Обсуждение: Re: Ohio LinuxFest Booth (October 11)

Re: Ohio LinuxFest Booth (October 11)

От
"Selena Deckelmann"
Дата:
On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 7:39 PM, Josh Williams <joshwilliams@ij.net> wrote:
> A snip from a recent conversation on the local Linux users group list:
>
>> I started using Postgres because of a Postgres
>> CD that was handed out at Ohio LinuxFest last fall.  Postgres seemed
>> similar to Microsoft SQL Server with which I've done a lot of work.
>
> It actually feels rather fulfilling to hear about some of the direct
> effects of our efforts.

Very cool!

> On that topic, Ohio LinuxFest is around the corner again.  We had a few
> folks last year, but this year I hadn't heard if anyone submitted a talk
> so have yet to put in for a booth.  Anyone up for booth duty this year?

Looks like the booth would need to be staffed on October 11th.  Anyone
available in the area?  I think Robert Treat went last year and said
it was a very worthwhile conference for us.

> (And I certainly could use it as a kick in the pants to start to get
> more involved once again...)

:)

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx

Re: Ohio LinuxFest Booth (October 11)

От
Dan Langille
Дата:
Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 7:39 PM, Josh Williams <joshwilliams@ij.net> wrote:
>> A snip from a recent conversation on the local Linux users group list:
>>
>>> I started using Postgres because of a Postgres
>>> CD that was handed out at Ohio LinuxFest last fall.  Postgres seemed
>>> similar to Microsoft SQL Server with which I've done a lot of work.
>> It actually feels rather fulfilling to hear about some of the direct
>> effects of our efforts.
>
> Very cool!
>
>> On that topic, Ohio LinuxFest is around the corner again.  We had a few
>> folks last year, but this year I hadn't heard if anyone submitted a talk
>> so have yet to put in for a booth.  Anyone up for booth duty this year?
>
> Looks like the booth would need to be staffed on October 11th.  Anyone
> available in the area?  I think Robert Treat went last year and said
> it was a very worthwhile conference for us.

That is an 8 hour drive from my place.  Perhaps I should go and visit
that conference.

Mr Treat: road trip?

Re: Ohio LinuxFest Booth (October 11)

От
"Michael Alan Brewer"
Дата:
Just as a reminder:  PostgreSQL Conference West will be going on in
Portland, Oregon on that weekend (October 10-12) as well:

http://postgresqlconference.org/

---Michael Brewer
mbrewer@gmail.com

Re: Ohio LinuxFest Booth (October 11)

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Monday 01 September 2008 22:21:29 Dan Langille wrote:
> Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 7:39 PM, Josh Williams <joshwilliams@ij.net>
wrote:
> >> A snip from a recent conversation on the local Linux users group list:
> >>
> >> It actually feels rather fulfilling to hear about some of the direct
> >> effects of our efforts.
> >
> > Very cool!
> >
> >> On that topic, Ohio LinuxFest is around the corner again.  We had a few
> >> folks last year, but this year I hadn't heard if anyone submitted a talk
> >> so have yet to put in for a booth.  Anyone up for booth duty this year?
> >
> > Looks like the booth would need to be staffed on October 11th.  Anyone
> > available in the area?  I think Robert Treat went last year and said
> > it was a very worthwhile conference for us.
>
> That is an 8 hour drive from my place.  Perhaps I should go and visit
> that conference.
>
> Mr Treat: road trip?

Sorry, but I wont be going to Ohio Linuxfest this year. I do think it is a
worthwile conference, so I'd encourage others to attend (the hotel is pretty
nice too).  BTW, someone should coordinate with Josh W. about sending soem pg
swag his way for the booth.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Ohio LinuxFest Booth (October 11)

От
Joshua Drake
Дата:
On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 13:44:27 -0400
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> > That is an 8 hour drive from my place.  Perhaps I should go and
> > visit that conference.
> >
> > Mr Treat: road trip?
>
> Sorry, but I wont be going to Ohio Linuxfest this year. I do think it
> is a worthwile conference, so I'd encourage others to attend (the
> hotel is pretty nice too).  BTW, someone should coordinate with Josh
> W. about sending soem pg swag his way for the booth.

What about Chris Browne, I believe SPI has sponsored him to speak there
before?

Sincerely,

JOshua D. Drake

Re: Ohio LinuxFest Booth (October 11)

От
Josh Williams
Дата:
On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 12:29 -0400, Michael Alan Brewer wrote:
> Just as a reminder:  PostgreSQL Conference West will be going on in
> Portland, Oregon on that weekend (October 10-12) as well:

Well, drats, that'll pull a good amount of the potential OLF presence.
Having almost zero travel budget at the moment West nearly fell off my
radar.  Well spotted, thanks for pointing that out.

With a PG-specific conference going on that same weekend in mind, who
else has the ability to attend?  Just that if it ends up just being
myself there I'd rather spend the effort in other ways.

- Josh Williams

Re: Ohio LinuxFest Booth (October 11)

От
Dan Langille
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Monday 01 September 2008 22:21:29 Dan Langille wrote:
>> Selena Deckelmann wrote:
>>> Very cool!

>>> Looks like the booth would need to be staffed on October 11th.  Anyone
>>> available in the area?  I think Robert Treat went last year and said
>>> it was a very worthwhile conference for us.
>> That is an 8 hour drive from my place.  Perhaps I should go and visit
>> that conference.
>>
>> Mr Treat: road trip?
>
> Sorry, but I wont be going to Ohio Linuxfest this year. I do think it is a
> worthwile conference, so I'd encourage others to attend (the hotel is pretty
> nice too).  BTW, someone should coordinate with Josh W. about sending soem pg
> swag his way for the booth.

It appears I won't be at Ohio Linxufest either. NYC BSDCon is October
11-12.  Choosing between 16 hours of driving and 4 hours of driving, NYC
wins.   http://www.nycbsdcon.org/2008/

--
Dan Langille

Re: Ohio LinuxFest Booth (October 11)

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
jd@commandprompt.com (Joshua Drake) writes:
> On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 13:44:27 -0400
> Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
>> > That is an 8 hour drive from my place.  Perhaps I should go and
>> > visit that conference.
>> >
>> > Mr Treat: road trip?
>>
>> Sorry, but I wont be going to Ohio Linuxfest this year. I do think it
>> is a worthwile conference, so I'd encourage others to attend (the
>> hotel is pretty nice too).  BTW, someone should coordinate with Josh
>> W. about sending soem pg swag his way for the booth.
>>

> What about Chris Browne, I believe SPI has sponsored him to speak there
> before?

I'd not be completely against the idea; I had a pretty good time there
2 years ago.

I don't have a talk ready, which is a bit of a barrier.  I've been too
busy redesigning Afilias internals to have inspiration left over :-(.
At least, not for coming up with topics "out of whole cloth."  Given a
suggestion of direction, I can certainly write :-).  There's a
LinuxFest in Toronto on October 25th (<http://onlinux.ca/>), so
anything that *did* get arrived at could get reused :-).

I'm not saying no, but not yes, yet, either.
--
output = reverse("moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/rdbms.html