Обсуждение: pg_log

pg_log

От
Sylvain Simard
Дата:
Hi my name is Sylvain
I use Postgres 6.5.3-3
Why is the pg_log???

I have a program than run 24hrs/day and many transaction has been send
to postgres
eg (select, insert, update, vacuum, (begin work-commit work)...)

At begin, with a new database the pg_log are 40k
After many days my pg_log is come 3884k

It's possible to initialize it? If yes how...
It's possible to do anything to don't pg_log come bigger and bigger...

thanks a lots in advance for your help
Sylvain
sylvain@luxolith.com

Re: pg_log

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
the only way of initializing it (to the best of my knowledge) is to backup
your databases (pg_dump) and a re-initdb of the database ... one person
recently rm'd the pg_log and found out just how disasterous that is :(

btw, would heavily recomment upgrading to 7.0.2 while you are at it, which
has more fixes and improvements then I'd care to recount in an email ...

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Sylvain Simard wrote:

> Hi my name is Sylvain
> I use Postgres 6.5.3-3
> Why is the pg_log???
>
> I have a program than run 24hrs/day and many transaction has been send
> to postgres
> eg (select, insert, update, vacuum, (begin work-commit work)...)
>
> At begin, with a new database the pg_log are 40k
> After many days my pg_log is come 3884k
>
> It's possible to initialize it? If yes how...
> It's possible to do anything to don't pg_log come bigger and bigger...
>
> thanks a lots in advance for your help
> Sylvain
> sylvain@luxolith.com

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: pg_log

Дата:
Sylvain Simard <sylvain@luxolith.com> writes:
> At begin, with a new database the pg_log are 40k
> After many days my pg_log is come 3884k

pg_log grows at the rate of 2 bits per transaction.

> It's possible to initialize it? If yes how...

dump ... initdb ... reload.

> It's possible to do anything to don't pg_log come bigger and bigger...

Try to use fewer transactions, if two bits per concerns you.

            regards, tom lane