Обсуждение: BUG #12749: WARNING: unrecognized node type: 701

BUG #12749: WARNING: unrecognized node type: 701

От
deanelliotdeloach@hotmail.com
Дата:

Bug reference:      12749
Logged by:          Dean
Email address:      deanelliotdeloach@hotmail.com
PostgreSQL version: Unsupported/Unknown
Operating system:   Linux

PostgreSQL 8.2.15 (Greenplum Database 4.2.6.3 build 2) on
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.4.2 compiled on Oct  7
2013 15:24:14   by way of Datadirect Wire Protocol version 7.0  SELECT from
GP DB, receiving error of "WARNING: unrecognized node type: 701"  returned
SELECTed data is always missing one record from what is expected ( ex.
source table has 20 records, only 19 are returned )

Re: BUG #12749: WARNING: unrecognized node type: 701

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
On 09/02/15 13:04, deanelliotdeloach@hotmail.com wrote:

> PostgreSQL 8.2.15 (Greenplum Database 4.2.6.3 build 2)

It is probably best to raise this with Greenplum (Pivotal these days).

Cheers

Mark

Re: BUG #12749: WARNING: unrecognized node type: 701

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 10:53 AM, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> On 09/02/15 13:04, deanelliotdeloach@hotmail.com wrote:
>> PostgreSQL 8.2.15 (Greenplum Database 4.2.6.3 build 2)
>
> It is probably best to raise this with Greenplum (Pivotal these days).

Yup, there is nothing we can really do, and 8.2 is out of community
support since the end of 2011.
--
Michael

Re: BUG #12749: WARNING: unrecognized node type: 701

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
On 10/02/15 16:54, dean deloach wrote:
> Thanks for the response guys, really appreciate it.  Turns out, it has
> something to do with the log_statement config parameter on the DB.  The
> DBA changed and no one knew...these are the results we get when we
> attempt to pull data from the GP instance via Datadirect drivers, for
> different log_statement config values:
>

> log_statement=all  - returns n records, no errors logged in Greenplum
> log file
>
> log_statement=none  - returns n records, no errors logged in Greenplum
> log file
>
> log_statement=mod  - returns n-1 records, "unknown node: 701" error
> logged in Greenplum log file
>
> log_statement=ddl  - returns n-1 records, "unknown node: 701" error
> logged in Greenplum log file

That is pretty scary - I'd still recommend raising it with Pivotal -
logging options changing the results of queries is ...*unexpected*...to
put it mildly!

Cheers

Mark

Re: BUG #12749: WARNING: unrecognized node type: 701

Дата:
Mark Kirkwood <mark.kirkwood@catalyst.net.nz> writes:
> On 10/02/15 16:54, dean deloach wrote:
>> Thanks for the response guys, really appreciate it.  Turns out, it has
>> something to do with the log_statement config parameter on the DB.  The
>> DBA changed and no one knew...these are the results we get when we
>> attempt to pull data from the GP instance via Datadirect drivers, for
>> different log_statement config values:
>>

>> log_statement=all  - returns n records, no errors logged in Greenplum
>> log file
>>
>> log_statement=none  - returns n records, no errors logged in Greenplum
>> log file
>>
>> log_statement=mod  - returns n-1 records, "unknown node: 701" error
>> logged in Greenplum log file
>>
>> log_statement=ddl  - returns n-1 records, "unknown node: 701" error
>> logged in Greenplum log file
>>

> That is pretty scary - I'd still recommend raising it with Pivotal -
> logging options changing the results of queries is ...*unexpected*...to
> put it mildly!

Given the described behavior, I'd bet a lot that it means somebody
missed a case in GetCommandLogLevel().  Which makes it annoying, but
not especially scary except for the fact that the failure is causing
it to abort the user query too soon.

FWIW, the phrase "unknown node" does not appear in the community Postgres
sources, either now or back in 8.2; it would violate our message style
guidelines to write it like that.  So this is coming from some
Greenplum-added code, and you definitely have to talk to them about it.

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #12749: WARNING: unrecognized node type: 701

От
dean deloach
Дата:
thanks for the response Tom=2C I think the GP consultant made a mistake tho=
ugh=2C he should have wrote "unrecognized node"...but then again=2C I'm not=
 privy to the GP-side trace-output logs=2C I'll check with him on that...st=
ill can't believe they think it's an ODBC error..
=20
I saw the actual code you were referring to in utility.c=2C and the default=
 for the CASE statement at the end=2C right along with the "unrecognized no=
de type %d" error output message.  I'm sure it's some bug/outdated bin on t=
he GP side..I can't see how a SELECT statement against a DB would cause a s=
kipped record=2C under any type of log setting in a DB
=20
Thank you again=2C to both of you for the responses...really appreciate it =
a 'bunch=2C very helpful..
=20
                           =

Re: BUG #12749: WARNING: unrecognized node type: 701

От
dean deloach
Дата:
Thanks for the response guys=2C really appreciate it.  Turns out=2C it has =
something to do with the log_statement config parameter on the DB.  The DBA=
 changed and no one knew...these are the results we get when we attempt to =
pull data from the GP instance via Datadirect drivers=2C for different log_=
statement config values:
=20
=20
log_statement=3Dall  - returns n records=2C no errors logged in Greenplum l=
og file log_statement=3Dnone  - returns n records=2C no errors logged in Gr=
eenplum log file log_statement=3Dmod  - returns n-1 records=2C "unknown nod=
e: 701" error logged in Greenplum log file log_statement=3Dddl  - returns n=
-1 records=2C "unknown node: 701" error logged in Greenplum log file Dean=20

                           =

Re: BUG #12749: WARNING: unrecognized node type: 701

От
dean deloach
Дата:
for sure=2C we have a bug open with Pivotal...the consultants we have are s=
aying it's an Datadirect ODBC driver bug - WTF???  So when I SELECT from GP=
 via ODBC=2C and by changing the log settings on the DB=2C I can get the DB=
 to skip a record=2C and that's a bug with the calling function...??????
=20

                           =

Re: BUG #12749: WARNING: unrecognized node type: 701

От
dean deloach
Дата:
Turns out=2C and engineer at Pivotal=2C Shawn Yan=2C sent out an email to o=
ur team=2C acknowledging that is a known bug with GP=2C when connecting via=
 ODBC/JDBC=2C and that the workaround is in fact=2C to change the log_state=
ment setting to either 'all' or 'none'
Dean=20

                           =