Обсуждение: Re: [BUGS] documentation bug - behave of NEW a OLD in plpgsql's triggers

Re: [BUGS] documentation bug - behave of NEW a OLD in plpgsql's triggers

От
Josh Kupershmidt
Дата:
[Moving to -docs]

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> one czech user reported a bug in documentation -
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/plpgsql-trigger.html
>
> NEW
>
>    Data type RECORD; variable holding the new database row for
> INSERT/UPDATE operations in row-level triggers. This variable is NULL
> in statement-level triggers and for DELETE operations.
> OLD
>
>    Data type RECORD; variable holding the old database row for
> UPDATE/DELETE operations in row-level triggers. This variable is NULL
> in statement-level triggers and for INSERT operations.
>
> It isn't correct. NEW is not declared in DELETE trigger, OLD isn't
> declared in INSERT

If I've understood you correctly, the problem is that the docs claim
that the variables are defined with a value of NULL, when in fact they
are undefined. For example, if you try to use variable NEW in a delete
trigger, you'll get an error message like:
|  ERROR:  record "new" is not assigned yet
|  DETAIL:  The tuple structure of a not-yet-assigned record is indeterminate.

How about a doc tweak like the attached?

Josh

Вложения

Re: [BUGS] documentation bug - behave of NEW a OLD in plpgsql's triggers

Дата:
Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com> writes:
> [Moving to -docs]
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It isn't correct. NEW is not declared in DELETE trigger, OLD isn't
>> declared in INSERT

That claim is flat out wrong.

> If I've understood you correctly, the problem is that the docs claim
> that the variables are defined with a value of NULL, when in fact they
> are undefined. For example, if you try to use variable NEW in a delete
> trigger, you'll get an error message like:
> |  ERROR:  record "new" is not assigned yet
> |  DETAIL:  The tuple structure of a not-yet-assigned record is indeterminate.

That is, in fact, exactly the behavior you get if you declare a RECORD
variable and set it to NULL.  If these variables were indeed not
declared, you'd get a complaint about "new" not being a known variable.
Observe:

regression=# create function foo(int) returns void as $$
regression$# begin
regression$#   new.x := $1;
regression$# end$$ language plpgsql;
ERROR:  "new.x" is not a known variable
LINE 3:   new.x := $1;
          ^

versus

regression=# create function foo(int) returns void as $$
regression$# declare new record;
regression$# begin
regression$#   new := null;
regression$#   new.x := $1;
regression$# end$$ language plpgsql;
CREATE FUNCTION
regression=# select foo(1);
ERROR:  record "new" is not assigned yet
DETAIL:  The tuple structure of a not-yet-assigned record is indeterminate.
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "foo" line 5 at assignment

            regards, tom lane

Re: [BUGS] documentation bug - behave of NEW a OLD in plpgsql's triggers

От
Josh Kupershmidt
Дата:
On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:36 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> That is, in fact, exactly the behavior you get if you declare a RECORD
> variable and set it to NULL.  If these variables were indeed not
> declared, you'd get a complaint about "new" not being a known variable.

Hrm, guess I learned something. I tested with a trigger function which used:
     IF NEW IS NULL THEN
       RAISE NOTICE 'new is null.';

which was giving me 'ERROR:  record "new" is not assigned yet' when
used as an on-delete trigger. I am a little surprised that you can't
use IS NULL to test out a record-type variable which you've just
declared to be NULL, e.g. this function blows up:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_trg() RETURNS TRIGGER AS $$
  DECLARE SOMEVAR record;
  BEGIN
     SOMEVAR := NULL;
     IF SOMEVAR IS NULL THEN
       RAISE NOTICE 'somevar is null.';
     END IF;
  RETURN NEW;
  END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

with the same error message.

Josh

Re: [BUGS] documentation bug - behave of NEW a OLD in plpgsql's triggers

Дата:
Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com> writes:
> Hrm, guess I learned something. I tested with a trigger function which used:
>      IF NEW IS NULL THEN
>        RAISE NOTICE 'new is null.';

> which was giving me 'ERROR:  record "new" is not assigned yet' when
> used as an on-delete trigger.

Hmm ... I wonder whether we couldn't make that case work, since IS NULL
shouldn't particularly care whether the record has a known tuple
structure or not.  Still, it's probably not worth spending effort on ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: [BUGS] documentation bug - behave of NEW a OLD in plpgsql's triggers

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hello

2011/5/6 Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com>:
> [Moving to -docs]
>
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> one czech user reported a bug in documentation -
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/plpgsql-trigger.html
>>
>> NEW
>>
>>    Data type RECORD; variable holding the new database row for
>> INSERT/UPDATE operations in row-level triggers. This variable is NULL
>> in statement-level triggers and for DELETE operations.
>> OLD
>>
>>    Data type RECORD; variable holding the old database row for
>> UPDATE/DELETE operations in row-level triggers. This variable is NULL
>> in statement-level triggers and for INSERT operations.
>>
>> It isn't correct. NEW is not declared in DELETE trigger, OLD isn't
>> declared in INSERT
>
> If I've understood you correctly, the problem is that the docs claim
> that the variables are defined with a value of NULL, when in fact they
> are undefined. For example, if you try to use variable NEW in a delete
> trigger, you'll get an error message like:
> |  ERROR:  record "new" is not assigned yet
> |  DETAIL:  The tuple structure of a not-yet-assigned record is indeterminate.
>
> How about a doc tweak like the attached?

it is correct

Regards

Pavel Stehule

> Josh

Re: [BUGS] documentation bug - behave of NEW a OLD in plpgsql's triggers

Дата:
Josh Kupershmidt wrote:
> [Moving to -docs]
>
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > one czech user reported a bug in documentation -
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/plpgsql-trigger.html
> >
> > NEW
> >
> > ? ?Data type RECORD; variable holding the new database row for
> > INSERT/UPDATE operations in row-level triggers. This variable is NULL
> > in statement-level triggers and for DELETE operations.
> > OLD
> >
> > ? ?Data type RECORD; variable holding the old database row for
> > UPDATE/DELETE operations in row-level triggers. This variable is NULL
> > in statement-level triggers and for INSERT operations.
> >
> > It isn't correct. NEW is not declared in DELETE trigger, OLD isn't
> > declared in INSERT
>
> If I've understood you correctly, the problem is that the docs claim
> that the variables are defined with a value of NULL, when in fact they
> are undefined. For example, if you try to use variable NEW in a delete
> trigger, you'll get an error message like:
> |  ERROR:  record "new" is not assigned yet
> |  DETAIL:  The tuple structure of a not-yet-assigned record is indeterminate.
>
> How about a doc tweak like the attached?

Perfect.  Applied to 9.0, 9.1, and head.  Thanks.  Sorry for the delay.

Re: [BUGS] documentation bug - behave of NEW a OLD in plpgsql's triggers

От
Josh Kupershmidt
Дата:
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 10:54 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Josh Kupershmidt wrote:
>> How about a doc tweak like the attached?
>
> Perfect.  Applied to 9.0, 9.1, and head.  Thanks.  Sorry for the delay.

Err, as Tom's first comment in this thread explains, Pavel and I were
both wrong: the variables in question are indeed NULL, not undefined.
I think the docs were fine the way they were.

Josh

Re: [BUGS] documentation bug - behave of NEW a OLD in plpgsql's triggers

Дата:
Josh Kupershmidt wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 10:54 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > Josh Kupershmidt wrote:
> >> How about a doc tweak like the attached?
> >
> > Perfect. ?Applied to 9.0, 9.1, and head. ?Thanks. ?Sorry for the delay.
>
> Err, as Tom's first comment in this thread explains, Pavel and I were
> both wrong: the variables in question are indeed NULL, not undefined.
> I think the docs were fine the way they were.

OK, reverted.  I did not see Tom's comment.

Re: [BUGS] documentation bug - behave of NEW a OLD in plpgsql's triggers

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
2011/9/7 Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 10:54 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> Josh Kupershmidt wrote:
>>> How about a doc tweak like the attached?
>>
>> Perfect.  Applied to 9.0, 9.1, and head.  Thanks.  Sorry for the delay.
>
> Err, as Tom's first comment in this thread explains, Pavel and I were
> both wrong: the variables in question are indeed NULL, not undefined.
> I think the docs were fine the way they were.

There is maybe bug - these variables are defined, but they has not
assigned tupledesc, so there is not possible do any test

postgres=# create table omega (a int, b int);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# create or replace function foo_trig()
postgres-# returns trigger as $$
postgres$# begin
postgres$#   raise notice '%', new;
postgres$#   return null;
postgres$# end;
postgres$# $$ language plpgsql;
CREATE FUNCTION
postgres=# create trigger xxx after delete on omega for each row
execute procedure foo_trig();
CREATE TRIGGER
postgres=# insert into omega values(20);
INSERT 0 1
postgres=# delete from omega;
ERROR:  record "new" is not assigned yet
DETAIL:  The tuple structure of a not-yet-assigned record is indeterminate.
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "foo_trig" line 3 at RAISE

so current text in documentation is not correct too.

Regards

Pavel Stehule

> Josh

Re: [BUGS] documentation bug - behave of NEW a OLD in plpgsql's triggers

Дата:
On Wed, Sep  7, 2011 at 03:40:19PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> 2011/9/7 Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com>:
> >>
> >> Perfect.  Applied to 9.0, 9.1, and head.  Thanks.  Sorry for the delay.
> >
> > Err, as Tom's first comment in this thread explains, Pavel and I were
> > both wrong: the variables in question are indeed NULL, not undefined.
> > I think the docs were fine the way they were.
>
> There is maybe bug - these variables are defined, but they has not
> assigned tupledesc, so there is not possible do any test
>
> postgres=# create table omega (a int, b int);
> CREATE TABLE
> postgres=# create or replace function foo_trig()
> postgres-# returns trigger as $$
> postgres$# begin
> postgres$#   raise notice '%', new;
> postgres$#   return null;
> postgres$# end;
> postgres$# $$ language plpgsql;
> CREATE FUNCTION
> postgres=# create trigger xxx after delete on omega for each row
> execute procedure foo_trig();
> CREATE TRIGGER
> postgres=# insert into omega values(20);
> INSERT 0 1
> postgres=# delete from omega;
> ERROR:  record "new" is not assigned yet
> DETAIL:  The tuple structure of a not-yet-assigned record is indeterminate.
> CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "foo_trig" line 3 at RAISE
>
> so current text in documentation is not correct too.

I used your queries to test NEW/OLD on DELETE/INSERT, respectively, and
for statement-level triggers, and you are right that they are
unassigned, not NULL.

The attached patch fixes our documentation for PG 9.3.