Обсуждение: The future of MySQL (The Project)

The future of MySQL (The Project)

От
"seiliki"

Re: The future of MySQL (The Project)

От
"Selena Deckelmann"
Дата:
On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 6:51 AM, seiliki <seiliki@so-net.net.tw> wrote:
> A blog entry in
>
> http://blogs.codegear.com/

In case that entry scrolls off the front page, here's the link to the
original blog:

http://blogs.codegear.com/andreanolanusse/2008/04/30/the-future-of-mysql-the-project/

> http://www.scribd.com/doc/2575733/The-future-of-MySQL-The-Project

Thanks for forwarding that.  Interesting reading so far!

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
United States PostgreSQL Association - http://www.postgresql.us

Re: The future of MySQL (The Project)

От
Brian Hurt
seiliki wrote:

>A blog entry in
>
>http://blogs.codegear.com/
>
>links to a technical presentation:
>
>http://www.scribd.com/doc/2575733/The-future-of-MySQL-The-Project

The more I read about Mysql, the happier I am that we choose Postgres.

For example, I was surprised to see that (at least according to this
presentation) Mysql doesn't plug into external authentication. I'm
rolling out Kerberos authentication for Postgres, and my only regret is
that I didn't do this way earlier. Hard-coding username/password
combinations in any sort of serious environment just isn't an acceptable
solution, nor is just trusting and hoping.

Also, rolling out Kerberos was a lot easier than I expected. Kudos to
the postgres team.

Brian

Re: The future of MySQL (The Project)

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
People,

No offense, but could we stop discussing MySQL on this list?  I get
enough of that at work.  ;-b

(all the same, nice to hear from you, Seiliki!  Wanna start a Taiwan
user group?)

--Josh Berkus
   Sun Databases Department

Re: The future of MySQL (The Project)

От
Shane Ambler
seiliki wrote:
> A blog entry in
>
> http://blogs.codegear.com/
>
> links to a technical presentation:
>
> http://www.scribd.com/doc/2575733/The-future-of-MySQL-The-Project

I like this line -

Yes, we have a lot to learn from how PostgreSQL is developed!

;-)

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz

Re: The future of MySQL (The Project)

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Mon, 05 May 2008 08:37:14 -0700
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> People,
>
> No offense, but could we stop discussing MySQL on this list?  I get
> enough of that at work.  ;-b

I fail to see why? It is important for our project to see how MySQL is
learning and changing. This is a very hot topic in the open source
database community right now.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: The future of MySQL (The Project)

От
"Jonah H. Harris"
Дата:
On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>  > No offense, but could we stop discussing MySQL on this list?  I get
>  > enough of that at work.  ;-b
>
>  I fail to see why? It is important for our project to see how MySQL is
>  learning and changing. This is a very hot topic in the open source
>  database community right now.

Agreed.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation | fax: 732.331.1301

Re: The future of MySQL (The Project)

От
"Santiago Zarate"
Дата:
+1, we have to see what choices they take (well... you understand i
hope)... so we dont make mistakes and / or see posibilities ahead