Обсуждение: order by question.

order by question.

От
"Jose Blanco"
Дата:
I'm using version 7.3 of postgres and when I issue the following command

select author, sort_author from itemsbyauthor where sort_author like 'tan%';

I get the following results:

Author                          sort_author

Tan, Weihong            | tan, weihong

 Tang, S. C.             | tang, s. c.

 Tan, Fang               | tan, fang

Note how the tan's are not grouped together when I think they should be.  Is
this something that is fixed in a more current version of postgres?

Thank you!

Re: order by question.

От
Douglas Toltzman
Дата:
Your query doesn't appear to include an "order by" clause.  The=20=20
results won't be sorted without an "order by".

On May 3, 2007, at 4:12 PM, Jose Blanco wrote:

> I=92m using version 7.3 of postgres and when I issue the following=20=20
> command
>

> select author, sort_author from itemsbyauthor where sort_author=20=20
> like 'tan%';
>

> I get the following results:
>

> Author                          sort_author
>

> Tan, Weihong            | tan, weihong
>
>  Tang, S. C.             | tang, s. c.
>
>  Tan, Fang               | tan, fang
>

> Note how the tan=92s are not grouped together when I think they=20=20
> should be.  Is this something that is fixed in a more current=20=20
> version of postgres?
>

> Thank you!

Douglas Toltzman
doug@oakstreetsoftware.com
(910) 526-5938

Re: order by question.

От
"Jose Blanco"
Дата:
I'll try this question again.

  _____

I'm using version 7.3 of postgres and when I issue the following command

select author, sort_author from itemsbyauthor where sort_author like 'tan%';

I get the following results:

Author                          sort_author

Tan, Weihong            | tan, weihong

 Tang, S. C.             | tang, s. c.

 Tan, Fang               | tan, fang

Note how the tan's are not grouped together when I think they should be.  Is
this something that is fixed in a more current version of postgres?

Thank you!

Re: order by question.

Дата:
"Jose Blanco" <blancoj@umich.edu> writes:
> I'll try this question again.

The answer is the same as before: you didn't specify an ORDER BY clause,
therefore there is no reason to expect any particular output ordering.
Whatever ordering you might happen to see is an implementation artifact.

            regards, tom lane

Re: order by question.

От
"Jose Blanco"
Дата:
This second time I did, see

select author, sort_author from itemsbyauthor where sort_author like 'tan%'
order by 2;

"order by 2"

Or am I not understanding something?

Thanks!

The answer is the same as before: you didn't specify an ORDER BY clause,
therefore there is no reason to expect any particular output ordering.
Whatever ordering you might happen to see is an implementation artifact.

Re: order by question.

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Jose Blanco wrote:
> This second time I did, see
>
> select author, sort_author from itemsbyauthor where sort_author like
> 'tan%' order by 2;

No, your posts didn't contain that query.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: order by question.

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Fri, 4 May 2007, Jose Blanco wrote:

> This second time I did, see
>
> select author, sort_author from itemsbyauthor where sort_author like 'tan%'
> order by 2;
>

> "order by 2"
>
> Or am I not understanding something?

One issue you might not realize is that the sort order for some locales
ignore symbols and spaces for initial scans, so for example, you might
find that "A Z" > "AB" while " " < "B". Specifically, for the data you
gave, en_US would order them "tan, fang", "tang, s. c.", "tan, weihong"
while C would order them "tan, fang", "tan, weihong", "tang, s. c.".

Re: order by question.

От
"Jose Blanco"
I'm not sure what you mean by "C" and how do I change this?

> select author, sort_author from itemsbyauthor where sort_author like
'tan%'
> order by 2;
>

> "order by 2"
>
> Or am I not understanding something?

One issue you might not realize is that the sort order for some locales
ignore symbols and spaces for initial scans, so for example, you might
find that "A Z" > "AB" while " " < "B". Specifically, for the data you
gave, en_US would order them "tan, fang", "tang, s. c.", "tan, weihong"
while C would order them "tan, fang", "tan, weihong", "tang, s. c.".

Re: order by question.

От
Ennio-Sr
Дата:
* Jose Blanco <blancoj@umich.edu> [040507, 14:28]:
> This second time I did, see
>
> select author, sort_author from itemsbyauthor where sort_author like 'tan%'
> order by 2;
>

> "order by 2"
>
> Or am I not understanding something?

Hi Jose,
have you tried to modify your query as others suggested? i.e.:

--> select author, sort_author from itemsbyauthor where sort_author like
'tan% ORDER BY sort_author;
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
HTH
Regards,
    Ennio.

--
[Perche' usare Win$ozz (dico io) se ..."anche uno sciocco sa farlo.   \\?//
 Fa' qualche cosa di cui non sei capace!"  (diceva Henry Miller) ]    (°|°)

Re: order by question.

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Fri, 4 May 2007, Jose Blanco wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean by "C" and how do I change this?

It's a locale name. The ordering is effectively byte order ordering,
while many other locales like en_US have more interesting sorting rules.
IIRC, the locale can only be set at initdb time currently, so changing it
requires re-initialize the database directory.

Re: order by question.

От
Ennio-Sr
Дата:
* Ennio-Sr <nasr.laili@tin.it> [040507, 23:52]:
> * Jose Blanco <blancoj@umich.edu> [040507, 14:28]:
> > This second time I did, see
> >
> > select author, sort_author from itemsbyauthor where sort_author like 'tan%'
> > order by 2;
> >
> Hi Jose,
> have you tried to modify your query as others suggested? i.e.:
>
> --> select author, sort_author from itemsbyauthor where sort_author like
> 'tan%' ORDER BY sort_author;

Oops ... I missed your "order by 2" ... Sorry ;(