Обсуждение: Installation problem "...The database cluster initialization failed.."

Installation problem "...The database cluster initialization failed.."

От
aerkain
Дата:
HI,
during installation of postgresql (8.3.5-2) I get error message:
"Installation may not complete correctly. The database cluster
initialization failed."

Some info:
- W Vista
- I cannot find any service: Postgre*
- Ive had installed Postgre before, but uninstalled it.
- Ive tried reinstall (after this incorrect installation), but did not help,
still same problem.
- Ive also tried uninstall; Delete all postre registry (via regedit); Delete
by cmd->net user postgres /delete; Delete all files in PostgreSQL
installation folder.

Any suggestions how install postgre correctly?

Thank you kindly for responce

Re: Installation problem "...The database cluster initialization failed.."

От
tiagoemerick
Дата:
I have de same problem.. with the same situations and conditions...

any one???

aerkain wrote:

> HI,
> during installation of postgresql (8.3.5-2) I get error message:
> "Installation may not complete correctly. The database cluster
> initialization failed."
>
> Some info:
> - W Vista
> - I cannot find any service: Postgre*
> - Ive had installed Postgre before, but uninstalled it.
> - Ive tried reinstall (after this incorrect installation), but did not
> help, still same problem.
> - Ive also tried uninstall; Delete all postre registry (via regedit);
> Delete by cmd->net user postgres /delete; Delete all files in PostgreSQL
> installation folder.
>
> Any suggestions how install postgre correctly?
>
> Thank you kindly for responce

Re: Installation problem "...The database cluster initialization failed.."

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 1:39 AM, tiagoemerick <tiagoemerick@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have de same problem.. with the same situations and conditions...
>
> any one???

Can you post the installation log (remove any passwords first, and
feel free to cut the list of files that we're copied). It lives in
%TEMP%.

> aerkain wrote:
>>
>> HI,
>> during installation of postgresql (8.3.5-2) I get error message:
>> "Installation may not complete correctly. The database cluster
>> initialization failed."
>>
>> Some info:
>> - W Vista
>> - I cannot find any service: Postgre*
>> - Ive had installed Postgre before, but uninstalled it.
>> - Ive tried reinstall (after this incorrect installation), but did not
>> help, still same problem.
>> - Ive also tried uninstall; Delete all postre registry (via regedit);
>> Delete by cmd->net user postgres /delete; Delete all files in PostgreSQL
>> installation folder.
>>
>> Any suggestions how install postgre correctly?
>>
>> Thank you kindly for responce

Dave Page

Re: Installation problem "...The database cluster initialization failed.."

От
aerkain
Дата:
Dave Page-7 wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 1:39 AM, tiagoemerick <tiagoemerick@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I have de same problem.. with the same situations and conditions...
>>
>> any one???
> Ok, I would like to do this, but where is installation log stored? I can
> find it. I am also unable to find any files with references to postgre in
> windows/temp folder.
>
> Info:
> - As I have mensioned before, during installation there was an error
> message, but I believe that installation process somehow did finishe.
> Because I have files in start/programs/Postgre 8.3 (see picture:
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p21369324/files.jpg files.jpg  and in program
> files ->:  http://www.nabble.com/file/p21369324/files2.jpg files2.jpg )
> But whe I try to run - start server:
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p21369324/StartServer.jpg StartServer.jpg  or
> restart server:  http://www.nabble.com/file/p21369324/restartServer.jpg
> restartServer.jpg ) It allways say something about not existing service..
>

> RE:
> Can you post the installation log (remove any passwords first, and
> feel free to cut the list of files that we're copied). It lives in
> %TEMP%.
>

>> aerkain wrote:
>>>
>>> HI,
>>> during installation of postgresql (8.3.5-2) I get error message:
>>> "Installation may not complete correctly. The database cluster
>>> initialization failed."
>>>
>>> Some info:
>>> - W Vista
>>> - I cannot find any service: Postgre*
>>> - Ive had installed Postgre before, but uninstalled it.
>>> - Ive tried reinstall (after this incorrect installation), but did not
>>> help, still same problem.
>>> - Ive also tried uninstall; Delete all postre registry (via regedit);
>>> Delete by cmd->net user postgres /delete; Delete all files in PostgreSQL
>>> installation folder.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions how install postgre correctly?
>>>
>>> Thank you kindly for responce
>>>

>> --

> Dave Page
> EnterpriseDB UK:   http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Installation problem "...The database cluster initialization failed.."

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 9:57 AM, aerkain <aerkain@seznam.cz> wrote:

>> Ok, I would like to do this, but where is installation log stored? I can
>> find it. I am also unable to find any files with references to postgre in
>> windows/temp folder.

It should be in %TEMP% as I said. I don't know where that is on your
system, but on mine its:

TEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\dpage\LOCALS~1\Temp

--
Dave Page

Re: Installation problem "...The database cluster initialization failed.."

От
aerkain
Дата:
Ok, Ive found it.
Here is file install-postgresql.log in original version (with replaced
password) http://www.nabble.com/file/p21370224/install-postgresql.log
install-postgresql.log
Here is same file without log info about copying/extractin files:
http://www.nabble.com/file/p21370224/install-postgresqlWithoutFilesLog.txt

Dave Page-7 wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 9:57 AM, aerkain <aerkain@seznam.cz> wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, I would like to do this, but where is installation log stored? I can
>>> find it. I am also unable to find any files with references to postgre
>>> in
>>> windows/temp folder.
>
> It should be in %TEMP% as I said. I don't know where that is on your
> system, but on mine its:
>
> TEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\dpage\LOCALS~1\Temp
>
> --
> Dave Page
> EnterpriseDB UK:   http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Installation problem "...The database cluster initialization failed.."

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 11:02 AM, aerkain <aerkain@seznam.cz> wrote:

> Ok, Ive found it.

It appears that initdb itself is failing. Is the data directory you
are trying to use an existing (but empty) directory? If so, please try
deleting it and re-installing.

Also, what OS is this exactly - vista?

--
Dave Page

Re: Installation problem "...The database cluster initialization failed.."

От
aerkain
Дата:
- It is Windows Vista Business.
- ..\PostgreSQL\8.3\data is existing and empty.
- during uninstallation postgre has reported an error: unable to stop
service
- I have deleted PostgreSQL directiory (after uninstall), but when I try to
install it still display message that "The database cluster initialisation
failed."

Dave Page-7 wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 11:02 AM, aerkain <aerkain@seznam.cz> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, Ive found it.
>
> It appears that initdb itself is failing. Is the data directory you
> are trying to use an existing (but empty) directory? If so, please try
> deleting it and re-installing.
>
> Also, what OS is this exactly - vista?
>
> --
> Dave Page
> EnterpriseDB UK:   http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Installation problem "...The database cluster initialization failed.."

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 8:32 PM, aerkain <aerkain@seznam.cz> wrote:

> - It is Windows Vista Business.
> - ..\PostgreSQL\8.3\data is existing and empty.
> - during uninstallation postgre has reported an error: unable to stop
> service
> - I have deleted PostgreSQL directiory (after uninstall), but when I try to
> install it still display message that "The database cluster initialisation
> failed."

Can you run it manually?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/app-initdb.html

--
Dave Page

Re: Installation problem "...The database cluster initialization failed.."

От
John R Pierce
aerkain wrote:
> - It is Windows Vista Business.
> - ..\PostgreSQL\8.3\data is existing and empty.
> - during uninstallation postgre has reported an error: unable to stop
> service
> - I have deleted PostgreSQL directiory (after uninstall), but when I try to
> install it still display message that "The database cluster initialisation
> failed."

to clean up a old/failed postgres install on windows...

    * delete the postgres user, via command line NET USER POSTGRES /DELETE
    * delete the postgres 'service', via command line SC DELETE PGSQL-8.3
    * delete the directories as you did.

(command lines can (should?) be all lower case, i just capitalized them
to make it clear they were commands).  older versions use different
service names... try

    sc query | find "pg"

to get the service name for the `sc delete` command...

now, you should be able to clean install postgres

Re: Installation problem "...The database cluster initialization failed.."

От
Francis Dupont
Дата:
John R Pierce wrote:

> aerkain wrote:
>> - It is Windows Vista Business.
>> - ..\PostgreSQL\8.3\data is existing and empty.
>> - during uninstallation postgre has reported an error: unable to stop
>> service
>> - I have deleted PostgreSQL directiory (after uninstall), but when I try
>> install it still display message that "The database cluster
>> initialisation
>> failed."
>>

> to clean up a old/failed postgres install on windows...
>
>     * delete the postgres user, via command line NET USER POSTGRES /DELETE
>     * delete the postgres 'service', via command line SC DELETE PGSQL-8.3
>     * delete the directories as you did.
>

> (command lines can (should?) be all lower case, i just capitalized them
> to make it clear they were commands).  older versions use different
> service names... try
>
>     sc query | find "pg"
>
> to get the service name for the `sc delete` command...
>
> now, you should be able to clean install postgres

I had the same problem!  I found a way to go a step further by checking the
security one the data directory.  It appears that the install process create
the data folder using login you're currently logon.  But it tried to access
it using the postgres login that doesn't have any right on that directory.
I had the "Full control" permission to postgres on the data directory and I
went a step further.

Haven't found the way to get the install all the way and I cannot start the
service yet.

I have a windows 2003 server SP1 running has a standalone machine (Not
connected to a domain controler).

Hope it will help getting forward to a solution.

Regards,

Francis

Re: Installation problem "...The database cluster initialization failed.."

От
aerkain
Дата:
Francis Dupont wrote:

Thx it helped. Ive just set permission for all users on PostgreSQL folder
and then install it. Database cluster has initialized correctly. But I also
get a "non-fatal error during installation".

Here is my installation log for futher examination:
http://www.nabble.com/file/p22054224/install-postgresql.log
install-postgresql.log

Re: Installation problem "...The database cluster initialization failed.."

От
aerkain
Дата:
Francis Dupont wrote:

> Hi!
>
> The problem is the installer.  I had version 8.3.1 of postgreSQL which was
> package with another installer.  I tried it and I didn't have any error or
> permission problem.  Afterwards, I was abble to get the last update so I
> have the latest release.
>
> So don't search further, the problem is the installer.  If you can get the
> 8.3.1 version you won't have any problem.  I saw there's a 8.3.6 maybe
> they fixed the installation problem.
>
> Regards,
>
> Francis

Thank you. I have managed to install postgre by setting rights to PostgreSQL
folder in ProgramFiles. So solution to this problem is either use different
installer or set the rights.

Re: Installation problem "...The database cluster initialization failed.."

От
"Gaurav C."
Дата:
HI Daron,

I am facing the same problem "Installation May not.... the database cluster
initialization failed."

Could you pls specify clearlly how you installed it. I couldn't understand
following line: "I ran it successfully by place the path in front of command
and now pgadmin shows up the server".

I am tryin to install it on Win Vista.

I have JDK 1.6 0_14

Pls suggest!!

Regards,
Gaurav

Daron Ryan wrote:

> I had the same symptons but used a solution different from that discussed
> by the other users. I could not get rid of the problem by changing
> security access to the folder. Instead I followed the idea of one of the
> respondents who tried to help. I discoverd I could not run initdb from the
> command line. The system could not find the executable file to run it. I
> found the initdb.exe file where it would be expected in the c:\Program
> Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin directory. I ran it successfully by place the
> path in front of command and now pgadmin shows up the server and I have
> been successfulyl using it so far. I am using Windows XP Home and the
> installer that failed was "postgresql-8.3.7-1-windows". I wonder if the
> database may hit other problems down the track. If anyone thinks of
> anything that I should be aware of please let me know.
>

> aerkain wrote:
>>
>> HI,
>> during installation of postgresql (8.3.5-2) I get error message:
>> "Installation may not complete correctly. The database cluster
>> initialization failed."
>>
>> Some info:
>> - W Vista
>> - I cannot find any service: Postgre*
>> - Ive had installed Postgre before, but uninstalled it.
>> - Ive tried reinstall (after this incorrect installation), but did not
>> help, still same problem.
>> - Ive also tried uninstall; Delete all postre registry (via regedit);
>> Delete by cmd->net user postgres /delete; Delete all files in PostgreSQL
>> installation folder.
>>
>> Any suggestions how install postgre correctly?
>>
>> Thank you kindly for responce

Re: Installation problem "...The database cluster initialization failed.."

От
Kedar Joshi
Дата:
Finally guys...got this thing to work....just follow the simple steps....

1] Allow full access to all users ( including "postgres" user) on "Postgres
Folder".
2] Make "postgres" user as the owner of the data directory....

This is should install postgres without any error.... I got it to
work..finally....

Re: Installation problem "...The database cluster initialization failed.."

От
GunnarH
Дата:
Hi!

I got exactly the same error message in Windows 7 with installer
postgresql-8.4.4-1-windows.exe. The solution there seems to be to run the
installer one more time and specify that the data folder should be a new
folder, not placed within the postgreSQL installation. I put mine in
C:\postgreSQLdata .

Re: Re: Installation problem "...The database cluster initialization failed.."

От
Ashesh Vashi
Дата:
Hi,

Can you please provide the install-postgres.log file found under %TEMP%
directory.

--
Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA: Enterprise Postgres Company<http://www.enterprisedb.com>

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 1:06 PM, GunnarH <gunnar.hovmark@st.se> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I got exactly the same error message in Windows 7 with installer
> postgresql-8.4.4-1-windows.exe. The solution there seems to be to run the
> installer one more time and specify that the data folder should be a new
> folder, not placed within the postgreSQL installation. I put mine in
> C:\postgreSQLdata .

Re: Installation problem "...The database cluster initialization failed.."

От
GunnarH
Дата:
Hi!

I have sent it in an e-mail to you. Unfortunately I only have it from the
second, successful run of the installer.

Best regards,
Gunnar