Обсуждение: Re: [pgsql-www] Example indenting

Re: [pgsql-www] Example indenting

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Thom Brown  wrote:

> Anymore feedback/suggestions? Anything not look right? Are we there
> yet?

The only thing I found a little distracting with the current layout
is that on some pages the horizontal lines for the section and
subsection are very close together.  If the lines for subsections
were less imposing, it would probably help.  I don't know if it's
possible to make them match the length of the subsection title;
if not, perhaps thinner or lighter would help.

Overall it's looking quite good to me.

> I was thinking the borders look a bit too bold, so might reduce
> them.

That's worth a try.

-Kevin

Re: [pgsql-www] Example indenting

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 6 September 2010 15:54, Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> Thom Brown  wrote:
>
>> Anymore feedback/suggestions? Anything not look right? Are we there
>> yet?
>
> The only thing I found a little distracting with the current layout
> is that on some pages the horizontal lines for the section and
> subsection are very close together.  If the lines for subsections
> were less imposing, it would probably help.  I don't know if it's
> possible to make them match the length of the subsection title;
> if not, perhaps thinner or lighter would help.
>
> Overall it's looking quite good to me.

Okay, I think I've now covered those.

>> I was thinking the borders look a bit too bold, so might reduce
>> them.
>
> That's worth a try.

Done

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

Re: [pgsql-www] Example indenting

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:

>> The only thing I found a little distracting with the current
>> layout is that on some pages the horizontal lines for the section
>> and subsection are very close together.  If the lines for
>> subsections were less imposing, it would probably help.  I don't
>> know if it's possible to make them match the length of the
>> subsection title;

> Okay, I think I've now covered those.

I like it.

>>> I was thinking the borders look a bit too bold, so might reduce
>>> them.
>>
>> That's worth a try.
>
> Done

I like that, too.

I just noticed that the text size links in the upper right corner
don't seem to work.

-Kevin

Re: [pgsql-www] Example indenting

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 7 September 2010 18:12, Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> I just noticed that the text size links in the upper right corner
> don't seem to work.

I think you're imagining things, Kevin. (in other words, I've fixed it
because it wasn't present in the new version of the site)

The notes section still looks really drab on my screen.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: [pgsql-www] Example indenting

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:

> The notes section still looks really drab on my screen.

Are you talking about the Release Notes page:

http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/8.4/static/release.html

notes for a major release:

http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/8.4/static/release-8-4.html

or notes for a minor release:

http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/8.4/static/release-8-4-4.html

All three?  Something entirely different?

-Kevin

Re: [pgsql-www] Example indenting

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 7 September 2010 19:42, Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>
>> The notes section still looks really drab on my screen.
>
> Are you talking about the Release Notes page:
>
> http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/8.4/static/release.html
>
> notes for a major release:
>
> http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/8.4/static/release-8-4.html
>
> or notes for a minor release:
>
> http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/8.4/static/release-8-4-4.html
>
> All three?  Something entirely different?

Sorry, I should have clarified.  There are boxes containing notes
which I had originally coloured yellow, but we went for beige instead.
 Example appears on:
http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/9.0/static/ddl-priv.html

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: [pgsql-www] Example indenting

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:

> There are boxes containing notes which I had originally coloured
> yellow, but we went for beige instead.  Example appears on:
> http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/9.0/static/ddl-priv.html

Oh, *those* notes.  Got it.

As I recall, Tom felt that the yellow was too much of an
"eye-grabber" for the strength of what we were putting in such
sections, and I tended to agree.  (I still do, actually.)  I
suggested beige as something which made them easy to pick out
without screaming for attention.  I'll concede that beige is drab,
but at the time I couldn't think of anything else which would serve
as well.  If you want about the same degree of "grab" with less
"drab", perhaps a pale cyan?  I dunno....

-Kevin

Re: [pgsql-www] Example indenting

Дата:
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
> Sorry, I should have clarified.  There are boxes containing notes
> which I had originally coloured yellow, but we went for beige instead.
>  Example appears on:
> http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/9.0/static/ddl-priv.html

Hmm, I always think of beige as being mostly brown ... this is more
mostly yellow.  Personally I'd like this color for <caution> blocks,
and something intermediate between this and gray for <note>s.  The
current setup seems to use the same pale red for <caution> and
<warning>, which doesn't seem right to me.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [pgsql-www] Example indenting

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I should have clarified.  There are boxes containing notes
> which I had originally coloured yellow, but we went for beige instead.
>  Example appears on:
> http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/9.0/static/ddl-priv.html

Apologies for not keeping up with this thread, but is there a reason
why the headers change colour and gain an underline on mouseover? That
shouldn't happen imnsho.

In general, the headers should follow the style of the rest of the
site - I notice also that on
http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/8.4/static/release-8-4.html,
theres a new underline on "E.5.1. Overview" for example.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: [pgsql-www] Example indenting

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 7 September 2010 20:26, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
>> Sorry, I should have clarified.  There are boxes containing notes
>> which I had originally coloured yellow, but we went for beige instead.
>>  Example appears on:
>> http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/9.0/static/ddl-priv.html
>
> Hmm, I always think of beige as being mostly brown ... this is more
> mostly yellow.  Personally I'd like this color for <caution> blocks,
> and something intermediate between this and gray for <note>s.  The
> current setup seems to use the same pale red for <caution> and
> <warning>, which doesn't seem right to me.

Yes, good spot.  I shouldn't have bundled those in together.  I see
what I can do.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: [pgsql-www] Example indenting

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 7 September 2010 20:28, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>> Sorry, I should have clarified.  There are boxes containing notes
>> which I had originally coloured yellow, but we went for beige instead.
>>  Example appears on:
>> http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/9.0/static/ddl-priv.html
>
> Apologies for not keeping up with this thread, but is there a reason
> why the headers change colour and gain an underline on mouseover? That
> shouldn't happen imnsho.
>
> In general, the headers should follow the style of the rest of the
> site - I notice also that on
> http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/8.4/static/release-8-4.html,
> theres a new underline on "E.5.1. Overview" for example.

The existing site already shows that underline on hover, but I can
remove that.  The new blue one I've added is actually a border.  The
reason it's a border and not an underline is that it can be a
different colour to the text... although now I think about it, I can
probably achieve that same effect by apply different font colours on
both the h2 title tag and the enclosed anchor tag.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: [pgsql-www] Example indenting

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 8:48 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 7 September 2010 20:28, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>>> Sorry, I should have clarified.  There are boxes containing notes
>>> which I had originally coloured yellow, but we went for beige instead.
>>>  Example appears on:
>>> http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/9.0/static/ddl-priv.html
>>
>> Apologies for not keeping up with this thread, but is there a reason
>> why the headers change colour and gain an underline on mouseover? That
>> shouldn't happen imnsho.
>>
>> In general, the headers should follow the style of the rest of the
>> site - I notice also that on
>> http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/8.4/static/release-8-4.html,
>> theres a new underline on "E.5.1. Overview" for example.
>
> The existing site already shows that underline on hover, but I can
> remove that.

Oh, so it does. It shouldn't though - so thanks in advance for fixing :-)

> The new blue one I've added is actually a border.  The
> reason it's a border and not an underline is that it can be a
> different colour to the text... although now I think about it, I can
> probably achieve that same effect by apply different font colours on
> both the h2 title tag and the enclosed anchor tag.

However it's applied, it's inconsistent with the rest of the site (see
http://www.postgresql.org/about/ for example), and should be removed
imo.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: [pgsql-www] Example indenting

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 7 September 2010 20:58, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 8:48 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Apologies for not keeping up with this thread, but is there a reason
>>> why the headers change colour and gain an underline on mouseover? That
>>> shouldn't happen imnsho.
>>>
>>> In general, the headers should follow the style of the rest of the
>>> site - I notice also that on
>>> http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/8.4/static/release-8-4.html,
>>> theres a new underline on "E.5.1. Overview" for example.
>>
>> The existing site already shows that underline on hover, but I can
>> remove that.
>
> Oh, so it does. It shouldn't though - so thanks in advance for fixing :-)
>
>> The new blue one I've added is actually a border.  The
>> reason it's a border and not an underline is that it can be a
>> different colour to the text... although now I think about it, I can
>> probably achieve that same effect by apply different font colours on
>> both the h2 title tag and the enclosed anchor tag.
>
> However it's applied, it's inconsistent with the rest of the site (see
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/ for example), and should be removed
> imo.

Okay, they're gone.  I only added them as it makes the beginning of
sub-sections easier to spot.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: [pgsql-www] Example indenting

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 9:04 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 7 September 2010 20:58, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

>>> The existing site already shows that underline on hover, but I can
>>> remove that.
>>
>> Oh, so it does. It shouldn't though - so thanks in advance for fixing :-)
>>
>>> The new blue one I've added is actually a border.  The
>>> reason it's a border and not an underline is that it can be a
>>> different colour to the text... although now I think about it, I can
>>> probably achieve that same effect by apply different font colours on
>>> both the h2 title tag and the enclosed anchor tag.
>>
>> However it's applied, it's inconsistent with the rest of the site (see
>> http://www.postgresql.org/about/ for example), and should be removed
>> imo.
>
> Okay, they're gone.  I only added them as it makes the beginning of
> sub-sections easier to spot.

Thanks.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: [pgsql-www] Example indenting

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 7 September 2010 20:26, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
>> Sorry, I should have clarified.  There are boxes containing notes
>> which I had originally coloured yellow, but we went for beige instead.
>>  Example appears on:
>> http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/9.0/static/ddl-priv.html
>
> Hmm, I always think of beige as being mostly brown ... this is more
> mostly yellow.  Personally I'd like this color for <caution> blocks,
> and something intermediate between this and gray for <note>s.  The
> current setup seems to use the same pale red for <caution> and
> <warning>, which doesn't seem right to me.

Okay Tom, these look a bit too subtle to me, but how about this:
http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/8.4/static/plpgsql-statements.html

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: [pgsql-www] Example indenting

Дата:
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
> On 7 September 2010 20:26, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Hmm, I always think of beige as being mostly brown ... this is more
>> mostly yellow. �Personally I'd like this color for <caution> blocks,
>> and something intermediate between this and gray for <note>s. �The
>> current setup seems to use the same pale red for <caution> and
>> <warning>, which doesn't seem right to me.

> Okay Tom, these look a bit too subtle to me, but how about this:
> http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/8.4/static/plpgsql-statements.html

The Caution looks good to me.  I'd still take the Notes down another
notch, but certainly we're getting into personal preference now.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [pgsql-www] Example indenting

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 7 September 2010 22:01, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> The Caution looks good to me.  I'd still take the Notes down another
> notch, but certainly we're getting into personal preference now.

Okay, adjusted it a bit more so that should do now.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: [pgsql-www] Example indenting

Дата:
Thom Brown wrote:
> On 7 September 2010 20:26, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
> >> Sorry, I should have clarified. ?There are boxes containing notes
> >> which I had originally coloured yellow, but we went for beige instead.
> >> ?Example appears on:
> >> http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/9.0/static/ddl-priv.html
> >
> > Hmm, I always think of beige as being mostly brown ... this is more
> > mostly yellow. ?Personally I'd like this color for <caution> blocks,
> > and something intermediate between this and gray for <note>s. ?The
> > current setup seems to use the same pale red for <caution> and
> > <warning>, which doesn't seem right to me.
>
> Okay Tom, these look a bit too subtle to me, but how about this:
> http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/8.4/static/plpgsql-statements.html

I am excited about these changes.  We did a lot to improve the 9.0
manual content, and these changes will greatly improve the user
experience as well.

Re: [pgsql-www] Example indenting

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 7 September 2010 22:20, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Thom Brown wrote:
>> >
>> > Hmm, I always think of beige as being mostly brown ... this is more
>> > mostly yellow. ?Personally I'd like this color for <caution> blocks,
>> > and something intermediate between this and gray for <note>s. ?The
>> > current setup seems to use the same pale red for <caution> and
>> > <warning>, which doesn't seem right to me.
>>
>> Okay Tom, these look a bit too subtle to me, but how about this:
>> http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/8.4/static/plpgsql-statements.html
>
> I am excited about these changes.  We did a lot to improve the 9.0
> manual content, and these changes will greatly improve the user
> experience as well.

Yes, although I hope I/we haven't got a bit too carried away with this
simple indentation of code examples I was after ;)

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: [pgsql-www] Example indenting

Дата:
Thom Brown wrote:
> On 7 September 2010 22:20, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > Thom Brown wrote:

> >> Okay Tom, these look a bit too subtle to me, but how about this:
> >> http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/8.4/static/plpgsql-statements.html
> >
> > I am excited about these changes. ?We did a lot to improve the 9.0
> > manual content, and these changes will greatly improve the user
> > experience as well.
>
> Yes, although I hope I/we haven't got a bit too carried away with this
> simple indentation of code examples I was after ;)

Yeah, we are good at sucking people in.  ;-)  Your improvements will be
a big step forward for us.  Thanks.