Обсуждение: BUG #5667: install failure

BUG #5667: install failure

От
"Roedy Green"
Дата:

Bug reference:      5667
Logged by:          Roedy Green
Email address:      roedyg@mindprod.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.0.0.
Operating system:   Windows 7, 64 bit
Details:

I executed  postgresql-9.0.0-1-windows_x64.exe
It died with a message:

"An error occured executing VC++ runtime installer."

I had similar problems with version 8.  People gave me various things to
try. None of it worked.  I gave up on PostgresSQL.  I decided to try again
with v 9.0.0.

I would really like it you stopped using this flaky installer.

Re: BUG #5667: install failure

От
Craig Ringer
On 21/09/2010 4:49 AM, Roedy Green wrote:

> Bug reference:      5667
> Logged by:          Roedy Green
> Email address:      roedyg@mindprod.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.0.0.
> Operating system:   Windows 7, 64 bit
> Details:
>
> I executed  postgresql-9.0.0-1-windows_x64.exe
> It died with a message:
>
> "An error occured executing VC++ runtime installer."
>
> I had similar problems with version 8.  People gave me various things to
> try. None of it worked.  I gave up on PostgresSQL.  I decided to try again
> with v 9.0.0.
>
> I would really like it you stopped using this flaky installer.

One might perhaps question whether your system has a part in the
flakiness. Your experience is unusual, not the norm, and there is
something odd going on with your machine if the VC++ runtime won't install.

I don't see your name in my local mailing list archives, but they only
your name and "runtime installer" doesn't find anything relevant. Can
you provide a link to your previous question(s) in the archives so we
can get some background on this issue?

It'd also help to know:

- If you run the installer from the command line as:

     postgresql-9.0.0-1-windows.exe --install_runtimes 0

   does it install without error?

- If the VC++ runtime installer executes successfully when run stand-
   alone? You can unpack the VC++ runtime installer by running the Pg
   installer as:

   postgresql-9.0.0-1-windows.exe --extract-only 1 --prefix "%TEMP%\pg9"

   Now you can open an Administrator-rights cmd.exe window by hitting
   Start, entering "command", waiting until "command prompt" appears,
   right-clicking on it and choosing "run as administrator". Into the
   cmd.exe window that appears enter:

   cd "%TEMP%\pg9\installer"
   dir

   You'll see the Visual C++ runtime installer (vcredist) and the
   vbscript used to invoke it.

   Run the vbcscript by typing "install" and pressing tab, pressing
   space, typing "vcredist" and pressing tab, then pressing enter.

   You should get a message saying vcredist is being installed, a
   progress bar, then a message saying it installed successfully.

- If you have a virus scanner or software firewall on your system.

- If you have the same problem on a clean Windows 7 install, prior to
adding a virus scanner or other local software. I realise this might not
be practical for you to test, but it'd be useful for diagnostic purposes.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: BUG #5667: install failure

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Roedy Green <roedyg@mindprod.com> wrote:
> I executed =A0postgresql-9.0.0-1-windows_x64.exe
> It died with a message:
>
> "An error occured executing VC++ runtime installer."
>
> I had similar problems with version 8. =A0People gave me various things to
> try. None of it worked. =A0I gave up on PostgresSQL. =A0I decided to try =
again
> with v 9.0.0.
>
> I would really like it you stopped using this flaky installer.

Hmm, if by that you mean 8.0, a lot of things have changed since then.
 I'm not even sure we're using the same installer technology now that
we did then.  But in any case it does work for an awful lot of other
people.  I installed 9.0rc1 on a Windows 7 VM just a few weeks ago,
and it worked fine.  Of course, that does nothing to solve your
problem.  But we do need to try to understand what is different about
your system than the systems of people who are not having this
problem, because otherwise it's pretty hard to fix.

--=20
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: BUG #5667: install failure

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
Roedy replied only to me, not to the list, so I'm reproducing his post
verbatim below. Sorry about the top-post, but I want to preserve his
reply intact.

Roedy: please use "reply all" so others can benefit from the discussion too.

Roedy notes in his mail that "I use the Take Command command interpreter
from JPSoft to launch the exe". Presumably the installer executable,
though it'd be nice to confirm this.

I'm wondering if Take Command might be messing up the environment,
possibly in a way that's causing vbs execution to fail.

A good start would be to take this Take Command software out of the
equation completely and see if the problem can still be reproduced.
Roedy: please try running the installer directly from the normal Windows
shell, or preferably on a machine without Take Command on it, and see if
you can reproduce the problem.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: BUG #5667: install failure

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 28/09/10 15:51, Roedy Green wrote:

> I ran this using the standard Windows cmd processor.  I got exactly the
> same behaviour as with JPSoft Take Command.

I assume you mean "the same behaviour as the above command run with Take
Command" - because the initial issue you reported was with the runtimes
failing to install, and the above command shouldn't have attempted to
install the runtimes.

Did you try running the installer in extract-only mode, and then running
the runtime install script manually? This would be a useful diagnostic
test. I explained it in my previous mail, but you said you hadn't tried
it yet because you thought it only had to be done when the installer
succeeded. The point is that you run the installer in extract-only mode,
which should succeed if the problem is in fact with the scripts, then
you run the scripts manually. I'll quote what I said earlier:

------------------------------

- Does the VC++ runtime installer executes successfully when run stand-
  alone? You can unpack the VC++ runtime installer by running the Pg
  installer as:

  postgresql-9.0.0-1-windows.exe --extract-only 1 --prefix "%TEMP%\pg9"

  This should succeed, even if the installer normally fails. If it
  still fails, please mention that along with the error it reports,
  and don't try to continue with these instructions.

  If the extract-only installer run does succeed:

  Now you can open an Administrator-rights cmd.exe window by hitting
  Start, entering "command", waiting until "command prompt" appears,
  right-clicking on it and choosing "run as administrator". Into the
  cmd.exe window that appears enter:

  cd "%TEMP%\pg9\installer"
  dir

  You'll see the Visual C++ runtime installer (vcredist) and the
  vbscript used to invoke it.

  Run the vbcscript by typing "install" and pressing tab, pressing
  space, typing "vcredist" and pressing tab, then pressing enter.

  You should get a message saying vcredist is being installed, a
  progress bar, then a message saying it installed successfully.

------------------------------

Anyway, this is looking pretty strange. It's really hard to know what on
your machine is throwing the installer out of whack, and without knowing
what's going on it's hard to know what if anything can be done to make
the installer more robust.

Do you have any Group Policy on the machine, by any chance?

There seems to be something wrong with execution of the vbs scripts on
your machine, but it's not clear what exactly it is. I wonder how many
of the other installer-related issues are with vbs script execution too?

At this point it's beyond anything I can do without access to your
machine and/or the installer sources. I don't have either. If I were
sitting at your machine right now, I'd be firing up Process Monitor from
sysinternals and leaving it to run for a little while to build an
impression of the background activity on the machine. Then I'd fire up
the PostgreSQL installer and record the activity in Process Monitor.
After that I'd spend an extended period of rather tedious time poring
over the logs trying to see what might be going wrong.

I guess you could possibly install Process Monitor and the rest of the
sysinternals suite from:

  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb842062.aspx

then collect the process monitor data, export it, upload it somewhere,
and post a link on the list. I seem to remember that process monitor's
export format is MUCH less useful than it's live format, though, so I
don't know if it'll be much help.

Hopefully one of the EnterpriseDB folks will be able to look into what's
happening here, time permitting. They're doing the Windows installer as
a free service to the community after all. I'm toward the end of what I
can do in terms of diagnosis and data collection.

--
Craig Ringer

Tech-related writing: http://soapyfrogs.blogspot.com/

Re: BUG #5667: install failure

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 9:04 AM, Craig Ringer
<craig@postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
> Hopefully one of the EnterpriseDB folks will be able to look into what's
> happening here, time permitting. They're doing the Windows installer as
> a free service to the community after all. I'm toward the end of what I
> can do in terms of diagnosis and data collection.

Thanks Craig - I've been keeping half an eye on this thread, but
otherwise leaving you to it :-)

Can you post the logfile from %TEMP% please Roedy? Also, is there
anything on your machine that would prevent vbscripts from running in
the cscript.exe scripting host?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com