Обсуждение: Before I call it a bug - some comments and questions

Before I call it a bug - some comments and questions

От
Michael Felt
Дата:
I have just run compiled postgres on AIX (AIX 5.3, pgsql version 8.4.4) and
have a few surprises regarding the make process.

1. Very nice - it found gmake as /usr/local/bin/make and called GNUmakefile
2. The make completes and it starts a test.
-- As I build, generally, as root - this failed because initdb does not want
to run as root
-- su to another user after changing ownership of the files, fails because
not enough space (maybe check for space)
-- enlarge filesystem, run make again, tests all succeed, and then make
fails trying to install docs (not root!)
--- why is the initial make installing/copying anything outside of the
project directory (in this case it was /usr/local/pgsql if I recall
correctly).
--- My non-root user has no right to write there, so the "build" failed
again.

3. A question: what is the best way to get the make process to install in a
alturnate directory. Some projects use an environment variable.

4. Minor point: why is /usr/local/include not in the -I list by default? I
had to add CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include for configure to complete.

Regards,
Michael

Re: Before I call it a bug - some comments and questions

Дата:
Michael Felt <mamfelt@gmail.com> writes:
> -- As I build, generally, as root - this failed because initdb does not want
> to run as root

Many people regard that as bad practice ...

> --- why is the initial make installing/copying anything outside of the
> project directory (in this case it was /usr/local/pgsql if I recall
> correctly).

Because that's the default installation prefix.

> 3. A question: what is the best way to get the make process to install in a
> alturnate directory. Some projects use an environment variable.

configure --prefix=/some/path

> 4. Minor point: why is /usr/local/include not in the -I list by default?

That would be something to ask your compiler vendor.  It's no business
of postgres' to assume that some non-default -I switches are
appropriate.  I believe that gcc is very often configured to include
/usr/local in its default -I path, but that's up to local custom.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Before I call it a bug - some comments and questions

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
mamfelt@gmail.com (Michael Felt) writes:
> I have just run compiled postgres on AIX (AIX 5.3, pgsql version 8.4.4) and
> have a few surprises regarding the make process.
>
> 1. Very nice - it found gmake as /usr/local/bin/make and called GNUmakefile
> 2. The make completes and it starts a test.
> -- As I build, generally, as root - this failed because initdb does not want to
> run as root
> -- su to another user after changing ownership of the files, fails because not
> enough space (maybe check for space)
> -- enlarge filesystem, run make again, tests all succeed, and then make fails
> trying to install docs (not root!)
> --- why is the initial make installing/copying anything outside of the project
> directory (in this case it was /usr/local/pgsql if I recall correctly).
> --- My non-root user has no right to write there, so the "build" failed again.
>
> 3. A question: what is the best way to get the make process to install in a
> alturnate directory. Some projects use an environment variable.

See the output of

./configure --help

Commonly, I find it sufficient to specify the alternate location via:

   ./configure --prefix=/path/where/pg/stuff/should/live

That implies bin/, include/, share/, lib/ and other such target
directories.  If you have very specific needs, configure options should
hopefully accommodate them.

> 4. Minor point: why is /usr/local/include not in the -I list by default? I had
> to add CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include for configure to complete.

That's not a standard place to put #include files across all of the
operating systems on which Postgres runs, so it wouldn't be proper to
have it as a default.

Not all systems have /usr/local/include, and on some systems, adding
this would point the compile to *wrong* code.  Consider the case where
an engineer at a company like Red Hat (Tom? ;-)) is building official
packages for a Linux distribution.

- On the machine where the build is being done, there might well exist a
  /usr/local/include directory.

- But it shouldn't be used, because the *right* #includes to use for the
  build are in /usr/include.

- They might have /usr/local/include there specifically as a test that
  programs should *NOT* be referencing it without specific instruction
  to do so!  I could imagine stowing #includes there that are designed
  to make stuff break.  Probably not a good thing on an Official Build
  Server, but an excellent torture test for a QA server :-).

--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "gmail.com")
The statistics on  sanity are that one out of  every four Americans is

Re: Before I call it a bug - some comments and questions

От
Michael Felt
Дата:
Tom and Chris - thank you for your answers. There are several reasons for
not including /usr/local/include. Some of those reasons are that I do not
want to be adding files to /usr/include - when it concerns dependencies I
have had to build before getting started. But that is my choice. No further
comment.

And while I can understand that pgsql should not run as root, I usually
build as root - so the automatic testing fails. When I ran make as 'michael'
the test failed but an installation to /usr/local started (and failed,
fortunately).

Perhaps it has to do with gmake not being my default make, but what I would
like to see (and what I recall from when I built an version 8.4.2
distribution) is that make just compile it, make test - install it, and
ideally, without modifying the configure command, be able to make an install
to a "distr" area to construct a distribution in a native AIX format
(installp).

Re: the install to distribution area - I'll work on that myself, unless you
know something simple for me. However, I would appreciate suggestions on how
to get make be less all-inclusive.

Thanks again,
Michael

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Chris Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote:

> [...]
>  /usr/local/include directory.
>
> - But it shouldn't be used, because the *right* #includes to use for the
>  build are in /usr/include.
>
> - They might have /usr/local/include there specifically as a test that
>  programs should *NOT* be referencing it without specific instruction
>  to do so!  I could imagine stowing #includes there that are designed
>  to make stuff break.  Probably not a good thing on an Official Build
>  Server, but an excellent torture test for a QA server :-).
>
> --
> (format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "gmail.com")
> The statistics on  sanity are that one out of  every four Americans is
> suffering from some  form of mental illness. Think  of your three best
> friends. If they're okay, then it's you. -- Rita Mae Brown

Re: Before I call it a bug - some comments and questions

Дата:
Guess this means no further suggestions. I'll hack at it then.