Обсуждение: BUG #9478: Greenplum External Table definitions

BUG #9478: Greenplum External Table definitions

От
mgerstein@gopivotal.com
Дата:

Bug reference:      9478
Logged by:          Michael Gerstein
Email address:      mgerstein@gopivotal.com
PostgreSQL version: Unsupported/Unknown
Operating system:   Linux

"PostgreSQL 8.2.15 (Greenplum Database 4.3.0.0 build 3) on
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.4.2 compiled on Nov 23
2013 01:22:06"

After the version 1.10.5 external table definition is broken for Greenplum
database.
While the query properly returns the datatypes for the columns (checked in
Greenplum), the types are not shown in the table definition. Since Ext.
table definition is in separate file in the souce, I guess, there is the bug
somewhere there, which omits column types.

Re: BUG #9478: Greenplum External Table definitions

> "PostgreSQL 8.2.15 (Greenplum Database 4.3.0.0 build 3) on
> x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.4.2 compiled on Nov 23
> 2013 01:22:06"
>
> After the version 1.10.5 external table definition is broken for Greenplum
> database.
> While the query properly returns the datatypes for the columns (checked in
> Greenplum), the types are not shown in the table definition. Since Ext.
> table definition is in separate file in the souce, I guess, there is the bug
> somewhere there, which omits column types.

This is a Greenplum bug, rather than a Postgres one.  I suggest you
contact Greenplum.

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: BUG #9478: Greenplum External Table definitions

Дата:
On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 09:05:12PM -0400, Michael Gerstein wrote:
> It is not  a Greenplum bug, because the query is working fine in Greenplum and
> returns proper values. Besides, the version 1.10.5 works correctly.
> This functionality was broken after the version of 1.10.5 in pgAdmin

Well, I am not sure how I was supposed to guess that pgadmin was
involved here.   I suggest you report it to them then.

> Michael Gerstein | Architect
>
> Pivotal | www.GoPivotal.com
>
> m: +1.732.768.9891 | e: mgerstein@gopivotal.com
>

> On Mar 18, 2014, at 9:00 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>

>     On Fri, Mar  7, 2014 at 09:07:10PM +0000, mgerstein@gopivotal.com wrote:
>
>         The following bug has been logged on the website:
>
>         Bug reference:      9478
>         Logged by:          Michael Gerstein
>         Email address:      mgerstein@gopivotal.com
>         PostgreSQL version: Unsupported/Unknown
>         Operating system:   Linux
>
>         "PostgreSQL 8.2.15 (Greenplum Database 4.3.0.0 build 3) on
>         x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.4.2 compiled on
>         Nov 23
>         2013 01:22:06"
>
>         After the version 1.10.5 external table definition is broken for
>         Greenplum
>         database.
>         While the query properly returns the datatypes for the columns (checked
>         in
>         Greenplum), the types are not shown in the table definition. Since Ext.
>         table definition is in separate file in the souce, I guess, there is
>         the bug
>         somewhere there, which omits column types.
>

>     This is a Greenplum bug, rather than a Postgres one.  I suggest you
>     contact Greenplum.
>
>     --
>      Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
>      EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com
>
>      + Everyone has their own god. +

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: BUG #9478: Greenplum External Table definitions

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
On 19/03/14 14:14, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 09:05:12PM -0400, Michael Gerstein wrote:
>> It is not  a Greenplum bug, because the query is working fine in Greenplum and
>> returns proper values. Besides, the version 1.10.5 works correctly.
>> This functionality was broken after the version of 1.10.5 in pgAdmin
> Well, I am not sure how I was supposed to guess that pgadmin was
> involved here.   I suggest you report it to them then.

Or perhaps persuade the Greenplum/Pivotal folks to do an enhancement to
Pgadmin so it understands these (and any other) schema objects that do
not exist in standard Postgres.

Cheers

Mark

Re: BUG #9478: Greenplum External Table definitions

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
On 19/03/14 15:28, Michael Gerstein wrote:
> I just complained that this functionality was working properly and does not work anymore after 1.10.5 release…

Ah yes (and I see from your email that you are from Pivotal)... looking
at the pgadmin-hackers list archives shows that Chuck supplied a patch
:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/2106D8DC89010842BABA5CD03FEA406172D32ED9@EXVMBX018-10.exch018.msoutlookonline.net

that appears to include external table support. I'd suggest that said
list is the place to inquire further. Alternatively (or as well) you
could get the current Pgadmin source and check if the patch is been
reverted in the current release...

Regards

Mark

Re: BUG #9478: Greenplum External Table definitions

От
Michael Gerstein
Дата:
I just complained that this functionality was working properly and does =
not work anymore after 1.10.5 release=85

Michael Gerstein | Architect=20

Pivotal | www.GoPivotal.com

m: +1.732.768.9891 | e: mgerstein@gopivotal.com

On Mar 18, 2014, at 10:14 PM, Mark Kirkwood =
<mark.kirkwood@catalyst.net.nz> wrote:

> On 19/03/14 14:14, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 09:05:12PM -0400, Michael Gerstein wrote:
>>> It is not  a Greenplum bug, because the query is working fine in =
Greenplum and
>>> returns proper values. Besides, the version 1.10.5 works correctly.
>>> This functionality was broken after the version of 1.10.5 in pgAdmin
>> Well, I am not sure how I was supposed to guess that pgadmin was
>> involved here.   I suggest you report it to them then.
>>=20
>=20
> Or perhaps persuade the Greenplum/Pivotal folks to do an enhancement =
to Pgadmin so it understands these (and any other) schema objects that =
do not exist in standard Postgres.
>=20
> Cheers
>=20
> Mark

Re: BUG #9478: Greenplum External Table definitions

От
Michael Gerstein
Дата:
It is not  a Greenplum bug, because the query is working fine in =
Greenplum and returns proper values. Besides, the version 1.10.5 works =
correctly.
This functionality was broken after the version of 1.10.5 in pgAdmin
Michael Gerstein | Architect=20

Pivotal | www.GoPivotal.com

m: +1.732.768.9891 | e: mgerstein@gopivotal.com

On Mar 18, 2014, at 9:00 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar  7, 2014 at 09:07:10PM +0000, mgerstein@gopivotal.com =
wrote:
>> The following bug has been logged on the website:
>>=20
>> Bug reference:      9478
>> Logged by:          Michael Gerstein
>> Email address:      mgerstein@gopivotal.com
>> PostgreSQL version: Unsupported/Unknown
>> Operating system:   Linux=20
>>=20
>> "PostgreSQL 8.2.15 (Greenplum Database 4.3.0.0 build 3) on
>> x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.4.2 compiled on =
Nov 23
>> 2013 01:22:06"
>>=20
>> After the version 1.10.5 external table definition is broken for =
Greenplum
>> database.
>> While the query properly returns the datatypes for the columns =
(checked in
>> Greenplum), the types are not shown in the table definition. Since =
Ext.
>> table definition is in separate file in the souce, I guess, there is =
the bug
>> somewhere there, which omits column types.
>=20
> This is a Greenplum bug, rather than a Postgres one.  I suggest you
> contact Greenplum.
>=20
> --=20
>  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
>  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com
>=20
>  + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: BUG #9478: Greenplum External Table definitions

От
Michael Gerstein
Дата:
I posted the bug on pgadmin site