Обсуждение: After ~Crash Sequence not correct

After ~Crash Sequence not correct

От
"Henshall, Stuart - WCP"
Severity: Annoyance
Setup: PostgreSQL 7.1.2 on Dual PIII WinNT4 server + Cygwin 1.3.2
PostgreSQL is run as a service and when rebooting (which doesn't shutdown -
previously on cygwin list (hence the ~Crash in title)) I have twice noticed
that a sequence was not properly updated, however records with Primary keys
based upon the sequence where present in the table. (I *think* it was a
different table & sequence last time).
- Stuart

Re: After ~Crash Sequence not correct

Дата:
"Henshall, Stuart - WCP" <SHenshall@westcountrypublications.co.uk> writes:
> Setup: PostgreSQL 7.1.2 on Dual PIII WinNT4 server + Cygwin 1.3.2
> PostgreSQL is run as a service and when rebooting (which doesn't shutdown -
> previously on cygwin list (hence the ~Crash in title)) I have twice noticed
> that a sequence was not properly updated, however records with Primary keys
> based upon the sequence where present in the table.

Hmm.  You're about the third person to report something like this, so
there's clearly something not right.  I'm guessing a bug in the WAL
logging or redo code for sequences ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: After ~Crash Sequence not correct

Дата:
I have verified that killing the postmaster after a few nextval's
leaves things in a bad state after restart.

I think I see the problem: in nextval(), the sequence data written to
the WAL log is different from that written to the data page.  Isn't
that bogus?

To WAL:
        seq->last_value = next;
        seq->is_called = true;
        seq->log_cnt = 0;

To disk:
    seq->last_value = last;        /* last fetched number */
    seq->is_called = true;
    seq->log_cnt = log;            /* how much is logged */

(also, "log" has been changed between these two points)

            regards, tom lane

Re: After ~Crash Sequence not correct

Дата:
"Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev@SECTORBASE.COM> writes:
> It was made to avoid WAL-loging on each nextval call, ie it should work
> like OID pre-fetching: value stored in WAL must always "exceed" values
> returned by nextval so on the after-crash-restart sequence should be
> advanced to value which was never returned by nextval (for non-cycled
> sequences). Maybe I made some mistakes in implementation?

Oh, okay.  What I saw was that the next nextval() after restart was
higher than what I was expecting; but that's correct given the prefetch
behavior.

But we've seen several reports wherein the value appeared to go
backwards after a crash.

Stuart, you weren't running with -F (fsync off) by any chance, were you?

            regards, tom lane

Re: After ~Crash Sequence not correct

От
"Henshall, Stuart - WCP"
Дата:
No. I had fsync on.
- Stuart

> It was made to avoid WAL-loging on each nextval call, ie it should work
> like OID pre-fetching: value stored in WAL must always "exceed" values
> returned by nextval so on the after-crash-restart sequence should be
> advanced to value which was never returned by nextval (for non-cycled
> sequences). Maybe I made some mistakes in implementation?

Oh, okay.  What I saw was that the next nextval() after restart was
higher than what I was expecting; but that's correct given the prefetch
behavior.

But we've seen several reports wherein the value appeared to go
backwards after a crash.

Stuart, you weren't running with -F (fsync off) by any chance, were you?

            regards, tom lane

Re: After ~Crash Sequence not correct

От
"Mikheev, Vadim"
Дата:
> I have verified that killing the postmaster after a few nextval's
> leaves things in a bad state after restart.
>
> I think I see the problem: in nextval(), the sequence data written to
> the WAL log is different from that written to the data page.  Isn't
> that bogus?

It was made to avoid WAL-loging on each nextval call, ie it should work
like OID pre-fetching: value stored in WAL must always "exceed" values
returned by nextval so on the after-crash-restart sequence should be
advanced to value which was never returned by nextval (for non-cycled
sequences). Maybe I made some mistakes in implementation?

Vadim

Re: After ~Crash Sequence not correct

Дата:
Mikheev, Vadim wrote:
> > I have verified that killing the postmaster after a few nextval's
> > leaves things in a bad state after restart.
> >
> > I think I see the problem: in nextval(), the sequence data written to
> > the WAL log is different from that written to the data page.  Isn't
> > that bogus?
>
> It was made to avoid WAL-loging on each nextval call, ie it should work
> like OID pre-fetching: value stored in WAL must always "exceed" values
> returned by nextval so on the after-crash-restart sequence should be
> advanced to value which was never returned by nextval (for non-cycled
> sequences). Maybe I made some mistakes in implementation?

Was this ever fixed?