Обсуждение: Linux Journal article on PostgreSQL

Linux Journal article on PostgreSQL

От
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Дата:
Got my Linux Journal today and the first featured article is entitled

  "PostgreSQL - The Linux of Databases"

Now scrappy, before you get bent out of joint, they mean this in a nice
way ;-)

The author is Rolf Herzog from Germany. It seems like a good article,
with a few factual errors but on the whole complimentary without
ignoring the weak points (yes Bruce, subselects are mentioned).

Mentions Marc by name and gets 6.5 pages of space (the longest article
in the magazine if you fudge counting a couple of others which have a
two page listing and lots of large graphics).

It runs through examples from src/tutorial and also calls out sequences,
triggers, defaults, constraints, and (I noticed this one :) the
date/time features as being helpful and noteworthy. Of the 5 items
mentioned as missing from the SQL capabilities, at least one (primary
key) and perhaps two (subselects) will be available in v6.3.

                                                       - Tom

Re: [HACKERS] Linux Journal article on PostgreSQL

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

> Got my Linux Journal today and the first featured article is entitled
>
>   "PostgreSQL - The Linux of Databases"
>
> Now scrappy, before you get bent out of joint, they mean this in a nice
> way ;-)

    *rofl*  Is it available anywhere on the 'Net?

> It runs through examples from src/tutorial and also calls out sequences,
> triggers, defaults, constraints, and (I noticed this one :) the
> date/time features as being helpful and noteworthy. Of the 5 items
> mentioned as missing from the SQL capabilities, at least one (primary
> key) and perhaps two (subselects) will be available in v6.3.

    As I think I mentioned to just Bruce the other day, I think that
v6.3 is going to be our biggest "jump forward" yet...there are *sooo* many
advances going into her...

Re: [HACKERS] Linux Journal article on PostgreSQL

От
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Дата:
> > Got my Linux Journal today and the first featured article is entitled
> >
> >   "PostgreSQL - The Linux of Databases"
> >
> > Now scrappy, before you get bent out of joint, they mean this in a nice
> > way ;-)
>
>         *rofl*  Is it available anywhere on the 'Net?

I'm not certain, but since it _is_ a magazine I think they want you to buy a
copy. Let me know if you can't find it on a newstand or in a computer store
(~$3US) and I'll try to find one here. Also, some articles do get republished
a month or more later by Linux Gazette, which is available on line.

> > It runs through examples from src/tutorial and also calls out sequences,
> > triggers, defaults, constraints, and (I noticed this one :) the
> > date/time features as being helpful and noteworthy. Of the 5 items
> > mentioned as missing from the SQL capabilities, at least one (primary
> > key) and perhaps two (subselects) will be available in v6.3.
>
>         As I think I mentioned to just Bruce the other day, I think that
> v6.3 is going to be our biggest "jump forward" yet...there are *sooo* many
> advances going into her...

I agree wrt user-visible features. I'd think that maybe the most important
single step was the work y'all did a while ago to settle down the backend and
get the crashes out since it gives us a reliable base to work from. btw, the
factual error in the magazine which annoyed me the most is the statement
that:

"PostgreSQL is now developed by a couple of volunteers, who coordinate their
efforts via the Internet."

which vastly understates the wide range of contributions. I wonder if he was
thinking of both Marc and scrappy :) Oh well...

                                                    - Tom

Re: [HACKERS] Linux Journal article on PostgreSQL

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

> "PostgreSQL is now developed by a couple of volunteers, who coordinate their
> efforts via the Internet."
>
> which vastly understates the wide range of contributions. I wonder if he was
> thinking of both Marc and scrappy :) Oh well..

    It does understate it, but there are really only three *high
visibility" programmers working, and, oh, a couple of dozen less visible
ones...he might only be noticing the high visibility ones and totally
missing the important contributions by the less visible ones :9

Re: [HACKERS] Linux Journal article on PostgreSQL

От
Mattias Kregert
Дата:
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
>
> > Got my Linux Journal today and the first featured article is entitled
> >
> >   "PostgreSQL - The Linux of Databases"
> >
> > Now scrappy, before you get bent out of joint, they mean this in a nice
> > way ;-)
>
>         *rofl*  Is it available anywhere on the 'Net?

  http://www.linuxjournal.com/

/* m */