Обсуждение: pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml rc/back ...

pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml rc/back ...

От
tgl@postgresql.org (Tom Lane)
CVSROOT:    /cvsroot
Module name:    pgsql-server
Changes by:    tgl@postgresql.org    02/11/20 19:42:20

Modified files:
    doc/src/sgml   : runtime.sgml
    src/backend/optimizer/path: costsize.c
    src/backend/optimizer/plan: createplan.c planmain.c planner.c
    src/backend/utils/misc: guc.c postgresql.conf.sample
    src/bin/psql   : tab-complete.c
    src/include/optimizer: cost.h planmain.h
    src/test/regress/expected: aggregates.out rangefuncs.out
                               rules.out select_having.out
                               select_having_1.out
                               select_implicit.out
                               select_implicit_1.out subselect.out
    src/test/regress/input: misc.source
    src/test/regress/output: misc.source
    src/test/regress/sql: aggregates.sql rules.sql select_having.sql
                          select_implicit.sql subselect.sql

Log message:
    Finish implementation of hashed aggregation.  Add enable_hashagg GUC
    parameter to allow it to be forced off for comparison purposes.
    Add ORDER BY clauses to a bunch of regression test queries that will
    otherwise produce randomly-ordered output in the new regime.

Re: pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml rc/back ...

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
> Log message:
>     Finish implementation of hashed aggregation.  Add enable_hashagg GUC
>     parameter to allow it to be forced off for comparison purposes.
>     Add ORDER BY clauses to a bunch of regression test queries that will
>     otherwise produce randomly-ordered output in the new regime.

Out of interest (since I was away while this was proposed I assume),
what's the idea with hashed aggergation?  I assume each group is now in a
hash bucket?  How did it work before?

Chris

Re: pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml rc/back ...

Дата:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > Log message:
> >     Finish implementation of hashed aggregation.  Add enable_hashagg GUC
> >     parameter to allow it to be forced off for comparison purposes.
> >     Add ORDER BY clauses to a bunch of regression test queries that will
> >     otherwise produce randomly-ordered output in the new regime.
>
> Out of interest (since I was away while this was proposed I assume),
> what's the idea with hashed aggergation?  I assume each group is now in a
> hash bucket?  How did it work before?

It sequential scanned the group of possible matches.  How it hashes the
value and looks for matches that way --- much faster and the way most
db's do it.

Re: pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml rc/back ...

Дата:
> Out of interest (since I was away while this was proposed I assume),
> what's the idea with hashed aggergation?

Old method: scan rows in order by the GROUP BY columns (requiring
a sort, or if you're lucky an indexscan), and execute one aggregation
at a time.

New method: scan rows in any old order (typically a seqscan), and run
all the per-group aggregates in parallel.  It's a hash aggregation
because we use an in-memory hashtable indexed by the values of the GROUP
BY columns to keep track of the running state of each aggregate.

The hash method avoids a sort before aggregation, at the cost of a sort
afterwards if you want the results in non-random order.  But the
post-sort is only sorting one row per group, which is usually a lot less
data than the input rows.

One case where the old method can still win is where you have
    SELECT ... GROUP BY foo ORDER BY foo LIMIT n;
for small n.  The hash method does not produce any output till it's
read all the input; the old method can produce a few rows very cheaply
if foo is indexed.

Also, of course, the hash method fails if you have too many groups to
permit the hashtable to fit in memory.

            regards, tom lane