Обсуждение: Some information required

Some information required

От
"Narayan Murthy K S"
Дата:
All,

We were planning use PostgreSQL under the Cygwin environment - but this is what i found mentioned about usage of Postgres under the Cygwin environment.

This is the extract from the online book - Practical PostgreSQL

"Note: Although PostgreSQL is capable of running on a Win32 platform, this book does not cover installation on Windows. The Win32 version of PostgreSQL requires the Cygwin environment and will not operate independently within Win32. Although Cygwin can be useful in many situations, the use of PostgreSQL in a Cygwin environment is not recommended"

If you look at the last line it says " use of PostgreSQL in a Cygwin environment is not recommended" - why is this so. What are the problems that one could encounter when using PostgreSQL under the cygwin environment.

Narayan.
Вложения

Re: Some information required

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Narayan Murthy K S writes:

> If you look at the last line it says " use of PostgreSQL in a Cygwin
> environment is not recommended" - why is this so. What are the problems
> that one could encounter when using PostgreSQL under the cygwin
> environment.

If the author doesn't provide an explanation for this statement then he's
just spreading rumors.  PostgreSQL on Cygwin works fine.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Some information required

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 06:25:53PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Narayan Murthy K S writes:
> > If you look at the last line it says " use of PostgreSQL in a Cygwin
> > environment is not recommended" - why is this so. What are the
> > problems that one could encounter when using PostgreSQL under the
> > cygwin environment.
>
> If the author doesn't provide an explanation for this statement then
> he's just spreading rumors.

Agreed.

> PostgreSQL on Cygwin works fine.

However, to be fair there are issues:

    o maximum of 63 backends
    o greater than "normal" connection delays

All of the above are due to Cygwin's attempt to map fork() semantics
onto Win32 APIs -- which is no easy feat.

Jason