Обсуждение: pgsql-server/src/bin/psql print.c

pgsql-server/src/bin/psql print.c

От
tgl@postgresql.org (Tom Lane)
CVSROOT:    /cvsroot
Module name:    pgsql-server
Changes by:    tgl@postgresql.org    02/11/01 10:12:19

Modified files:
    src/bin/psql   : print.c

Log message:
    Avoid malloc(0) when printing a table of no columns.  On some platforms
    this returns NULL, which confuses the code.

Re: pgsql-server/src/bin/psql print.c

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
Out of interest, how does one get a table of no columns?

Chris

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> CVSROOT:    /cvsroot
> Module name:    pgsql-server
> Changes by:    tgl@postgresql.org    02/11/01 10:12:19
>
> Modified files:
>     src/bin/psql   : print.c
>
> Log message:
>     Avoid malloc(0) when printing a table of no columns.  On some platforms
>     this returns NULL, which confuses the code.

Re: pgsql-server/src/bin/psql print.c

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:
On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 06:37, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Out of interest, how does one get a table of no columns?

ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN :)

--
  Rod Taylor

Re: pgsql-server/src/bin/psql print.c

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
Nup - DROP COLUMN (well at least the code I wrote) deliberately prevents you
from doing that!

Chris

Дата:
> Nup - DROP COLUMN (well at least the code I wrote) deliberately prevents you
> from doing that!

Yeah, but we ripped it out later, per this CVS log entry:

    * src/: backend/access/common/tupdesc.c,
    backend/commands/tablecmds.c, backend/executor/execTuples.c,
    backend/executor/nodeAgg.c, backend/parser/parse_target.c,
    test/regress/expected/alter_table.out (REL7_3_STABLE),
    backend/access/common/tupdesc.c, backend/commands/tablecmds.c,
    backend/executor/execTuples.c, backend/executor/nodeAgg.c,
    backend/parser/parse_target.c,
    test/regress/expected/alter_table.out: Make the world at least
    somewhat safe for zero-column tables, and remove the special case
    in ALTER DROP COLUMN to prohibit dropping a table's last column.

I forget the details of the discussion leading up to that, but we
decided that prohibiting a DROP of a table's last column was creating
so much ugliness that we should try to remove the restriction; and upon
looking into it, there weren't *that* many places that would choke on
it.  So as of the last month or so, you can do it.  I would not be
surprised to find one or two more lurking problems with zero-column
tables, but I'd rather fix those than have the weird special case.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pgsql-server/src/bin/psql print.c

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
Ah ok - so it's something that went in while I wasn't subscribed.  Do you
now allow this as well?

CREATE TABLE test ();

Chris

Дата:
> Ah ok - so it's something that went in while I wasn't subscribed.  Do you
> now allow this as well?

> CREATE TABLE test ();

No.  In theory we could, but I'm not seeing the point; do you have an
example where this would be useful?

            regards, tom lane

Re: pgsql-server/src/bin/psql print.c

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
> "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> writes:
> > Ah ok - so it's something that went in while I wasn't
> subscribed.  Do you
> > now allow this as well?
>
> > CREATE TABLE test ();
>
> No.  In theory we could, but I'm not seeing the point; do you have an
> example where this would be useful?

Not in the slightest - it'd just be consistent ;)

I don't advocate implementing it either!

Chris