Обсуждение: BUG #2643: Auto trim on insert and update

BUG #2643: Auto trim on insert and update

От
"Gene Neely"
Дата:

Bug reference:      2643
Logged by:          Gene Neely
Email address:      paul.neely@comcast.net
PostgreSQL version: 8.0.x 8.1.x
Operating system:   Linux
Details:

THIS IS NOT A BUG, but a request. Found no place else to submit.
I have found no way to automatically trim fields to the length of the
varchar or char on inserts and updates.
I have tried to create check rules to trim to the varchar length with not
luck.
Can this become a Configuration option???
Doing trims of every variable at every sql command execution takes a lot of
time both coding and lookup the columns length.
Thanks.
Gene Neely

Re: BUG #2643: Auto trim on insert and update

Дата:
"Gene Neely" <paul.neely@comcast.net> writes:
> I have found no way to automatically trim fields to the length of the
> varchar or char on inserts and updates.

Write an explicit cast to varchar(N) or whatever it is.

> Can this become a Configuration option???

No, because the behavior is required by the SQL standard.

            regards, tom lane