Обсуждение: BUG #5685: Installer Error

BUG #5685: Installer Error

От
"Keenan"
Дата:

Bug reference:      5685
Logged by:          Keenan
Email address:      quiksilver5646@hotmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.0.0-1
Operating system:   Windows XP
Details:

I am trying to use the one-click installer to install PostgreSQL and I get
an error message that says:

"An error occurred executing the Microsoft VC++ runtime installer"

Any ideas how to fix this?

Re: BUG #5685: Installer Error

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 9:33 PM, Keenan <quiksilver5646@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Bug reference: =A0 =A0 =A05685
> Logged by: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Keenan
> Email address: =A0 =A0 =A0quiksilver5646@hotmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.0.0-1
> Operating system: =A0 Windows XP
> Details:
>
> I am trying to use the one-click installer to install PostgreSQL and I get
> an error message that says:
>
> "An error occurred executing the Microsoft VC++ runtime installer"
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?

Can you post the logfile from %TEMP% please?

--=20
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: BUG #5685: Installer Error

От
Dave Page
Дата:
[Please keep replies on list]

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 6:15 PM,  <quiksilver5646@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure there is a logfile.=A0 When I click on the installer, the
> PostgreSQL splash screen comes up (small blue rectangular box) and then it
> goes away and the error message pops up.=A0 I can't even get to any sort =
of
> install wizard.

There should be - it starts getting written before the splash screen
is shown. It'll be in %TEMP% (for the user account that ran the
installer), and will probably be called bitrock_installer_xxx.log,
where xxx is a number.

--=20
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: BUG #5685: Installer Error

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi,

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 6:41 PM,  <quiksilver5646@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Script output:
> =A0CScript Error: Can't find script engine "VBScript" for script "C:\Docu=
ments
> and Settings\Keenan\Local
> Settings\Temp\postgresql_installer\installruntimes.vbs".

Thanks for the logs. The output above tells me that the VBscript
interpreter on your machine is broken somehow. Google has a bunch of
hits for that error message, most of which suggest you can often fix
it by clicking Start -> Run, and then entering and running the
following:

regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\vbscript.dll

You should see a messagebox which says something like:

DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded.

If that fails, try updating the script interpretor to the latest
version - eg. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3Dc7=
17d943-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&displaylang=3Den

--=20
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: BUG #5685: Installer Error

От
Дата:
Here is the log for my previously posted error:

Log started 09/30/10 at 10:12:19
Preferred installation mode : qt
Trying to init installer in mode qt
Mode qt successfully initialized
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installa=
tions\postgresql-9.0 Data Directory. Setting variable iDataDirectory to emp=
ty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installa=
tions\postgresql-9.0 Base Directory. Setting variable iBaseDirectory to emp=
ty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installa=
tions\postgresql-9.0 Service ID. Setting variable iServiceName to empty val=
ue
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installa=
tions\postgresql-9.0 Service Account. Setting variable iServiceAccount to e=
mpty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installa=
tions\postgresql-9.0 Super User. Setting variable iSuperuser to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installa=
tions\postgresql-9.0 Branding. Setting variable iBranding to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installa=
tions\postgresql-9.0 Version. Setting variable brandingVer to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installa=
tions\postgresql-9.0 Shortcuts. Setting variable iShortcut to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installa=
tions\postgresql-9.0 DisableStackBuilder. Setting variable iDisableStackBui=
lder to empty value
[10:12:28] Existing base directory:=20
[10:12:28] Existing data directory:=20
[10:12:28] Using branding: PostgreSQL 9.0
[10:12:28] Using Super User: postgres and Service Account: postgres
[10:12:28] Using Service Name: postgresql-9.0
Executing cscript //NoLogo "C:\Documents and Settings\Keenan\Local Settings=
\Temp\postgresql_installer\installruntimes.vbs" "C:\Documents and Settings\=
Keenan\Local Settings\Temp\postgresql_installer\vcredist_x86.exe"
Script exit code: 1

Script output:
 CScript Error: Can't find script engine "VBScript" for script "C:\Document=
s and Settings\Keenan\Local Settings\Temp\postgresql_installer\installrunti=
mes.vbs".

Script stderr:
 Program ended with an error exit code

Error running cscript //NoLogo "C:\Documents and Settings\Keenan\Local Sett=
ings\Temp\postgresql_installer\installruntimes.vbs" "C:\Documents and Setti=
ngs\Keenan\Local Settings\Temp\postgresql_installer\vcredist_x86.exe" : Pro=
gram ended with an error exit code

=20=09=09=20=09=20=20=20=09=09=20=20=

Re: BUG #5685: Installer Error

От
Дата:
> [...]

> From: dpage@pgadmin.org
> To: quiksilver5646@hotmail.com
> CC: pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
>=20
> [Please keep replies on list]
>=20
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 6:15 PM,  <quiksilver5646@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm not sure there is a logfile.  When I click on the installer, the
> > PostgreSQL splash screen comes up (small blue rectangular box) and then=
 it
> > goes away and the error message pops up.  I can't even get to any sort =
of
> > install wizard.
>=20
> There should be - it starts getting written before the splash screen
> is shown. It'll be in %TEMP% (for the user account that ran the
> installer), and will probably be called bitrock_installer_xxx.log,

Thank you very much!  That did the trick!

> Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 21:04:20 +0100
> Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #5685: Installer Error
> From: dpage@pgadmin.org
> To: quiksilver5646@hotmail.com
> CC: pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 6:41 PM,  <quiksilver5646@hotmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> > Script output:
> >  CScript Error: Can't find script engine "VBScript" for script "C:\Docu=
ments
> > and Settings\Keenan\Local
> > Settings\Temp\postgresql_installer\installruntimes.vbs".
>=20
> Thanks for the logs. The output above tells me that the VBscript
> interpreter on your machine is broken somehow. Google has a bunch of
> hits for that error message, most of which suggest you can often fix
> it by clicking Start -> Run, and then entering and running the
> following:
>=20
> regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\vbscript.dll
>=20
> You should see a messagebox which says something like:
>=20
> DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded.
>=20
> If that fails, try updating the script interpretor to the latest
> version - eg. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3D=
c717d943-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&displaylang=3Den
>=20
> --=20
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake
>=20
> The Enterprise Postgres Company
=20=09=09=20=09=20=20=20=09=09=20=20=

Re: BUG #5685: Installer Error

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 10/01/2010 05:01 AM, quiksilver5646@hotmail.com wrote:
 >  > regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\vbscript.dll
 >  >
 >  > You should see a messagebox which says something like:
 >  >
 >  > DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded.
 >
> Thank you very much!  That did the trick!

Given the increasing number of VBScript issues that're popping up (even
if it's just due to increasing downloads by a broader user base),
perhaps the installer needs to test the VBScript engine before trying to
run a script that does real work?

Invoking a script that does nothing,  or perhaps prints a short success
message, might help separate initdb and genuine runtime install issues
from vbscript issues. It'd also permit the installer to offer the advice
you (Dave) just offered to the user in an error dialog, possibly helping
some people fix their systems without further intervention.

Just an idea.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: BUG #5685: Installer Error

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 4:21 AM, Craig Ringer
<craig@postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
> On 10/01/2010 05:01 AM, quiksilver5646@hotmail.com wrote:
>> =A0> regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\vbscript.dll
>> =A0>
>> =A0> You should see a messagebox which says something like:
>> =A0>
>> =A0> DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded.
>>

>> Thank you very much! =A0That did the trick!
>
> Given the increasing number of VBScript issues that're popping up (even if
> it's just due to increasing downloads by a broader user base), perhaps the
> installer needs to test the VBScript engine before trying to run a script
> that does real work?
>
> Invoking a script that does nothing, =A0or perhaps prints a short success
> message, might help separate initdb and genuine runtime install issues fr=
om
> vbscript issues. It'd also permit the installer to offer the advice you
> (Dave) just offered to the user in an error dialog, possibly helping some
> people fix their systems without further intervention.
>
> Just an idea.

That's what I was working on last night when I emailed you offlist :-)