Обсуждение: pgsql/src/bin/pgaccess/lib database.tcl mainli ...

pgsql/src/bin/pgaccess/lib database.tcl mainli ...

CVSROOT:    /home/projects/pgsql/cvsroot
Module name:    pgsql
Changes by:    tgl@hub.org    01/02/07 16:30:12

Modified files:
    src/bin/pgaccess/lib: database.tcl mainlib.tcl

Log message:
    Redo pgaccess' queries about views so that they will work in both 7.1
    and prior releases --- rely on pg_views view instead of direct access
    to pg_class and pg_rewrite.

Re: pgsql/src/bin/pgaccess/lib database.tcl mainli ...

Дата:
Tom, we really can't modify these because Constantin keeps the master
copies.  Can you send a diff to him so he can roll it into the next
release?

> CVSROOT:    /home/projects/pgsql/cvsroot
> Module name:    pgsql
> Changes by:    tgl@hub.org    01/02/07 16:30:12
>
> Modified files:
>     src/bin/pgaccess/lib: database.tcl mainlib.tcl
>
> Log message:
>     Redo pgaccess' queries about views so that they will work in both 7.1
>     and prior releases --- rely on pg_views view instead of direct access
>     to pg_class and pg_rewrite.

Re: pgsql/src/bin/pgaccess/lib database.tcl mainli ...

Дата:
> Tom, we really can't modify these because Constantin keeps the master
> copies.  Can you send a diff to him so he can roll it into the next
> release?

I don't think that's a very tenable policy for code that we keep in our
CVS tree.  Any kind of search-and-replace change is likely to hit
pgaccess as well as other code; are you going to always be alert enough
to slap people on the wrist when they make a change without thinking who
owns the "master" file?

Perhaps we should remove pgaccess from our CVS tree and have it be
shipped as a separate package.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pgsql/src/bin/pgaccess/lib database.tcl mainli ...

Дата:
> > Tom, we really can't modify these because Constantin keeps the master
> > copies.  Can you send a diff to him so he can roll it into the next
> > release?
>
> I don't think that's a very tenable policy for code that we keep in our
> CVS tree.  Any kind of search-and-replace change is likely to hit
> pgaccess as well as other code; are you going to always be alert enough
> to slap people on the wrist when they make a change without thinking who
> owns the "master" file?
>
> Perhaps we should remove pgaccess from our CVS tree and have it be
> shipped as a separate package.

Seems to have worked well in the past.  Constantin has a different
release schedule than we do, and packages MSWin libraries with his
tarball.

Re: pgsql/src/bin/pgaccess/lib database.tcl mainli ...

От
Constantin Teodorescu
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Tom, we really can't modify these because Constantin keeps the master
> > > copies.  Can you send a diff to him so he can roll it into the next
> > > release?
> >
> > I don't think that's a very tenable policy for code that we keep in our
> > CVS tree.  Any kind of search-and-replace change is likely to hit
> > pgaccess as well as other code; are you going to always be alert enough
> > to slap people on the wrist when they make a change without thinking who
> > owns the "master" file?
> >
> > Perhaps we should remove pgaccess from our CVS tree and have it be
> > shipped as a separate package.
>
> Seems to have worked well in the past.  Constantin has a different
> release schedule than we do, and packages MSWin libraries with his
> tarball.

I think that the best sollution is to syncronize now the sources, leave
pgaccess in CVS and from that moment I'll work on the "official" sources
in your CVS. I will need just a couple of hours to experiment a bit with
that strange thing (I never worked with CVS's :-( ) but, hey, it should
be a start for all, isn't it?

From that moment, the sources will be easy to update.

What do you think?

Constantin Teodorescu

Re: pgsql/src/bin/pgaccess/lib database.tcl mainli ...

Дата:
> > > Perhaps we should remove pgaccess from our CVS tree and have it be
> > > shipped as a separate package.
> >
> > Seems to have worked well in the past.  Constantin has a different
> > release schedule than we do, and packages MSWin libraries with his
> > tarball.
>
> I think that the best sollution is to syncronize now the sources, leave
> pgaccess in CVS and from that moment I'll work on the "official" sources
> in your CVS. I will need just a couple of hours to experiment a bit with
> that strange thing (I never worked with CVS's :-( ) but, hey, it should
> be a start for all, isn't it?
>
> >From that moment, the sources will be easy to update.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Constantin Teodorescu

Sounds great.  Let us know if you need help.