" operators fail
> > with the same message...
> >
> >         ERROR:  fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed
> >
> >                         ...after using the "vacuum analyse" command.
> > But, only after vacuuming any relation that was created and populated by
> > me. Vacumming system catalogs poses no problems.
>
> Well, I found that this problem was caused by selfuncs.c:gethilokey():
>
>     static ScanKeyData key[3] = {
>         {0, Anum_pg_statistic_starelid, F_OIDEQ},
>         {0, Anum_pg_statistic_staattnum, F_INT2EQ},
>         {0, Anum_pg_statistic_staop, F_OIDEQ}
>
> : skankeys are hardcoded without call to ScanKeyEntryInitialize() =>
> without initialization of sk_func.fn_oid required, I assume, by
> new PL support code. Patch for this place follows...
> One should check all places where ScanKeyData is used.
> Jan, could you do this ?
>
> (Oh, hell! I got this ERROR while testing subselect and spent so many time
> to fix this problem...)
>
> Vadim
> --------------A99EE0A2D8F4D665C5BF3957
>
> KioqIHNlbGZ1bmNzLmN+CU1vbiBGZWIgIDIgMTM6NTU6NDcgMTk5OAotLS0gc2VsZnVuY3Mu
> YwlUdWUgRmViICAzIDE3OjM2OjAxIDE5OTgKKioqKioqKioqKioqKioqCioqKiAzMzcsMzQ1
> ICoqKioKICAJcmVnaXN0ZXIgUmVsYXRpb24gcmRlc2M7CiAgCXJlZ2lzdGVyIEhlYXBTY2Fu
> RGVzYyBzZGVzYzsKICAJc3RhdGljIFNjYW5LZXlEYXRhIGtleVszXSA9IHsKISAJCXswLCBB
> bnVtX3BnX3N0YXRpc3RpY19zdGFyZWxpZCwgRl9PSURFUX0sCiEgCQl7MCwgQW51bV9wZ19z
> dGF0aXN0aWNfc3RhYXR0bnVtLCBGX0lOVDJFUX0sCiEgCQl7MCwgQW51bV9wZ19zdGF0aXN0
> aWNfc3Rhb3AsIEZfT0lERVF9CiAgCX07CiAgCWJvb2wJCWlzbnVsbDsKICAJSGVhcFR1cGxl
> CXR1cGxlOwotLS0gMzM3LDM0NSAtLS0tCiAgCXJlZ2lzdGVyIFJlbGF0aW9uIHJkZXNjOwog
> IAlyZWdpc3RlciBIZWFwU2NhbkRlc2Mgc2Rlc2M7CiAgCXN0YXRpYyBTY2FuS2V5RGF0YSBr
> ZXlbM10gPSB7CiEgCQl7MCwgQW51bV9wZ19zdGF0aXN0aWNfc3RhcmVsaWQsIEZfT0lERVEs
> IHswLCAwLCBGX09JREVRfX0sCiEgCQl7MCwgQW51bV9wZ19zdGF0aXN0aWNfc3RhYXR0bnVt
> LCBGX0lOVDJFUSwgezAsIDAsIEZfSU5UMkVRfX0sCiEgCQl7MCwgQW51bV9wZ19zdGF0aXN0
> aWNfc3Rhb3AsIEZfT0lERVEsIHswLCAwLCBGX09JREVRfX0KICAJfTsKICAJYm9vbAkJaXNu
> dWxsOwogIAlIZWFwVHVwbGUJdHVwbGU7Cg==
> --------------A99EE0A2D8F4D665C5BF3957--

maillist@candle.pha.pa.us

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE Problem

От
"Vadim B. Mikheev"
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> OK, I have looked at this, but can't figure out how to fix the many
> initializations of ScanKeyData.  Can someone who understands this please
> submit a patch for all these initializations so we can stop these vacuum
> analyze reports?
>
> Vadim has found the problem, but we need someone to properly fix it.

Just apply my patch to stop "analyze-problem" reports (sorry, I didn't it).
As for other (possible) places, note that ScanKeyEntryInitialize()
initializes sk_func.fn_oid and so we have to worry about hard-coded
initializations only (when ScanKeyEntryInitialize() is not called).

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE Problem

> --------------A99EE0A2D8F4D665C5BF3957
>
> James Hughes wrote:
> >
> > After poking arround some more, I found that the "vacuum analyze" is
> > causing problems with the "<" and ">" operators. The "> 0" in the SELECT
> > for "/d <table>" and "/dS" commands in psql cause the error.
> >
> > I verified that any simple query using the "<" or ">" operators fail
> > with the same message...
> >
> >         ERROR:  fmgr_info: function 0: cache lookup failed
> >
> >                         ...after using the "vacuum analyse" command.
> > But, only after vacuuming any relation that was created and populated by
> > me. Vacumming system catalogs poses no problems.
>
> Well, I found that this problem was caused by selfuncs.c:gethilokey():
>
>     static ScanKeyData key[3] = {
>         {0, Anum_pg_statistic_starelid, F_OIDEQ},
>         {0, Anum_pg_statistic_staattnum, F_INT2EQ},
>         {0, Anum_pg_statistic_staop, F_OIDEQ}
>
> : skankeys are hardcoded without call to ScanKeyEntryInitialize() =>
> without initialization of sk_func.fn_oid required, I assume, by
> new PL support code. Patch for this place follows...
> One should check all places where ScanKeyData is used.
> Jan, could you do this ?
>
> (Oh, hell! I got this ERROR while testing subselect and spent so many time
> to fix this problem...)

I assume we can consider this item closed.

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE Problem

От
James Hughes

: > This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
: > --------------A99EE0A2D8F4D665C5BF3957
: >
: > James Hughes wrote:
: > >
[...]

The problem on my system was fixed by the patch.

-James