Обсуждение: initdb and OSX why must I --no-locale

initdb and OSX why must I --no-locale

От
Theodore Petrosky
Дата:
I've just finished the install of 7.3 release on mac
OSX 10.2.2. I notice that initdb will permit me to
init a directory for use, then when running postmaster
using the directory I get a fatal error:

FATAL:  invalid value for option 'LC_TIME': 'en'

Shouldn't initdb check and not init with this locale..

I had to delete, then re-init. Not a real big deal,
just annoying to do something twice.

BTW, what is the problem with OSX that it requires
--no-locale?

Ted

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Re: initdb and OSX why must I --no-locale

Дата:
Theodore Petrosky <tedpet5@yahoo.com> writes:
> I've just finished the install of 7.3 release on mac
> OSX 10.2.2. I notice that initdb will permit me to
> init a directory for use, then when running postmaster
> using the directory I get a fatal error:

> FATAL:  invalid value for option 'LC_TIME': 'en'

Are you sure it didn't say 'en_US' ?  That's what I get on OSX if
I don't set LANG to C (or equivalently use --no-locale).

> BTW, what is the problem with OSX that it requires
> --no-locale?

Apple's locale handling seems to be fairly broken.  They should not set
LANG to a value that their own library won't accept.  I'd suggest filing
a bug report with them.

            regards, tom lane

Re: initdb and OSX why must I --no-locale

От
Theodore Petrosky
Дата:
I will send the bug report copying what is said here
to Apple.

I copied and pasted the error message here so it did
not say 'en_US'.

Ted